Please comment: Italy in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on Italy during the second half of December this year. Should I be concerned with weather/comfort? Have children five and seven.
Thx,
Jen
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM

I've been to Rome, Florence, and Venice in December. Rome was balmy, almost sub-tropical, but that was warmer than the norm. It's at about the same latitude as Washington, D.C. So pretty average winter temps; about 40-45 degrees. Not freezing at all. Florence was a little colder than Rome, but still not freezing, and Venice was a bit chillier still. But nah, I wouldn't worry about the cold. Kids will love it, especially the gelati!! We're taking our two (ages 4 and 9) in May.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:15 PM

I was in Assisi and Rome this summer. Assisi is a couple of hours north of Rome, and was where I spent the bulk of my time.

I was there from the 5th to the 13th, and it was very warm, maybe a little cool at night. Definitely not uncomfortable. This is atypical, but I would expect that it'll be the same this year. I live in southern Louisiana, and it was warmer in Italy than here while I was there (last year).

But, note, that everyone from Italy was saying that that was very weird and unusual for that time of year. It was swimming-pool weather.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:13 AM

Don't underestand pinky's post. If they were there in the summer, how that relates to December. Don't worry about the weather. While it can snow (very rare) in Rome, it is usually in the 40s. Dress in layers and be prepared for some rain. The kids should enjoy the Christmas markets although the one in Piazza Navona is a bit tacky. They may enjoy the Explora Children's Musuem on Via Flamina north of Piazza del Popolo if the weather isn't good.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:17 AM

It is impossible to know what the weather will be like. However, I can tell you that during the second week in January this year, we were in light jackets and the weather was lovely in the 50s-low 60s most days. We lounged on the hotel roof in our shirtsleeves one afternoon. We did have light rain on two days, as I recall. There are lots of umbrella salesmen around just in case!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:17 AM

I should also tell you that a few years ago during the same week we did have some light snow!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:51 AM

I was there a couple of years ago over winter break. Venice was chilly but beautiful (in the 40s); Florence was sunny and in the 50s; Bologna was freezing and snowy, but we loved it anyway and just piled on more sweaters.

The hot chocolate in Italy is to die for, so that would be a great way to warm up for the kids.

I would rather be cold than sweaty and hot when sightseeing, so it worked for me!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:52 AM

Oh- and all the little Italian kids we saw were wearing the most incredibly adorable coats and matching hats/scarves/mittens.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM

We were in Rome this past Christmas/New Years week. The weather was great. Highs in the 50s/60s, lows in the 40s maybe 30s once or twice and no rain. We loved it!

Only time I felt cold was sitting in the Pantheon for Christmas Eve Mass. If you are in Rome at that time, you have to go, it is amazing.

The weather was probably a fluke though, as I learned that December is one of the rainy months.