Search

Naples question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples question

Planning a trip to Rome in October. We are thinking of a trip to Pompeii with an overnight in Naples. We want to visit the archeological museum. We are staying in an "affordable" apartment in Rome and I was thinking about splurging a little on a hotel in Naples for 1 night. Should we stay by the water or should we stay closer to the museum. Which would be better for getting a taste of Naples? Is a cab the best way to get to our hotel, etc? Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Is the archeological museum within walking distance of the train station? N
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:44 AM
ira

Hi fair,

You can walk downhill from the AM to the train station, but I suggest that you take the Metro to the AM.

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, ira. Is there a web site for the metro in Naples?
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 09:43 AM
ira

Don't know.

Do you have a specific question?

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Trying to figure out the best way to get around naples. Train station to hotel, etc.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Well, I don't think you really expected it to be clear in Naples, did you?

Here is the Web site (in Italian only, as far as I can tell, although it says "Welcome" in large letters on its home page) for the Metro in Naples:

http://www.metro.na.it/welcome_flash.htm

And here, very helpfully in Italian only, are the schedules of the bus and/or streetcar routes in Naples:

http://www.anm.it/default.asp?gr=Per...&IdP=36;38

When I was in Naples (with a group tour, regrettably), we were lodged in a 4-star hotel on the Piazza Garibaldi itself (gasp!). Frankly, the Piazza wasn't one-tenth as bad as it has been made out to be. A girlfriend and I wnadered through half of "beautiful downtown Naples" on foot and by bus/streetcar and never felt threatened.

I was going to suggest the Grand Hotel Parker as a "splurge" (because it is in the center of the city and walkable to almost anywhere you might want to visit in Naples), but then I looked at the rates. I don't know about you, but I would probably have to take out a second mortgage...
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM
ira

Hi fair,

The Metro isn't all that good, and much of it is still under construction.

We were able to get around the historic area on foot, except for the funicular up to Castel St. Elmo.

www.mappy.com shows the 4-5 Metro stops as little engines.

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the information. I am thinking of staying at the Hotel San Francesco for the one night after Pompeii and then go to the AM the next morning. Should we get a cab from the train station to take us to the hotel? Then, what is the best way to get to the museum? Is it within walking distance? We would probably just have a back pack , no luggage.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:59 AM
ira

Hi fair,

Is that the hotel at Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 328?

If so, you are <0.5km from the Montesanto metro stop and the funicular.

See www.mappy.com.

Looks like a very nice hotel for a very good price.

Let us know about it when you get back.

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes, ira, that is the hotel. Thank you for the info. We are not going to Rome until October but I will definitely report back if we do stay there. I'm afraid with all there is to see (and eat)in Rome, we will not leave, but I want to be prepared if we decide to take a side trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Hi fair,
We stayed at the Costantinopoli 104 that is within easy walking to the museum. Also it is located in the Spaccanapoli. It was very convenient but not by the water. We did however, walk to the bay and it was not that long of a walk. It was a great hotel in the exact location we wanted and last May we paid 170 Euros. Happy travels.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Mimipam,
Thank you so much for your response. That hotel was 2nd on my list. I was hoping to be closer to the museum. Should we take a taxi to and from the hotel from the train station?
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 12:34 PM

Hi fair,
We flew into Naples and had a driver pick us up at the airport and take us to our hotel. I believe you could walk from the train station but with luggage it is a "good" walk. Ira may know more about this. I think I would opt for a taxi depending on how much luggage you have. We try to only have one 22 inch each with another small carry-on (purse). Walking with luggage in this area would be difficult for me.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Mimipam,
What is the Spaccanapoli?
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:02 AM
ira

Hi fair,

Spaccanapoli is that part of Napoli roughly bouded by Via Toledo (W), Via Duomo (E), Via Tribunali (N) and Via Librai (S).

If you don't have a lot of luggage, you can get to the Costantinopoli 104 by taking the metro from the Naples train station to Pzza Cavour, following the signs to the Museum and walking downhill (South) about 3 blks on Via Costantinopoli or Via Pessina - depending on where the entrance is.

That's what we did.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Ira has given right info. You might look at a map of Naples to see the areas. I REALLY wanted to stay in this area as my main objectives in Naples were the Arch Museum and the veiled Christ.