Weather and Hotels in Malta/Gozo

Old May 25th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather and Hotels in Malta/Gozo

Message: Hi! I am going on my honeymoon to Malta in mid October. What is the weather like? We would like to be able to hit the pool and beach. Will it be too cold? Also, are there any suggestions for nice hotels in Malta or Gozo. In Malta we would like to be close Valletta but still be within public transportation of night life. We are looking for luxury and relaxation in Gozo. Thanks!!

Old May 26th, 2003, 03:53 PM

Weather in Malta in mid-October will be cool, around 72 degrees Fahrenheit(about 22 degrees Celsius). You can expect some thunderstorms as well.

For such a small island, Malta has a large selection of hotels. In Valletta, you may like the 5-star Le Meridien Phoenician. It sits near the main bus terminus of Malta, right outside the city gates of Valletta. It also has a heated indoor swimming pool. Be advised, though, Valletta doesn't have much of a nightlife. For that, you will have to go to St. Julian's or Sliema.

If you type Gozo in the text search box above, you will find several discussions on hotels and sightseeing in Malta and Gozo. Also see aboutmalta.com,visitmalta.com, and maltaweather.com for more info.

I was only in Malta a couple of weeks, but I really enjoyed it. Have a wonderful honeymoon!
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Peep

We were there last year in the first week of October and it was warm during the day and a cool at night. I wore shorts everyday and a light pullover in the evening. It wasn't warm enough for me to swim but others did. It rained one day during the 7 we were there.

We stayed at the Ta'Cenc in Gozo for about $100 a night. We really liked it. Others have commented that the rooms look worn but we didn't notice that. It has a heated indoor/outdoor pool that we enjoyed plus 2 other outdoor pools. You really need a car on Gozo.

Old May 27th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank You! Is St Julians far from Valletta?
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Malta is so small that you can get practically anywhere on the island in a half-hour or so by bus from Valletta. However, my recollection is that buses stop running at 10 p.m. on weekdays and 11 p.m. on weekends, so if you are out late you will have to take a cab back to the hotel.

Regarding hotels in Gozo, in addition to Ta'Cenc, you may want to check out the 5-star L'Imgarr. It overlooks the harbor and has a gym and sauna and two swimming pools. You can get around on Gozo by bus, but they run less frequently than on Malta.

If you haven't done so already, you may want to get a guidebook on Malta. Insight Guides has a beautiful book--the pictures alone are worth the price. Hope this helps!
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:54 PM

Just got back from Malta last night. The water was freezing but beautiful to look at, about 18C.
Frankly, Malta would be an incredibly unromantic place for a honeymoon. And not inexpensive too. The hotels were mostly ugly flat roofed buildings overbuilt on the bays. friends from the cruise I was on stayed at Dragoncar (something like that) at St Julian said the beach sucked. And the hotel too. I stayed at Seabanks Hotel in Melienha north of St Paul's bay which was terrible too. The Corinthian looked like a nice hotel with seaviews but a bit of a walk to the beach. Food was bad except for rabbit stew and octopus salad. If you rent a car you might want to try Farlex Bar at Armier tel number 573520. You have to order your meal in advance, it's a hole in the wall place right by a locals only beach but it will probably be your best meal (and relatively cheap too)in Malta. And entertaining conversation with the friendly middle aged Maltese cook, Egyptian waiter and Libyan bartender will be memorable.