Weather / Activities in Amsterdam in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of taking a 5-7 day trip to Amsterdam Nov 20 or so. What is the weather like at that time of the year.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Cannabis Cup, where coffeeshops enter their finest bud, is held the weekend of Thanksgiving. Lots of Americans floating around town that week as for a fee you pay to sample, unlimited, products competing for the vaunted cup. These types probably won't care about the weather, which will most likely be wet and cool but rarely below freezing. In the Rijksmuseum you'll see the old Dutch Master paintings often have dark brooding skies in the background.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Go to the official site for the Dutch tourist board : www.goholland.com. You can find lots of info there, and you can also write to them and get brochures that show what's going on. Their address is 355 Lexington Ave, NY, NY 10017. Or you can dial toll-free to 1-888-464-6552 and ask for the same info. Good luck.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I was in A-Dam last year around the middle of November. As PalQ indicated, it was cool and somewhat damp...on several nights it was rather breezy and the wind coming across the canals made me glad I had packed a down-filled jacket. Daytimes were, of course, a bit more comfortable and on several days it was sunny. Still, I would pack something that is warm and wind-proof.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 04:11 AM
sandi

We stopped in Amsterdam for 2-days on our way to Kenya, and since we'd left the States in somewhat cool weather, we packed a thermal-t to wear under a sweater and took a mid-weight anorak, wore socks, had gloves and a scarf. The weather in Amsterdam was cool, but comfortable considering we dressed appropriately. We did, however, have rain one afternoon. Overall the day and night weather was overcast, cool, somewhat chilly. We didn't see much more than a few hours of sunshine in two days and on morning of departure it was downright cold, below freezing. So pack appropriately.

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 04:40 AM

We have been to Amsterdam twice over the Thanksgiving holiday period.

One four day trip was sun everyday, and the other was a bone-chilling rain
(of varying intensities) everyday.

On both trips, the weather was very brisk and you needed a lighter, winter-weight jacket or a raincoat with a zip-in lining (also worked well). You will need sweaters for layering in your wardrobe.

Definitely take gloves, an umbrella and waterproof shoes (or those ugly Tote boots for over your shoes, if the weather turns rainy.) Nothing is worse for ruining a trip than having soaking wet shoes that don't dry out and then you are left with a miserable cold to ruin your holiday.

The most expensive pair of leather gloves I own are a souvenir of one Amsterdam trip.

Go to www.weather.com, and check the average high and low temps for that time of year, along with the average rainfall. That will give you your "odds", as best can be predicted, about Amsterdam's weather in late November.

Even with gloomy, cold and wet---we still had a great time. Lots of "brown cafes" for "comfort" food. The museums are all open. The canal boats have covered tops, and the nightclubs and shopkeepers are waiting for you!!

If its rainy, the outdoor markets will be more limited and the panhandlers will be fewer in numbers.

My attitude is ---"Have rainboots, will travel !!"
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 07:43 PM

I have been to Amsterdam a couple of times in November and generally froze to death most days..You may get the odd nice day, but it is very cool and rainy and the wind blows right through you..Bring an umbrella, a warm coat, and hope you are there the week that it just happens to be warm...You will have a great time regardless...It is normally alot cheaper in Amsterdam at that time of the year...
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Amsterdam in cold weather? Sounds like a perfect time to go to the Tuschinski Theater on Rembrandtplein. Fabulous Art Deco era cinema palace, gorgeous inside and out. Get tickets for the lounge section - you can order drinks and snacks and sit in a very comfy seat while you see the movie.