Weather in March??

Aug 16th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Weather in March??

I'm thinking about possibly traveling to Rome, Florence, and Venice in March 2006. What's the weather like?? Is it REAL chilly?? Any suggestions on packages??
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:05 PM
rex

Good chance of being similar to Boston or Detroit. Snow quite unlikely. My one and only March trip to Italy included enough snow for a roadside five minute snowball fight at the Austria-Italy border, two gray drizzly days in Venice barely 50 F (het still quite magical), and one really pleasant 59 degree sunny day in Bassano del Grappa, less than 75 mile away, en route back to Austria.

Packages? You mean like a "packaged tour"? Air plus hotel only?

Most of the "regulars" here (like myself) are pretty darn close to evangelically negative on "packages". "We" feel that you can get "dead on" what you want, for the same price if not better, rather than the "deal" someone purchased en masse for you, and is now trying to sell you, at a profit, whether it's where you want to go/stay/eat or not.

Of course, if you specifically WANT "their" buses, tour guides, their luggage "schleppers", etc. then there are some number of people who can tell you what they paid to whom for hat, and what kind of prices they paid for it. The "barebones" packages get frequent mention in the daily (free) newsletter from Frommers.com (e-mailed to you) - - it could be worth your while to subscribe to it, to follow what they mention over the next few months. "Deals" for March travel will start appearing soon, and come and go at least through Thanksgiving.

Best wishes,

Rex
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:41 PM
jgg

We were there last March 11 - 26. Just two or three weeks before we left they were having one of the coldest winters. On Slow Trav someone was posting pictures of it snowing in Venice! By the time we got there, the weather was quite nice. It was 70 degrees the day we left Rome!

We had one day of drizzle in Florence. Basically it is just the luck of the draw. Don't hesitate to go. We almost didn't do Venice, because my husband just had visions of it being wet, wet, wet. Needless to say, it was beautiful, we had no rain, and are so thankful we didn't decide to change that due to the month we were travelling. Just be prepared, and then enjoy.
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:41 PM

I went the 1st two weeks of March 02. The weather was great. Rome 52-55 deg. Florence 48-52 deg. Not sure about Venice. In 14 days, there were 3 days of intermentant light drizzle. A light jacket was fine when needed, except for rain.

I do not like package tours. They do not do what I want and rush through a lot of stuff. You can spend a week in Rome and environs alone, and the tours spend 2 to 2.5 days. Also, my choice in dining is classier than most tours. Most cost more than going your own.
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Hi Pauli,

Since few people do go in March, I'll chime in with my experience. We were skiing out of Cortina in mid-March. During the last part of the month we BRIEFLY visited Venice, Florence, Amalfi Coast (family) and Rome.

Venice was cool and damp. Wore winter coats, but no hat or gloves necessary. Almost deserted and lots of atmosphere.

Florence, hazy and a bit warmer. Jam packed with school tour groups and others during week prior to Easter. 2 1/2 hour wait for the Uffizi (SP?). That was before the days of reservations!

Amalfi Coast, 2 out of 3 nights of torrential rain with thunder and lightening. Days were pleasant and it was a great time to visit Pompeii. Perfect temps and not crowded or dusty.

Rome, much warmer. Too warm for even a light jacket. Very crowded for Palm Sunday - and - a hard lesson learned - Sistine Chapel is closed on Palm Sundays. But we did see the Pope, John Paul.

Trains uncrowded too. Skiing was GREAT!
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Rome and Tuscany, mid-March 2005: Max temp. was 21 degrees C i.e. 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

No rain, cloudless spring days in Tuscany and Rome, too.

Only fear was sunburn -- after a record cold winter, moreover.