Notices

Milan, Venice, Lakes in March

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Kip

Milan, Venice, Lakes in March

We are planning a trip to northern Italy for next March (to avoid crowds). We will fly into Milan, train to Venice, and train to Lakes. Any comments? What is and is not open this time of the year? Is there a non-touristy glass factory we can visit while in Venice? Also can someone recommend a 4-star hotel in the lakes for a couple of days of relaxation and dining after touring Venice before going home through Milan?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Alice Twain

March is to eraly. In Venice you will have no problem because the city never goes off season, on the other hand you may get trapped in Venice's carnival therefore you will be locked in just the kind of heavy crowds you wanted to avoid.
Milano is always open too, since this is not exactly a touristy city, therefore you will never find heavy crowds in Milano either.
The lakes are an altoghether different problem: lots of places will be closed (hotels, restaurants etc.).
Also the weather will be still cold and rainy (in particular on the lakes), in late March spring will be only starting to dilute the winter cold. Much better to postpone your trip of at least one month. Mid April or eraly May vill have finer weather, a bit less rain (April is a rainy month too, but not like March, there is a saying that goes: marzo pazzerello, guarda il sole e apri l'ombrello, which means that March is mad and you have to open your umbrella while you can still see the sun) longer days and warmer temperatures in April at night you will still need a winer coat, though!).

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Larry

I went to Italy this March and although there are less tourist, there were hordes of students everywhere. Apparantly March is a month where high school students go on organized trips.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Alice Twain

Yes, March is usually the time when Italian students go on trips, the next two months will be very buisy for them and before march the waeather is too cold, but you mett these teenagers hordes only in a few cities: Venice, Rome, Florence, Naples: it looks like these students go to the same places as tourists ;-P

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Dayle

My first trip was in March. Venice was cold & damp, but not so cold as to need a hat or gloves. Almost deserted & we loved it! Florence was jam packed with student tour groups. It was the week before Easter & I would have expected this. Rome was very busy, but warm & sunny by Palm Sunday.

I've been to the lakes since (in May) & really don't think March would be very enjoyable. Rome might be great in March.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Kip

Thanks for your input, I will back up my vacation a little bit.

Kip