Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples Hotel

Suggestions Please
Mid-range hotel naples walking distance train station. Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM

I can suggest Hotel Clarean. We stayed two nights there in April 2005. It is right on Piazza Garibaldi and an easy walk from the main train station. The hotel is new (2004) and everything in our room worked and the bed was comfortable. Shutters were effective at keeping out street noise at night. We could see Vesuvius from the window. The staff was helpful. The area has a bad reputation. There was an abortive attempt made to snatch my wife's purse once in the area. Other than that we had no trouble. Being close to the train station was very handy for our itinerary.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM

If you are determined to stay in the train station area, I can recommend the Mercure. There are two Mercure hotels in Napoli, so be sure you know which one you are booking.

I never discourage people from going to Napoli, but I do discourage them from staying in the train station area, which is one of the most unsettling parts of town because of garbage and general chaos in the streets, including open drug use and prostitution. It is worth the few extra euro to take a taxi to and from a nicer part of town.

But perhaps you already know all this and still want to book there. If you need dinner as well, the restaurant Mimi Alla Ferrovia, near the Piazza Garibaldi, serves classic and legendary Neopolitan fare. Your hotel can direct you.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

I have been to Naples before so I know of what you speak. Heres the deal we will be coming off cruise to Greece, Turkey and we want to go to Pasteum.
Plan is to check in, hop on train to salerno then on to Pasteum come back and catch the early am train to the apt. in Rome.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I've stayed at 3 3* hotels right by the train station.

The Cavour and the Palace are both at the far end of Piazza Garibaldi.
Boths hotels are ok but nothing to write home about.

I did like the 'Grand Hotel Europa' which I thought was a very nice 3* and I have stayed there twice.

Modern rooms, decent buffet b'fast, elevator, tv, decent sized rooms & bath, AC, soundproof windows & shutters (which you'll need if you get a courtyard room, the locals in the surrounding apartments are LOUD ).
www.grandhoteleuropa.com

It's right alongside the train station.
Exit station and turn right, then right on the 1st street and then another right at the next street.
'Door to door' it's probably ~150m.

Both times I came in from Rome on an early train, I walked over and checked-in, left my luggage at the desk and left for the day. Regards, Walter
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Both times I came in from Rome on an early train, I walked over and checked-in, left my luggage at the desk and left for the day. Regards, Walter

This is basically what I am looking to do thanks to all who have responded so far.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:24 PM

I hear you JoanneH. I hope one of these suggestions works out for you. Once inside the doors, the Mercure is safe, basic and quiet if other options turn out to be booked. Just get good directions from the hotel if you book the Mercure.