Rome, Venice in March - cons

Jul 7th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Rome, Venice in March - cons

I need you people to advise me on going to Rome and Venice in mid-March.
Thanks
Jul 7th, 2005, 06:41 AM

We were there this past April, first two weeks. Chilly in AM in Rome but high 50s, low 60s in PM. Sunny and nice.

Venice sucked (weather wise)!!!!!! Cold, rainy, VERY windy, over cast. Almost didn't get our gondola ride. However, we ran into some people in Rome (where we started our trip) who had started their trip in Venice the last week in March and said they had great weather. Luck of the draw!
Jul 7th, 2005, 07:06 AM

For me,March is a great time to be in Italy. Sure,the weather is a bit iffy,but the lines are shorter,the crowds a bit less and prices lower.I don't think I'll ever go in summer!
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM

As in many places in the world in March, Italy's weather is unpredictable. In 2005, March was a lovely time to visit. From March 10 on to the end of the month it was sunny and warm in Rome.
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM

When I was there the first two weeks of March 2002, the weather was great. Roam 50-55 degree, Florence 50 degrees. I only had to wear a light jacket twicein the hill county. I wore short sleeve shirts. Rained lightly 2 days, several overcast days. Not sure about Venice.

Of course, temps are what your used to or like. When I left Wyoming, it was 5 degrees with 80mpr winds. Anything is better than this, but the 50-60's is the temp I like best.
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:59 AM

We went to Rome, Florence and Venice this past March. Before we left it was forecast to rain the entire time. Instead we lucked out and had beautiful spring weather. I believe the highs reached the 60s. When the sun went down I was glad to have the scarf I bought in Rome though. Also, it's great to go when tourism isn't quite as its height!
Jul 7th, 2005, 09:48 AM
dcd

We were in Rome and Venice between 3/16 and 3/26 of this year. In Rome, the weather was unseasonably warm and sunny (mid to upper 60s). In Venice, the temp was near normal and more overcast than not. While there, I learned the weather is highly unpredictable that time of year, as confirmed by the other posters here. Suspecting as much, we came prepared for sun or rain and cold or warm. There were plenty of tourists, most of whom seemed to be high school kids from around the world, but nowhere near the numbers seen in the summer. The hotel rates change from low season to high during parts of March. All in all, we thought it was an excellent time to travel primarily because of the lower rates and the smaller crowds. We would do it again.

Dave
Jul 7th, 2005, 10:42 AM

We were in Rome in March last year and couldn't have been happier, especially coming from cold and windy Vienna! The weather was fine, I believe in the 50's and 60's for highs. A light jacket over long sleeves was fine for the day, a scarf added to it that was good enough for the evening.

The huge benefit to going in March is the lack of tourists. Lines for major sights were all but non-existent, hotels were cheaper, and it was great walking around the city without weaving through crowds of people. We went back in December of last year and were equally happy. I have absolutely no desire to go to Rome during the warmer peak season.

Unfortunately I can't comment about Venice as we haven'yet made it there.

Tracy
Jul 7th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

So I am making my reservation!
Thanks to all for input.