Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland- How to get from Shannon to Cliffs of Mohr?

Aug 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Flying into Shannon want to get to the Cliffs of Mohn after arriving using public transportation.
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:08 AM

To the best of my knowledge, there's no public transportation to the Cliffs of Moher. There are bus tours though. Where are you staying?
Aug 17th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

We are staying in Cork after arriving in Shannon but wanted to see the Cliffs of Moher before heading to Cork. Are there any bus tours that leave from Shannon?
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM

That I don't know. But I'm guessing there would be from Cork. How were you planning to get from the Cliffs to Cork? Are you renting a car at all?

If you were able to do a tour from Shannon, would you want to go on to Cork that night? Or spend the night near Shannon?

If you're not renting a car, it seems to me that it would probably be easier to do a day tour from Cork (when you're not jet lagged) than to try to do it the day you fly in. But I'm hoping you'll hear from others who have more specific into.
Aug 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Check out www.buseireann.ie - for bus tours and for local services.
This links shows you the local service from Shannon to the Cliffs of Moher. There are three buses each day :

http://194.106.151.94/jplan/bin/query.exe/en?OK#focus
Aug 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM

You should consider renting a car in Shannon. Drive up to Ennis and stay the night, then it is a short drive to the Cliffs. From there, you can drive down to Cork.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but you do realize that the Cliffs and Cork are in opposite directions from Shannon. The drive can be beautiful, and use the ferry to cross the river.

dave
Aug 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM

I stand corrected, Padhraicin! Thanks! That's a good thing to know.
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions but looks like renting a car might be easier. I do know that Cork and the Cliffs are in different areas but wanted to see them both.
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Driving in Ireland is no problem, but the average speed calculation of 35 mph is a good one. Also, I meant to say to use the ferry when crossing back from the cliffs heading to Cork.

Ennis is kind of a neat little town, maybe an hour north of the airport and about the same to the cliffs.

dave
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:23 AM

Ennis is about 20 minutes from the airport, which is why so many tourists choose it as place to stay their last night.
Aug 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM

Go ahead...rent a car! Driving on the left is not that big of a deal. The roads are narrower than you're accustomed but remember that if you point the very right point of your hood along the middle of the road, you'll be fine and won't end up driving into the left hand ditch. When making a turn (especially a right hand turn at an intersection) I remind myself that the Monkey stays in the Middle of the road. My ridiculous love for the childhood game Monkey in the Middle led to that silly little catchphrase. You gotta do what you gotta do! Also...a lovely place to stay is the small resort town of Lahinch, just about 10-15 min. from the Cliffs and with all the services you need.
If you refuse to drive...you can take a bus to Lahinch or Doolin and hitchhike. It's still done in Ireland. Altho times have changed. My girl friend & I hitched all over West Ireland 15-years ago, but hitchers were more common then. The Celtic Tiger has afforded many more people cars so they don't need to hitch so much!