Reload this Page >

walking in Naples...crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
euroenvy

I know this is dead horse subject but have been reading old posts and now a little nervous....but I was a little nervous riding the metro at closing certain parts of Paris and in the red light distict of Mexico city! Now to the question..
I want to go to the A. museum in Naples from Pompeii ..should I take the national train? Or does it not run that often- (I suspect)? or am I stuck with the cicumvisuviana? I really dont want to go on that train!!!
When I get to the station I will walk to the museum ...and back after stopping by a church and the gallery...I lnow I could run into trouble anywhere but where do I need to be the most concerned about (the station,

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Stuck with the Circumvesuviana"? It's the most direct way from Pompei to Naples and perfectly safe if you exercise normal attention to your surroundings... less than would be needed on certain parts of the Paris Metro late at night and in the red light district of Mexico City.

The area immediately around the Naples central train station is a bit seedy, so I wouldn't recommend walking there after dark. The walk from the train station to the museum is along a major road with lots of traffic and people. Take a good map and know where you're going. Be smart with your purse (if you're a woman) amd valuables and don't wear expensive jewelry or watch.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 11:39 AM
euroenvy

Ok I guess i will not worry about the train but when I get to the station should I (A) take a cab (B) take the subway (c)try a bus ...Which is the safest bet for not getting ripped off...
.we know how to keep a safe as one can but sometime you end up where you shouldnt be, ie paris metro and red light district..
My .

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 11:48 AM
euroenvy

six foot friend got jumped on his back by two girls trying to rob him in the forum in Rome.And being assaulted anywhere for me would taint a vacation trip (even disney) for me.....I know there are more dangerous places but I not considering going to South Africa....just trying to minimise problems

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, some foreigners think parts of the U.S. are much more dangerous than where they come from. Statistically, they might be correct. Heck, I was robbed, albeit somewhat politely, in broad daylight in Beverly Hills on a mid-week afternoon, but I wouldn't discourage people from visiting there.

As for Naples, take a cab if that makes you more comfortable. Take a guided tour if that makes you feel safer.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless all of those Neopolitans are "crazy" I suspect they'll continue to walk.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM
euroenvy

Thanks jean and intrepid..
.the subway is only one stop but first time in that station I dont know if I can get to the platform without a hassle.In the future we will be able to do a virtual run thru...
I wandered around the Brussels station last May for about 20 minutes until I finally figured out what to do there ..I dont want to linger in the Naples station as I have heard of the guys grabbing people bags.I wont be wearing any jewelery but will have an expensive camera
that's why I wanted to walk but it seems kinda far to walk and the taxi is so stressful to me... Where is it ? is it registered? is the meter going? etc...it's only three or 4 euros and worth it ..If I can do it.. Any tips on that would be appreciated...
Anyway if I was from Beverly Hills I would get a driver fom Pompeii and have him wait for me ..HAHA ..I was worried about Paris and it was no problem ..I got a cab,went everywhere on the metro and bus and RER so I can do this...I think I can....
Intrepid I went to my hometown which has changed a lot since I was a kid but stupidly I felt safe.It was late at night and I stopped for gas and was harassed by a wierdo.I called a friend and he said why did you stop.. "it's not safe at night there" soo..one always feel safer in familiar surroundings

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM

if your feel that way about carrying a bag in naples : dont take your expensive camera.with the money you save from using public transport you could get a cartload of disposables or even a cheap small pocket digital camera.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:02 AM
ira

Hi ee,

I think that you are being overconcerned,

The train from Pompeii to Naples is a commuter line, used by thousands of people every day - schoolkids ride it.

The AM is uphill from the train station.

Upon arrival in Naples, look for signs for the Metro. It is downstairs. Buy a ticket from a Tabac shop. The vending machines can be capricious.

It is one stop to Pzza Cavour. There are signs at this station pointing the way to the Museum.

It is much more pleasant to walk downhill from the AM to the train station.

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM

I had coffee this morning with my good Italian friend. We were discussing Naples and the Amalfi coast. I was surprised to hear that the area is currently experiencing a 50% unemployment rate. She told me that 40% will become desperate and the other 10% will pray harder. I personally loved the area but it is trashy and polluted. I spent my honeymoon there Oct 2001 and still had a great time but please be very careful with your bag. Also watch out for very small children as they will run up to you and try and hug you, while this is happening you are getting mugged. I had this happen in Naples and Sarajevo. The joys of living and traveling abroad. Naples is a great city with a lot to offer but just be aware of your surroundings at all times. Have fun and have a lemoncello for me and a whole bottle for my hubby. He was chugging that stuff like it was lemonade...
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:14 PM
euroenvy

As always Ira your advise is to the point and just what is needed...Yes Im probably overly concerned... just trip anxiety..However it's always be a dream to see pompeii and the museum and I will take the camera .It is only the size of an obese credit card.I will keep it on a strap around my neck and under my clothes.only tissue and meds in my tiny bag...yes thank you for explaining about the hill part I didnt know that. I will save my legs and try the metro and stand by the door and then walk back to the station..I am going to get an Artecard and transportation is free in all compania so I guess it will work for metro and train...

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:56 AM
ira

Hi ee,

>..I am going to get an Artecard ...<

Good idea. I had forgotten about that.

If you walk down Via Santa Maria Costantinopoli (East corner of the AM) about 3 blocks the Pzza Bellini will be on your left. Have lunch at the Pizza Bellini.

Aftr lunch, walk down to the Capella Sansevero (4 blks)
http://www.bellinitravel.com/naples/...an_severo.html
and see the Veiled Christ.

Go one block South to Via San Biagio dei Librai. Go left to

Gold Alley: Open: Normal shopping hours. Main items: gold, jewelry.

You are now on the main drag of
the picturesque Spaccanapoli quarter - essentially one long street that changes names several times as it cuts through the centro storico (historic center) of Naples. Towering tenements (the tallest of 19th-century Europe) jostle with grand palazzi, and the district's swirling Baroque architecture melts even the stoniest hearts.

At Via Duomo, Go N two blocks to the Duomo (or skip it) and go E to Castel Capuano. From there its a short walk to the train station at Pzza Garibaldi.

Enjoy Naples.

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Hi Euro,
Try to get a copy of "Macaroni" - with Jack Lemon & Marcello Mastroianni. It's all filmed in Naples and has great scenery like it really is - doesn't try to gild the lily. I especially enjoyed the part filmed in the Santa Chiara district where you will see the Santa Chiara Church and Cloisters and the beautiful columns. This is just around the corner from the Cappella San Severo with the Veiled Christ . Get a good map before you go and outline how you want to walk with a highligher! And have fun.
Carol / Brahmama
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 10:22 AM

We walked all about naples some 5 years ago and we loved it. Our hotel was on the water and we loved to stroll along there after dinner. Having said that, we didn't wear jewelry or anything flashy and there were 2 of us. Both of us were carring cameras. I had deliberately put on some old clothes and use an old backpack. I usually do that when i go to places with lots of poverty.
I thought shopping and eating was cheaper than any place else in italy. It was before the euro time.
if u could , go over to Iscia. they are famous for the thermal bath. it was v. relaxing. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
We drove to pompaii. It was an easy drive but expensive parking.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:18 PM
euroenvy

Ira sounds like a plan! I will look for the pizza place for sure very convenient! Brhamama I checked out that movie but netflix doesnt have it and amazons has it only in vhs .After Hi def I cant go back to that quality so I passed....Thank you all