Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Got Paris Nov. temps online, but what's it really like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we were going to be in Germany from 11/11 to 11/22/09, but not now, after help from Fodorites.

So, anyone been to Paris in November? 45 degrees (high per online) is doable with the sun & no wind/rain. Is that what we will find, or will we 'most likely' find the 45 degrees gets a lot colder with the other elements thrown in? (I realize that weather offers no guarantees; just inquiring about others thoughts/experience.)

Thanks, Julie
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Hi Julie: I live part-time in Paris and the weather in November is what I would describe as "crisp". There are lots of covered days but not usually lots of drizzle (like in London for instance). When it rains it can be windy and it the kind of rain where an umbrella is useful, but otherwise pretty okay. My husband and I often comment on what we call the "cold humidity" that can make your toes hurt....but that is usually when it gets colder like in January.

November is a nice month-be sure to stop at the street vendors for roasted chestnuts-you will see them on most of the major streets like rue de Rivoli and near the big department stores. It is something I always associate with winter in Paris. Hope you have a great trip.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM

We were in Paris in November a few years back and the weather wasn't too bad at all. When it was sunny it warmed up nicely. It did rain a few days, so carry around an umbrella. We found that long sleeves, jackets and scarves were plenty to keep us warm. That and wonderfully thick cups of hot chocolate!

Tracy
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM

You can;t count on no rain anyplace in europe except possibly southern Spain. Have been to Paris twice in early Nov and it rained a couple of days each time. during the day wore a sweater under a thin jacket. In the evening I usually work a leather jacket (not blazer, but substantial weight leather jacket below hip length. It wasn't especially windy but it was chilly. A little warmer than NYC - but not much.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM

The humidity coming off the river can make it feel colder than the ambient temperature. Layering is normally a good idea.

You may be better off relying on the official statistics which yield averages over many years, rather than the anectdotes of well intentioned travelers who have been once or twice in November.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Yes - but the OP is asuming that the sum will be shining (NOT every day in Nov) and there will be no rain and no wind.

Those are not assumptions you can make about anyplace in europe in November.

And when it's 45 degrees the sun doesn;t really warm much of anything.

Europe is a temperate climate (not sub tropical like FL) and in Nov you need to expect late fall weather. And, no, it won;t feel like Florida.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Did I miss something? Did the OP suggest it would feel like FL?

We have been in Paris in March and even when it was raw, walking was still very pleasant! I doubt the temps were above 45 and there was little sun most of the time.

Layers were essential, as was a good, tightly woven cashmere scarf that could be wound around the neck when needed and just flung over shoulders when not needed.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Here are the statistics to rely on as hmmm suggests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT003570

There are 15 wet days, 2 hours a day of sunlight, high humidity and about 2 inches of rain for the month.

Why not compare it to your own area?

We're from New England and the weather in Paris in November was never a bother for us.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM

We go to Paris just about every Nov. and I have never been uncomfortably cold..and I live in FL. I dress accordingly , usually a sweater and a lined rainjacket. In fact last year I had to remove the line on a few days. Never had much more than a light drizzle. I usually don't even bother opening my umbrella, just put my hood up
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 01:41 PM

I think the OP was hoping that it would be sunny in November, that would make it doable. Which I guess means if it won't be sunny, it isn't doable, in which case you'd better not go. The weather stats are just like they say they are. If you've ever been in a city in that kind of climate and temps at some time like that, which is a lot of the US, it's like that. It's like that where I live (Wash DC) and in NY for example, in November, very similar. November is one of the wetter months in Paris, it's not a dry month weatherwise, so it will likely rain some during a stay in that month. I agree that if you have to presume something, think it will feel colder than you expect what with the clouds, dampness and possible wetness, and wind. Here is a good Paris weather/climate page that shows monthly averages and preciptation
http://www.paris.org/Accueil/Climate/
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM

I was in Paris in November a couple of years ago, so that does not necessarily speak to what it will be like this coming November. I wore a coat every day...medium weight wool..and the one day I didn't, I regretted it big time. Froze my arse off at Versailles.

We had sun and over cast. It rained one night but cleared up by morning, and there was a little drizzle the last day I was there and I was there for nine days.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM

There are plenty of reasons to go to Paris. The weather in November will not be one of them. You might get lucky, you might not. Only you can decide whether grey skies, cool/cold temps, and a fair chance of rain are enough reason to worry.

Personally, I don't really care about the weather but, objectively, the weather in Paris in November is very often unpleasant.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think the temps that u are accustomed to will make a difference how comfortable u are in Paris in November. I live in DC and go to Paris alot in Jan/February and have never minded the weather -- it seems mild compared to the miserable DC winters. The weather I least liked in Paris was July when it was hot.

As has been suggested, pack clothes for the worst weather and then you'll be prepared...you're in Paris, it will be fabulous!
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 06:08 PM

The OP posted on another thread about how awfully cold it seemed to be in Berlin at that time of year and, I think, is hoping that Paris will be significantly warmer. they said they were from FL and seemed to think that 45 was very cold.

I've been to europe in all seasons and have never found it too cold - although parts of Italy were way too hot in early summer.

It all depends on what you're used to.

And while temps in the 70's may feel warmer if you get a lot of sun - in November daylight hours are short and even full sun typically won't make temps feel a lot warmer. And gray skies and rain are fairly common at that time of year.

Just don;t want the OP to be disappointed by what the weather will really be like. (Some people just aren;t comfortable in temps like that, besides possibly not having proper clothing for the weather.)
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Did you decide not to go to Berlin based on the weather? I was there last year for the Markets in mid December and it was not cold. I have been in Paris in November several times and agree w/the posters. Have seen slight rain, sun, warm weather and cold weather. Bring layers and an umbrella. Don't forget the scarf...and a hat...it will save you.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You are going in <u>November</u>. As some above have said, you may be lucky, but you most definitely cannot count on having nice, or even semi-pleasant weather.

Take to heart what travelgourmet posted . . . "<i> . . . objectively, the weather in Paris in November is very often unpleasant.</i>"

If you wanted warm/dry/sunny you wouldn't pick northern Europe in Nov. But it is Paris and it is a great place to visit any time of year IF you wear the appropriate clothing.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM

Spent a week in Paris over Thanksgiving and we found it pretty pleasant, generally. Chilly, like New York. (Paris latitude is more like Maine, but is milder)

Expect to feel good wearing a sweater under your coat or jacket. Sometimes I was quite comfortable in a sport coat, but generally we also employed our scarves and gloves. Rain only one day, and light. The cool weather gives one an appetite, and where better to exercise that?

We woke up to four inches of snow the morning we left, rare for Paris in the fall! But beautiful.

It's a pleasure to wander a beautiful city on crisp fall days. Expect chilly mornings, frost on the parks. Be pleasantly surprised if you have lots of sun. Take a cozy coat, a beautiful scarf, a handy umbrella and enjoy yourselves. I'd go again in a flash.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM

November will be OK for someone from Colorado or Alaska, perfect if you are from UK, cold if you are from Asia. But, it will be nice (as you dont want to in Paris during July and August), Paris is more concentrate to be rather than London, so even if its raining (it was raining when we there 2 weeks ago and it was pouring in the morning, but sunshine after 11am), its a pleasant walk from one area to another or by Metro.

We were staying at St Christophers Inn (a youth hostel, and we were the oldest couple at 57) but it was cheap, we have a private room and share bathroom and wc and they are clean) and we loved the area, not touristic and lots of Maroccan restaurant and cheap, good boulangerie).

Aaah Paris in November, I will be there every weekend if we live in Europe and easyJet is there to take you there cheaply!!!
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM

It's all anecdotal but on many business trips over 20 years, I found November and December in Paris relatively mild compared to where I used to live (New England and northern Missouri). I do remember gray, short days but not much rain and some sun. Can't be much more help--sort of like predicting the market based on past performance.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 02:04 AM

If you're going somewhere for the weather, then don't go to Paris in November. If you want to go to a stunning and fascinating city, then go to Paris in November. It might rain, it might be sunny, it might be windy, it might not, you might not see the sun, it might be sunny and clear all day.....You can check sunrise and sunset, to see how long the days will be. I'm of the mind that there's no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes.
Btw, my first trip to New York was in the month of May....it was over 90F every day I was there....obviously not the average for the time of year....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -