Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy - Christmas and New Years 2010 - Good idea?

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am frantically trying to find a reward ticket to Italy this December using my Amex point s Its been quite the challenge!! I have tickets on hold for coach = 310,000 miles. The flight out in 1 stop in Germany and back its 2 stops - one in Europe the other in the states.
We are 4 (2 grownups and 2 kids 11 and 8.) Is this a good plan?? Will it be too cold? My plan is 2 weeks - Rome, Florence, Maranello, and Venice.
Am I crazy? Any advice would be helpful!!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Hi miami,

well, it won't be warm, and it's probably going to be wet too!

but it probably won't freeze, and if it does, Rome is beautiful in the snow - we were there in February when they had the first snow in 25 years ago all the priests rushed out of the Vatican to take pictures!

not crazy at all - go for it!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM

I went to Italy (Rome and Venice) last winter. It was chilly and rained all week (and snowed our last day in Venice), but on the up side, there were significantly less tourists around, so we had a much easier time getting in places. There was literally no line at the vatican museum, which is unheard of in the summer.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:46 AM

You'll get all sorts of replies and experiences re: weather. We flew into Florence Dec 4 and out of Rome, Dec. 18 last year. We experienced cool weather, mostly dry and fantastic scenery--much greener than we expected (I believe it was winter wheat in southern Tuscany covering the fields). We too waltzed into the Uffizi and the Vatican museum without reservations and no lines--particularly nice for return visits. We found the decorations and store windows very "gentle" and much less commercial, more use of natural things--cornucopias and greens. The cities crowd up on the weekends with shoppers but the smaller villages are quiet. We enjoyed the change from the usual tourist seasons. An umbrella-yes, but not frigid cold.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Hi I have experienced a Christmas in Florence and it was wonderful. The weather was not too bad at all, the snows had not yet arrived and it certainly wasn't cold. The Christmas markets are great and the fact that you can almost have the museums and galleries to yourselves is a bonus, go for it, have a nice time.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

I found new tickets for 55,000 points each!! What a score, but we will have to come back before New Years
This leaves us 10 nights. Is that enough time to do Rome, Florence, Venice and stop in Maranello? We are taking our boys - so we don't want to spend days on end in museums. Hubby and I did this trip for our honeymoon 15 years ago. SO its also a bit of an anniversary trip.
I also wanted to eek out a day trip to Pompeii while in Rome. The kids would be fascinated and we missed on our trip and opted for Capri instead.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 05:21 PM

I think it would work, but I'd suggest Venice and Rome, plus Maranello (for the Ferrari factory, I assume).

We have travelled at that time of year, and the reduced tourist crush makes for a happier visit. You need to dress for the cold - hats and gloves in Venice - but Rome would be warmer.

The food market in Venice in Campo San Stefano would be operating at that time and it's fun.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Hi MBMomma,

you really don't have time for Venice, Florence, Maranello and Rome, especially if you want to go to Pompeii too.

I would suggest jettisoning Florence [at least there for lads who don't want to spend loads of time in museums]. i would suggest 3 nights in venice [allowing a bit of time for recoevering from jetlag] 2 near the ferrari factory, and teh rest of the time in Rome.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM

We spent the week between Christmas and New Years in Rome in 2008. The weather was chilly and misty at times, but nothing bad enough to slow us down.

We had such a great time that are going back to Italy this year for the holidays. We'll do 3 nights in Venice and 5 nights in Rome, with a 23 hr layover in Amsterdam on the way home.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM

I love, love, love Italy in the winter! I live in Michigan, so anywhere in Italy is almost guaranteed to be warmer than it would be if I were home. Plus, as mentioned above, there are fewer tourists in winter, competing for a view of the more popular sites. I've always been able to get away with wearing pants, boots, a shirt with a cardigan, and a raincoat with a zip-in lining. At night, I also wear a scarf, a hat and gloves, and I've never been cold doing that. Go for it, and have a wonderful time!

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:23 AM

We did Rome and the Amalfi coast one year around New Year's and last year we spent a week in Venice during the same time period. Rome and the Amalfi coast were beautiful and Venice was rainy and cold and we had acqua alta (? spelling). Spent New Year's Eve sloshing around in Piazza San Marco -- wonderful memory!
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 08:54 PM

DH and I were in Florence in mid-January. Rain, rain, rain. But not that cold. And of course, no crowds either, so we had no problem getting into museums (and David) with no advance reservations. Lovely!
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Bear in mind that, wherever you are, everything will be closed on December 25, except perhaps some restaurants and touristy shops. December 26 is also a public holiday; museums and archeological sites will be open, as will most restaurants and touristy shops normally open on Sunday. The Vatican Museums will be closed both days.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM

We were in Florence in early December last year. It snowed for several days. (Whether the snowfall was "heavy" or "light" depends on where you come from, I guess. For us from Hawaii, any snowfall is heavy!) But last year the weather was crazy worldwide, wasn't it? Europe was unseasonbly cold.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

I'm so excited!!! I was able to add 2 more nights to the trip!! Now I have 12 nights to divvy up between the cities, although we have to come back before New Years
So Im thinking
4 nights Rome including long day trip to Pompeii
3 night Florence (including Christmas)
2 nights near Maranello (thinking Bologna and renting a car)
3 nights Venice
Thoughts? (BTW, Im smiling ear to ear that I was able to nab another reward flight 2 days earlier!!)
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM

perfetto!
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 05:51 AM

Hi,
I'm Vito and I'm from Bari (Puglia, Italy).
IMHO you've to consider LECCE for a delicious Xmas. There are a lot of things to do, events, party and wonderfoul shops to make xmas shopping.
Lecce is the capital of "cartapesta". Craftsmans make "presepi" with this flexible material (only for example http://www.cartapestasalentina...dex.php?view=presepi ) and there are a lot of small towns around this city.
And the last but not the least: prices. Apulia is one of the best region in Italy for quality/price.

If you want more info write me in this post
Vito
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 12:42 PM

I'm so envious! A friend and I flew to Rome the day after Christmas and stayed to ring in 2010, flying back home on January 5th. It wasn't cold, but it rained a lot. I suggest be well prepared for wet weather. A change of shoes highly recommended so you can always have a dry pair.

This was my third time to Rome and my second time during winter(that one was between Thanksgiving and Christmas). I have discovered that it's never too cold for gelato.

I loved seeing the nativities in the churches and each one was very unique and I thought beautiful.

There was a huge line for the Colosseum (we bypassed it using the Roma pass), but virtually no line for the Vatican(maybe 5 minute wait).

What wonderful memories you'll be making with your family! Enjoy!