Walking Distances - Venice

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking Distances - Venice

Just a quick question...

How long does it take to walk from St Marks to the train station? Just trying to get a mental gauge of walking distances.

Thanks,

Rick
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:27 AM

more more than 1 hr at slow pace
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:28 AM

sorry typo; no more than 1 hr at slow pace; it's slightly over 2km
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

thanks
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not going to be a great deal of help here, because I cannot remember. The problem is that Venice is a maze.

Look at a map of the city e.g http://tinyurl.com/3cnknmr and draw a straight line between St Marks and the station, then try and find streets to match - it is a real problem and needs you to cross two bridges. The streets between St Mark's and the Rialto are among the busiest in Venice and an be immensely crowded.

You may be better not crossing the Rialto, heading towards the Campo Apostoli, then taking the relativly wider and straighter route past Ca'Oro eventually coming to Rio Terra S.Leonardo and on to the Station.

Alternatively, this may well be the time to get a Vaporetto ticket up the Grand Cana, stopping directly outside the station.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:34 AM

The mapping sites, at least google maps and www.viamichelin.com, have walking directions as well as distances. And I can plot walking routes -ahead of time - on my GPS.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:38 AM

From my experience, Venice is the easiest place on earth to get lost in, map or no map. On the flip side of that...what a great place to be lost in!
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM

In addition to http://maps.google.com you might want to try http://www.communitywalk.com ... easy to plan, then save and print maps.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 07:09 AM

Just to echo the above, maps or no I wouldn't try walking it if you have a train to catch! I got lost all the time, although to be fair I am hopeless. Unless maybe you have a GPS thing too, despite being only in my twenties I'm too much of a grandma for such new-fangled technologies
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM

It’s not just the distance, it’s the number of people in the streets that can make it slow. And if you are carrying luggage, then the bridges make it slow.
Late at night, if you walked from San Marco to Campo San Stefano, cross the Accademe bridge, Campo San Barnaba, Campo Margerita, follow the signs to Piazzale Roma, then Ferrovia, it would take you about 50 minutes.

But at mid-day, when the streets are crowded, you’d need an hour plus.

GPS functionality in Venice is not all that good at times – tiny streets and overhanging buildings seem to interfere with reception. Paper maps are the way to go, and you need a good one. Don’t rely on a map down loaded from Google.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Between San Marco and the train station (Ferrovia) there is a constant stream of signs with arrows pointing to Rialto, then Ferrovia, or back to San Marco. It might feel like a maze (if you don't take the wide, easy and fairly commercial Strada Nova that leads you straight there with plenty of opportunity to pick up provisions along the way) but it is a maze where you can always figure out your next steps with the ubiquitous yellow signs.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM

Dfourh - some of us can get lost even with the signs! I swear they either disappear just when you need them, or seem to point off in an ambiguous direction... I always got there in the end, but sometimes it did take an extra half an hour or whatever
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 11:33 PM

I remember it took us about an hour from the train station to our hotel which was halfway between Rialto Bridge and San Marco Square - we often had to stop to look at the map - and carrying heavy heavy suitcases, and up and down and all over those bridges, - we collapsed on the bed when we finally arrived !