Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Van Gogh/Sezanne Provence and More

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read alot on this forum, read other sites and pretty much know what I want to see. My husband and I (in late 40s)will be in Provence from 9/5 to 9/11 and then head to Dijon/Burgundy for 3 days. Arriving in Avingnon from CDG on 9/5 by TGV. Here is the my list of what I would like to see:
Aix en Provence - Van Gogh
Arles - Van Gogh
Avingon
St Remi - Van Gogh besides other sites
L'Isle -Sur- la-Sorque market on Sunday
Luberon Region - Sezanne' and Bicycling (Lourmarin, Bonnieux, Gordes, Roussillion, Buox, Manerrbes, Apt, Lacoste, Fontainede Vauduse, Garrieres d'Avignon, Goult)
Vaison -La Romaine
Montbrun
Carpenters - Friday market
Pernes les Fountaines
Soult
Uchaux
Mazan
I need help with:
1. Strategic base. I am open to stay in 2-3 places to minimize driving. I do realize that distances are not that great, but still would like a varity in home bases. Small town, villages...preferably no more thaen $150 -200 US a night, less is better.
2. Is this too much to see in 6.5 days?
Please help me to finalize my plans.
Thanks a bunch to all of you
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Simply look at a map to see what village is where you can travel to your choices of more in one day. St Remy and communes are good to visit Arles the Pont Du Gard, Gordes and so on. Aix would be better to visit Sault. You price is fine for most bed & breakfasts or small hotels. It wouldn't be too much if you organize and look at the map.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:08 PM

Hi

We spent 6 days in Provence in late April/Early May. We stayed at Castellet des Alpilles a lovely quaint hotel in St Remy for 89euro a night which included breakfast and secure onsite parking.
We found St Remy a really good place to do day trips from. Our longest day was when we went to Aix en Provence but this was still very doable. Our itinerary was -
Sunday - Isle sur la Sorgue, Fontaine des Vaucluse, Senanque Abbey,Gordes
Monday we did an all day wine tour
Tuesday - Pont du Gard, Uzes, Nimes
Wednesday - We spent the day close to home in St Remy when we did the markets, Glanum, St Paul de Mausole (Van Gogh) and nearby Les Baux.
Thursday - Luberon - Bonnieux, Menerbes, Oppiede and then Aix in the afternoon
Friday - Arles, Avignon

Jane
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

cigalechanta, I did consult the map prior to posting and measured all distances. I figured that fodorites will know unique towns and villages as well hotels.

huett, thanks for the recommendation. I was concidering St. Remy as one of the bases for the sothern destination with the exception of Aix en Provence. I figured that it is closer to Luberon foa day trip. I also would like to spend a couple of days visiting and tasting Cotes du Rhone. I am wandering should I split home bases between Cote du Rhone and Luberon?Thank you again.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM

In Eygaliers I like the Mas du Pastre,
In Fontville, Le Rigalido,
in St Remy, L' Hotel
in Aix Le Manoir.
in Isle-sur-La-Sorgue, Mas de cure Bourse
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

cigalechanta, thanks for recommendation,unfortunately, they are out of my price range.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Brn, Manoir starts at 62 euros. you won't find a better hotel at that price,
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM

The spelling is so off on so many of these places, I'm not even sure what's on your list. Perhaps what you're planning is this:

Aix en Provence - Van Gogh
Arles - Van Gogh
Avignon
St Remy - Van Gogh besides other sites
L'Isle-Sur-la-Sorgue market on Sunday
Lubéron Region - Cézanne and Bicycling (Lourmarin, Bonnieux, Gordes, Roussillion, Buox??? (do you mean Les Baux? It's not in the Lubéron), Ménérbes, Apt, Lacoste, Fontaine de Vaucluse, Garrieres d'Avignon, Goult)
Vaison La Romaine
Montbrun ???
Carpentras - Friday market
Pernes-les-Fontaines
Soult
Uchaux ???
Mazan??? Maussanes?

Hard to help when you can't figure out what you mean. But no, I don't think you can visit all these places, if you really mean visit, in 6.5 days.

You need a detailed, small-scale map so you can see where these places are in relation to each other and how much distance is between them. I've roamed around this entire area dozens of times but would never try to fit it all in in 6 days, unless I was just doing drive-bys. Probably two bases will suffice, one in St-Rémy or thereabouts and one in the Lubéron.

Also, what do you mean when you put Van Gogh or Cézanne beside a place? It could mean you want to visit all the places associated with that artist in that place, which could mean filling up entire days with sights associated with that artist, thereby cutting down on your overall time to visit stuff.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

StCirq,
Sorry about spelling...
"Also, what do you mean when you put Van Gogh or Cézanne beside a place?” I mean that this will add to the rest of sites. I measured distance using Google, and thought if my base is chosen strategically, then I will be able to do it all. But it looks like it is too much. In your opinion or any one who visited Provence many times what should I be concentrating on?

These are my interests: History, Whine, One day of biking, relaxing, may be some Impressionism. I do not want to spend all the time driving…but would prefer 2 different places to stay to experience the local charm and people.
Very grateful
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 09:20 AM

Well, I'm normally not an advocate of moving around much, but in this case it might make sense. Here's one plan:

Start in Aix. Spend a night there and enjoy the city and Cézanne's studio on your first day.

Then move to St-Rémy. Spend 2 nights there, visiting Arles (Van Gogh museum, Roman baths, colosseum, have lunch at the starry night café, etc.); St-Rémy itself (Glanum, the hospital where Van Gogh painted, Nostradamus's house, etc.); Les Baux, Maussane, Ile-sur-la-Sorgue, etc.

Then move to Vaison-la-Romaine, visiting Avignon on the way (Orange too, if you have time). From Vaison drive to all the Lubéron villages, recognizing you won't get to all of them.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 01:14 PM

There is a Picasso-Cezanne exhibition on in Aix until 27 September. I would love to go...
http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/...so-cezanne.htm
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

KatPen, I heard about it too. Although all advance tickets are sold out. You can buy a few on the morning for the same day... That is why I am trying to do everything possible to get there.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM

read my trip report Ah Provence it will give you an idea of ground to cover in a day
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM

I think the OP means Buoux in the Luberon. Soult is Sault.
Mazan is small village east of Carpentras. Montbrun is
miniscule.

Most of the places mentioned are very very small and the
best way of finding out more about them - jmho - is by
googling 'beyond the french riviera'. This website lists
every tiny little town in Provence and is a great source
of information.

Another great font (!) of knowledge is a Cadogan guide.
I believe the OP really needs to spend a little time with
a printed map in order to pare down the towns. There's no
way you can see all these places easily from one site.

Quite a few of these towns are 'drive-bys' with your
restricted time frame. Almost every place in this wonderful
part of France is worthy of a visit but time seems to be of
the essence so a little editing is needed before you run off
in all directions.

You won't be seeing many Impressionist paintings in your
travels - the Van Goghs and Cezannes have left the buildings
many moon ago!

So 'whine' is an interest of yours - hopefully, you won't
find much to complain about in Provence - have a great trip.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice.

Considering every ones suggestions and itineraries and because we arrive on Sat, and would like to get to Ile-sur-la-Sorgue Sunday market. This is my Final Draft:

1. We will start with a central location for Lubéron villages, Cote du Rhone, Vaison-la-Romaine and Aix and stay at that central location for 3-4 nights (out of 6).
2. Any recommendations for a town and B&B?
3. Then we will probably move to St. Remy and stay thre for 2-3 (out of 6) nights and visit Arles, Nimes, Les Baux,Maussane, Pont du Gard and Avignon.
4. On the way to Dijon/Burgundy we will visit Chateauneuf du Pape and Orange.
5. Also as we arrive to Avignon, we may consider visiting Palace des Papes if we feel up to it.

How many Lubéron villages can we leisurely see in a day?
Is this duable in 6 nights?
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:16 AM

Brn2travl, I'm trying to go to Provence at the same time for the same reason! Hoping for those same day tickets!!
I have been trying to figure out if it's possible to get around without a car (within Aix en Provence and between towns). As I'm hoping this will be a grand art trip, I'm wondering what is there to see of Picasso, Cezanne, Van Gogh, and Gauguin (I believe he spent time at the Yellow House too) in addition to the Picasso events, and make a reasonable route.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM

A couple things to note: Aix is a fairly large city. I was constantly lost= get the GPS!

Cycling around these villages you should be a strong cyclist. They are all "hills" i.e. mountains. We drove and never had trouble parking (in May).
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:18 PM

you eill not see much of the artists' works except in museums, nothing in Aix, and nothing in Monet's house in Gtverny
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM

Any advice on obtaining same day tickets for Picasso's Chateau? I've heard that people begin waiting very early for tickets.