Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from S Lucia to Venice and then to Treviso?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best friend and I, both of us between high school and college, neither of us able to speak Italian, are going to Europe for the first time. On one leg, we will be going from Florence to Venice via train in the latter part of July, on a Friday. Our train leaves Florence's SMN in the morning and arrives at Venice's S Lucia mid-day.

We have 3 nights in Venice. When we leave on Monday, we will take an early afternoon flight from Treviso. We have not reserved accommodation in Venice yet, as our prior arrangements with a private party recently fell through.

Any recommendations as to how to get from the train station into Venice, inexpensive (but safe and clean) accommodations in the area, and the best way to get to the Treviso airport from Venice would be greatly appreciated.

Suggestions? Comments? Advice?

Please ask, should any other details seem pertinent.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM

I'll do the easiest part - how to get from the Santa Lucia train station into Venice. Just walk out of the exit. The Grand Canal will be directly in front of you as will be the vaporetto (water bus station). Depending on where you are staying, you can either walk or take the vaporetto.

As far as inexpensive lodging, the Hostel Domus Civica is good and is under a ten minute walk from the train station. It is pretty good for a hostel. The Hotel Bernardi Semenzato (?sp) is also a good deal and is within walking distance of the station. Actually, all of Venice is very walkable.

Can't help with Treviso because I've never been there. I am sure others on this site can.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Hi neopatetic, here is a website (gotten from Google) which will give you the information for taking the bus from Venice to the Treviso Airport. Enjoy your trip!

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/..._to_venice.htm
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:52 AM

And here is asite which talks about the various vaporetto routes and the hotels near the train station, etc.

You may have to scroll through several pages

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vaporetto-routes2_table.htm
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to each of you, basingstoke2, LoveItaly and Dukey for your prompt, helpful and courteous responses to this novice. The planning is once again back on track, after taking quite a few hours to resolve the issues as to accommodations. We have decided to stay, with some trepidation, at the Alloggi Agli Artisti, near Santa Lucia Station. The directions you all provided and pointed us toward seem quite clear. Wish us luck, and again, many thanks!

— neopatetic
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM

In addition to the places I recommended you may also want to look at Albergo Doni. It is family run, quite nice and has a better location than the Aloggi Agli Artisti. It costs less too. Albergo Doni is a about a two minute walk from St. Marks Square. I did not recommend it the first time because I thought it was more than you wanted to spend.