Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weather in Itally in late Dec. early Jan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:54 AM
michelle

Has anyone ever been to Italy from right after Christmas to early January? How was it? Too cold to enjoy? Any of the museums closed for the holiday season? Would you recommend going from Dec. 26 to Jan. 5? We want to start out in Rome and end up in Milan. Thank you for any information.<BR><BR>Michelle

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Ken Slanker

We went to Rome, Florence and Naples a year ago during Christmas and New years. The weather was generally 50s. It rained some (take an umbrella). I thought it was a great time to be in Rome, the crowds were small. The people were great. Stayed a block north of the Piazza Navonna at the Hotel Portoghesi. We are going back again at the end of the year. Everything is open. You can get passes for a Papal Visit by calling or writing the American College at the Vatican. We took train trips to Florence to see the "David" and Naples to see Pompeii.<BR><BR>If you need or want any other info, email me.

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We spent the week before Christmas in Florence two years ago and had very cold but very sunny weather, no crowds, it was truly wonderful. Ten years b efore that we spent the week between Christmas and New Years in Florence and had very mild weather, a little rain but mostly sunny. I would highly recommend going, but it sounds like a good idea to double check museums. December 26 in Italy is a holiday. Also a good time for Venice. I would recommend staying in 2 cities max or even 1 with day trips. Buon viaggio.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM

This thread was started May6, 2002..7 years ago. I only picked up on that as Rome had a lot of rain this winter and I wondered why it wasn't mentioned.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:01 AM

I don't know about Rome, but here in Northern Italy after several years of dry winters, we had two very rainy months in November and December but in this year 2009 we had only 4 or 5 days of rain in almost 90 days.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Very COLD (Rome never seems to be that bad though - pretty temperate compared to other spots)...but...really terrific time to visit museums, etc.! We've been to sights where we were the only tourists around in winter Go for it - just bring warm clothes.