Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weather in Paris during the first week of November

Aug 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be visiting friends from Nov 6-13. He's never been to Paris and this will be my 3rd trip, however my first time to visit in the fall. Is the weather during that month similar to New York or warmer? Shall we bring winter coats?

Lastly, can anyone recommend day trips from Paris other than Versaille and Giverny?
Aug 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM

The weather patterns all over the world have been strange so no telling IMHO
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Paris weather is similar to NYC weather (you didn't specify if you meant NYC or upstate - very different weather). I would not bring a winter coat for the first week in November, just as I would not wear a winter coat in NYC the first week in November.

Paris certainly may be damp and/or rainy so bring a waterproof type jacket to which you can add a fleece vest if it turns cold. I would also bring a scarf and gloves since you will most likely be outside a good portion of the day.

There are many day trips from Paris. What are your interests? Take a look at Chantilly, Fontainebleau, Vaux-le-Vicomte, and Compeigne to name just a few.

With only a week in Paris I would not do more than 2 day trips outside the city as there is so much to do within Paris.
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM

I've only been in Paris in November once but I would agree with adrienne. I thought it was very much like the weather in Virginia where I live. I took a raincoat and layers. I did have one day when I needed to use the scarf & gloves, but otherwise just cool weather.
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM

I agree with the other posters on needing rain gear... I was there from Oct 27th to November 8th last year and it rained a lot. Not for long periods of time and sometimes quite unexpectedly so we needed to carry our umbrellas everywhere.

The first few days I wore a blouse and a vest then I found it too chilly so I wore a light jacket. There were quite a few days when we could see our breath in the morning.

I still think it's a great time to travel!!
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:39 PM

You'll be especially grateful for the scarf and gloves if you go to the Eiffel Tower, l'Arc de Triomphe or a cruise on the Seine at night!!
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Have been there a couple of times then and the weather was sort of like NYC - not winter coat weather - more leather coat or jacket - although if rainy it can be chilly. I wouldn't go to Giverny then (not even sure it's open) since it wouldn't look like much.

If you want to do day trips I would consider towns instead - perhaps Strasbourg or similar.
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Giverny won't be open.
Chartres is an easy day trip to do from Paris.
Aug 19th, 2009, 11:16 PM

The start of November in Paris is usually cool with a moderate number of rain days and overcast days. The trees are usually in the midst of changing color. Recent years have been much warmer in Paris than historically.
Aug 20th, 2009, 01:08 AM

I go to Paris often and some trips are in the fall. I will be there arriving Nov. 3rd for 6 weeks.

The weather can vary from year to year, as it does all over the world. I have known hot to cold Octobers!

I was there last year mid Sept to mid Oct and then back for first half of Dec. and this year I was there mid April to mid May.

I always take a black cashmere cardigan..just do some layering and watch the weather before you leave to get an idea of what it might be for your short period there.

I will be taking a leather coat with the zip lining in! I will take scarves and gloves. I know I will be needing all.

Enjoy your planning,

Joan
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone! You were all so very helpful. We will be leaving from NYC as we will be joining our friends in Brugge/Antwerp/Ghent for 4 days and the rest of the time in Paris. We'll be sure to wear layers!

Happy travels to you all!

-Vanessa
Aug 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM

Check out weather underground, wunderground.com, Click on trip planning, then enter your dates and location. You will get a summary of the weather for those dates over the last seven years.