Italy in March???

Search

Italy in March???

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in March???

So, my husband and I just booked our flight to Italy. March 8 - March 23, 2007.

Talking to a friend, he made us feel like we made a huge mistake. He was saying that March was awful in Italy... and that April-June is the only time we should go.

Hmmm.... it might be too late to change our flights. Do others agree with him?
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM
DRJ

I was in Sicily in early March. Brutal!
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:03 AM

we were in Italy in March '01 and it was wonderful (I've also been in June and September). Did your friend say why it's awful? I can't even imagine.

It was a bit damp and there was some light rain in Venice, but Florence/Tuscany was sunny and 70s, and Rome hit the low 80s.

Old May 26th, 2006, 07:06 AM

I guess it depends on where you want to go and what you want to do. If you are touring cities, I think you can do that any time of year. I've been to Paris in December and March and had a delightful time. Of course, there's no use going to the places known for their lovely flowers and things like that, but there is plenty to see and do in a city. If you are totally in to musuems, why not tour those when it's chilly outside? Also, in the winter/early spring, you can often wee cultural events (ballet, opera) that are not "in season" during the summer.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:10 AM

I was in Italy this past March 11-19, in Venice Florence, Orvieto, and Rome. The weather was lovely most days, 50s-70s, though it did rain one day in Rome. Also one day in Venice was slightly coldr with rain (an a little snow mixed in!) but the days before and after were gorgeous and sunny. One thing I really enjoyed--the lack of tourists in most places we went.

don't know how you are booked flightwise, but it might help if you begin your trip in the southern part of Italy and work your way north as the month progresses.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

I suppose I should have mentioned where in Italy.

Rome, Florence and Venice.

I knew someone who was there the first week of April and said it was lovely... hopefully I week or two won't make that much of a difference?

I just want to make sure we shouldn't try to chan ge our flights... I'm sure there will be some sort of financial penalty to change though.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:27 AM
jgg

Not to be rude, but he is probably just jealous he isn't going and wants to put a damper on your plans. We were there in March of '05 (Rome, Venice Florence) for 2 weeks. Weather ranged from 70 in Rome to a day of light drizzle in Florence. March is a great time to go, as things are less crowded. Don't second guess yourself or waste time and money changing your flights. Just start planning the details and have a great time!!
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM

We've been to Italy in March on two separate occassions, most recently this past March, and it was wonderful. Although Umbria was on the chilly side, it was much warmer than my hometown (St. Louis) during that period so it felt great to me. The temps were in the 50's-60's (and even hit above 70 a few days that we were in Rome). Hotels are usually cheaper, and lines to get in the tourist attractions are almost non-existent. I would much rather travel to Italy during off-season, and have no desire whatsoever to experience it in the middle of the summer. I say go for it!

Tracy
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Wow... thanks everyone. I'm feeling 100% better about our dates. My entire reason for March was that we'd beat the tourist rush... and talking to our friend I was in a panic.

Feel much much better... thanks to EVERYONE!!!!
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:40 AM

When my niece and I first planned our March trip, I explained the possibility of variable weather.

Her reply: "Who cares? We'll be in Italy!"

She got that right!
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:07 AM

I fly to Rome almost every week for work from March to December. March is a great time to be in Italy-weather is decent(still can stroll and eat gelato);crowds are not as obnoxious as in May through September and Italians seem happy to interact with you.March 15th seems to be the time when "high season" starts with higher hotel prices and the tourists start arriving in full force(think springbreak crowds).You will be fine going then. I agree with the above poster-your friends is jealous.Besides, I find that no matter what the weather the red wine always warms me up!!!!
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Sorry added an extra S on friend!
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:32 AM

You can never be certain. We were in Italy in the second week of October last year. It was pouring rain for six days before we reached Rome but we never saw a rainy day. We seemed to follow the sunshine and the weather was absolutely marvellous but those on the tour before us had a very cold wet time of it.

Just trust to luck and go. If it's cold and rainy then do more inside things...it's still Italy isn't it? I'm sure you will have a wonderful time if you make up your mind that nothing can spoil this for you.....go! enjoy! and be sure to let us know how it all turned out we'll be waiting!
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've been twice in March, once to the Amalfi Coast and Rome, once to Florence, and was very happy with the weather on both occasions. Don't change your plans, just go with an open mind and plenty of layers for various types of weather and enjoy!
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:33 AM

I was in Italy during the last two weeks of March this year. While I thought the weather outside of Rome was a little cool and rainy, I would still trade this any day for the humidity and crowds of the summer. Plus we heard that the first two weeks in March had been wonderful - warm and dry. Sometimes you just have to get lucky!
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:49 AM

I was just in Rome for 11 nights at the end of March. I would definitely go at that time again, but be prepared for the weather to change quickly. I had some beautiful sunny days, a few overcast with a little rain here and there, and one day with a torrential downpour and hail! Of course, that's one of the days I left my umbrella in the apartment because the sky was blue and the sun was out when I left. On the sunny days, it was warm enough to not need a coat at all.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Tell you what, Itilley. I'm betting I'd take your locale Mar. 8-23 over wherever your friend is during that time.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As march is the end of my leave year, I often have to take a weeks vacation time, or lose it, so I been to Italy in March several times. I have had several weeks where it has been perfect spring weather, but this year, it rained for 13 days out of 14 (The 14th being the day I came home).

As somebody has already said, So What - it is Italy !
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:59 AM

I have been living in Italy for the last six years. Although we live in the north (Ferrara - look it up well worth a day trip!!) we often manage to have our first barbecue of the year towards the end of the month. Of course there are rainy days, but there's the wine, good food and excellent museums and cultural events to take your mind off the weather. Go for it!!
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM

<< Talking to a friend, he made us feel like we made a huge mistake. >>

<i><b>Some friend!</b></i>

We were in Rome from March 17-24, 2005, and generally had good weather, though it rained one evening.

We enjoy traveling during low season to avoid the crowds. For example, when we arrived at the Colosseum, there was no line and we walked right in. Try doing that in June.

Stick with your original dates. And choose your friends wisely.

Woody

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -