Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spain Itinerary - Coming together - any further advice?

Aug 16th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

OK I think that I was come up with a basic itinerary for our 12 day trip to Spain. Would love any further opinions anyone could offer.

Arrive Madird 9:30 am.
Day 1-3 Madird. (3 nights) Would like to do a day trip from there if possible. Any recommendations other then Toledo? My Husband has already been.

Days 4-5 Sevilla - (2 nights) Train from Madrid to Sevilla.

Day 6 - Pick up car - Drive to Jerez for some sherry tasting and then onto Ronda. Stay night in Ronda. (or possible continue south and see if we could fit in day trip to Morocco on day 7. Not sure if it is worth it.)

Day 7 - Drive to Granda - Night in Granada

Day 8 - Drive south to Nerja. (Think it is about a 2 hour drive correct?)

Day 9 - Costa Del Sol

Day 10 - Leave (very early 8am flight) from Malaga to Barcelona. Arrive 9:25am

Day 10, 11, 12 Barcelona. (Include a trip on to one of the Cava wineries)

Day 13 - fly home in the AM

Aug 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM

It's similar to what we did, but we did it the other way around, for a day trip from Madrid, Sergovia is a neat city, we spent one day/night in Toledo and loved it, I would go back there too, if you haven't seen it, I'd opt for that rather than Sergovia.

I would go from Sevilla to Arcos then Rhonda, we stayed in Arcos at the Parador which was at the top of the town and a real neat place. We had come from Malaga, stopped in Rhonda for lunch, you could do the opposite. In Malaga the Porador was also amazing (the one up by the castle), or you may continue to Nerja and stay there. Then I would drive up to Granada for two nights. Then train it to Barcelona...we had driven from Barcelona to Granada with a night in Valencia, which worked fine. We decided to skip Morocco and the Rock of Gibralter for Rhonda as people we spoke to as we travelled talked us out of those destinations. If you have to fly from Malaga - Barcelona, then yes, go from Sevilla - Granda w/a stop in Arcos/Rhonda. We found the driving in this part very easy (with the exception of driving into Seville and trying to find our hotel).

Have a great trip.
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Hi there! I too am planning a trip (only 10 days) to Spain. I have read some good things about Avila and Segovia (both are fairly close to Madrid). We are planning on visiting both places.

Question to you: have you got any suggestions on hotels in Madrid? I am so overwhelmed with what i'm finding on the web and I am so cautious about giving out my credit card to just "any" site.

Thanks and good luck with your planning!

Marcy
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Ian

>Day 8 - Drive south to Nerja. (Think it is about a 2 hour drive correct?)

Yes. Keep your camera ready for the middle & end parts of the drive. Through the mountains & parts of the coast are beautiful. Your itinerary looks fine & very doable.

Marcy: Check out the Villa Real. Smack in the middle of everything. We liked it. 150 Euros Nice modern rooms.

Ian
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Hadn't thought about going from Rhonda down to the Coast and then up to Granda and taking the train. Can you tell me how long the train ride is? Flights from malaga are running about $90 per person since we would fly on a monday. Is the train less expensive? My husband likes the idea of driving up to Barcelona, but I think that might be too much. Perhaps with an overnight stay it is doable. Will have to think it through. We will leave Morocco out. No one I have talked to seems to think it is worth time it takes to get there. Plenty of beautiful places is Spain to spend our time I am sure!
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:05 PM

if your husband likes to drive, why backtrack to malaga from granada?
take the wonderful road to valencia, only 4.5 hours. stop in lorca/or orihuela for some small town experience. then head to valencia for an overnight to see the science center and wonderful central market, and very extensive old town.

hotels in center: Vincci lys.
melia plaza
astoria palace
budget: hotel valencia

restaurants: Xeu Serea, contemporary. menu of the day lunch about 16 euros.

Bar el pilar: great tapas and mussels.

institut francais.. great quiche. across from bar el pilar.. old town.

Riff.. very upscale. just highlighted in N.Y times. german chef.

and lots more!

here you could drop off car and take the high speed euromed first class to barcelona ..( www.renfe.es), meals and unlimited drinks included and separate VIP waiting room witth snacks and refreshments before the train.

if you decide to drive to barcelona, stop off at peniscola, lovely beach town with uimpressive old section on hill and fabulous castle.
The movie "el Cid " was filmed at beach here. charlton heston returned for anniversaries at times.

enjoy!

Aug 16th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Another hotel in Valencia is the Ad Hoc, if you stay there, ask for a room on the top floor...good restaurant in the hotel too. We did visit the science center/acquarium, it was really special. I like the suggestion of dropping the car off in Valencia and taking the train to Barcelona, you do not need the car there.

Europe - Neophyte, in Madrid we stayed at the El Prado hotel (a/k/a the "Green Hotel"), it was in a great location between Plaza Mayor and the Prado Museum, 10 minute walk either way and reasonably priced.
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:41 PM

madrid daytrip/s.. PEDRAZA/SEGOVIA/EL ESCORIAL
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Madrid daytrip: I vote for Segovia. Closer than Avila -- cool castle, aqueduct and roast suckling pig.

Maribel gives great advice on the easiest way to get there in her Madrid guide on www.maribelsguides.com. She has great guides for Sevilla and Barcelona too. Have a great time!