Naples...a few questions

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples...a few questions

I am going to Naples and the Amalfi Coast in October. planning on spending a day or two in Naples before heading to Positano and Capri. A few questions: 1) Can someone please give me an honest, specific assestment of the safety issue in Naples. Is it the kind of place where I should just not wear my nice watch, carry not too much cash, and be careful where I walk at night, or is there a real threat of bodily harm?...Or is just like most other cities..."just use your common sense". (I have traveled to many places, some deemed "dangerous", and have found these claims sometimes overstated)......2) I am staying at The Grand Hotel Vesuvio; any comments on the hotel, or more importantly, its location? Thank you.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM

I don't have any info regarding your hotel - and we didn't stay in Naples but just caught a limo from the train station to our hotel in Positano. But while on the train, we shared a "cabin" with an Italian couple who advised my wife to remove her rings and watch before getting off the train. We were then quasi-manhandled by a porter at the train (not an uncommon occurrence). Other than that, it was great. And our driver told us that Naples was pretty safe except for the area around the train station.

So - I'd certainly use common sense, but also don't tempt fate by exposing your valuables.

KC
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 01:35 AM

Don't display valuables, and don't wear the kind of bag or backpack that could result in your being hurt if somebody forcefully grabbed it from you, but there is no real threat of bodily harm in Napoli other than from motor traffic -- which is a genuine danger. Unless your hotel is near the train station, you have little reason to worry about its location. If it is near the train station, switch to a location nearer the port.

Your hotel should be able to give you the best guidance about areas where you should not walk at night. If you plan on taking a lot of taxis, you should also ask the hotel to call them for you.

There are areas where you should not walk at night and even some where you shouldn't walk during the day (but tourists seldom have reasons to be there.) I think Napoli looks infinitely more frightening than it actually is for tourists. There is so much visible poverty, there is the feeling of desperation in some areas, which makes for uneasy feelings. Napoli requires a bit more alertness than Roma, but you may feel more threatened, even if the danger isn't actually there just because the town is so chaotic, you have a hard time keeping track of everything going on right at your elbow.

To the extent that tourists are targeted for crime, it is concentrated in the areas where tourists are most likely to be. Be careful in particular in the train station where many are looking for connections to Pompeii.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 09:17 AM
ira

Hi F,

>...is just like most other cities..."just use your common sense".

Yes.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 09:20 AM

#1 I was there in April and had no problems I stayed near termini which is seedy area, but walked all round, never bothered but of course I was in by 8pm. Ira has it right - use the brains.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful replies.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 10:16 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Vesuvio and loved it. We had a balcony room overlooking the street and the water. Was mesmerized by the motor scooter flying by. You will enjoy your stay I am sure.