Visiting Provence in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be picking up a car in Avignon first thing in the morning and have 2 days and the better part of a third to drive around. Is it realistic to see Gorde (including village des bories and abbey de senanque), Rousillon and perhaps Orange in one day? We are staying in Mausanne des Alpilles. For the next day, I wanted to visit Aix-en-Provence and perhaps St. Remy. Third day would be Nimes and Pont due gard, possibly Uzes and then back to Avignon for mid afternoon. We are not leaving Avignon until mid-day the next day.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 07:59 PM

You may be planning too much for each day. A lot will depend on how much you want to see in each place and how busy the area is with tourists. We visited Provence in late July to mid-August and the area was quite busy. At some places, we had to wait in line or came back later. ORANGE: We stayed in St. Remy and drove to Orange as a one-day trip, visiting the Theatre Antique Roman and a museum and ate lunch. GORDES: The owner of the B&B where we stayed steered us away from Gordes - suggested we see it from outside the town (felt it was too touristy). He recommended Bonnieux and Goult. We spent a day going to Pont Julien (Roman bridge), Bonnieux, Goult, and Rousillon. We visited Rousillon late in the day and it was glorious watching the afternoon sun shining on the ochre buildings. I would have liked to visit the ochre quarries and the Ochre Path but we didn't have time. You could probably see Gorde, the bories, the abbey (perhaps no tour) and Rousillon in a day. Bories & the Abbey - If you take a guided tour at the abbey, you'll need to allow more time. AIX: We didn't get to Aix-en-Provence. ST. REMY: A very nice centre ville! From St. Remy, we went to Arles (Roman arena there but we didn't visit this one) where van Gogh painted (as well as in St Remy). In Nimes, we went to the Tour Magne, Maison Carree, and Roman arena; then we headed to the Pont du Gard. Didn't do the Pont that day because of heavy rain when we got there but went back. Recommend taking the tour through the top of the Pont du Gard - the same way the water went! APT: We visited this city and liked it. Went to their Saturday marche. Hope this info has helped you at least a little bit. I would love to revisit Provence and go back to places - that Ochre Path, a tour of the Abbey (booked the morning we were there), the Bories, and St. Remy. Check out some tour books, too, for tips on time to allow for tours/seeing some of the main "attractions."
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I love Maussane and have stayed there. Great place to post yourself, great restos, and shops.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 08:08 AM
ira

Hi H,

>Is it realistic to see Gorde (including village des bories and abbey de senanque), Rousillon and perhaps Orange in one day?<

You will be able to "see" them, in the sense that a tour bus takes you to see places.

Slow Down. You don't have a lot of time this visit, so see a few things well instead of a lot of things poorly. You will go back.

You might find my trip report helpful: Ira Returns From 22 Loverly Days in Europe - Sep, 2009
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

Old Jun 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM

It's very realistic except for Orange. It's not in the same area and is a larger city, so you can't just piddle around for an hour like in a village where there's nothing much to see anyway.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We will rethink the strategy so as not to be overloaded. There is so much to see and do (as always). We had to cut back lots on our trip to Italy 3 years ago, but it just made us more determined to go back again.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM

The thing to see in Orange is one of the best preseved Roman theaters,dating from the time of the emperor Augustus.
This one is now a World Historical Site. Now famous for the Operas that are performed here, attracting some of the world's best singers during the festival.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

We will probably have to skip Orange, which is a shame. Out of Avignon, we will see Gordes and Rousillon then head to hotel in Maussane. Next day would be in Aix and St. Remy. We can see Nimes and Pont du Gard on our way back to Avignon, which we are not leaving until mid-day the day after. I wish we had one more day in Provence, but we can't alter plans now as our apartment in Paris is booked and paid for. We already have most of a day in Arles as our train from Paris arrives at around 1:30 and we do not pick up the car until the next morning. Just not enough time *sigh*
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 07:04 PM

St Remy is closer to Maussane and Avignon, not Aix
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Please do't think me rude, but do you have a map of Provence and a guide book? If not, you are missing great resources.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM

As far as I understand it, it doesn't matter whether St Remy is closer to Avignon or Aix, as the OP is only staying in one place (Maussane). She isn't moving around, so the itinerary is just how it works out the most conveniently to group things. They aren't staying in Aix, just visiting, they will be staying in Mausanne to visit St Remy. I think doing that the same day is fine.

I really enjoyed Orange, actually, more than I thought I would. I really liked the area but they were having a weekly market day when I was there which was enjoyable. But you can't do everything.