Visit to Grasse from Nice on Oct. 3 to 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be o Nice for two days : Sun. Oct 3 and Mon. Oct. 4.

We would like to visit Grasse on either day. We will not have a car so rail or bus tour is of interest. Please advise. Thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:35 AM

There is an hourly bus service between Nice and Grasse.

http://www.lignedazur.com/ftp/lignes_FR/500.pdf

Pay attention to the day of the week and use the correct table.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Greg,

Thanks. I was relieved to learn that Grasse is only an hour or so away by bus. Though we have traveled to France many times this will be our first bus ride.

Anthony
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM

powell, The bus ride is very pleasant. We had a car in Nice but we got lazy and started taking the bus to nearby towns.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 06:21 AM

Greg. If I may ask? Why do you want to go to Grasse? I am just curious.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 07:54 AM

If I was going to be in Nice for only 2 days I would not spend one of them going to Grasse. In fact if I was in Nice for a month I would not go to Grasse for a day. I say this because I spend about 5 weeks every year in the Nice area and have been to Grasse. My bet is that you will be disappointed. I hope if you go there I am wrong.

For an easier day trip by bus or rail (preferably rail) I would suggest Menton. Check out some images of Menton on Google Images.

Larry J
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Larry J. That was my thought but it isn't my vacation so that is why I asked.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM

I agree with Larry and Sher. If you had a car and could stop there for an hour on your way to elsewhere Grasse would be fine. But I would not spend my time using public transportation just to see Grasse.

Some of the more interesting towns in the area are:
Vence
St-Paul-de-Vence
Tourettes-sur-Loup
Eze-Village

Or, easier to get to on the train is Antibes and Cannes.

With only 2 days in Nice I would stay in Nice, walk around the old town, see the beach, go to museums, the market.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM

We went to Grasse by bus from Nice. It was by no means my favorite town in our "Cote d'Azur by Public Transportation (with Cote d'Azur Museum card ALWAYS in hand.

HOWEVER, on the way we stopped at Mougins, a little hilltop town because, yes, one or two places there were on our museum card.

We loved it. The Musée de la Photographie showing all these Picasso photographs was a perfect fit with our Antibes visit. We ate lunch at a lovely little hotel (have forgotten!) and also visited the little history museum there.

We shall not be returning to Grasse but I think we'd make a point of stopping by Mougins again.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM

You can take the train to Grasse now, changing at Cannes. We have friends who live near Grasse (the train line went right above the top of their property) and so spend a fair amount of time in that area. I LIKE Grasse! It's an old, old town with interesting houses marching up the hill, a nice little shopping area with a Longchamps boutique, the fine, newish International Perfume Museum, and several perfumeries. In the past few years the town council has spent quite a lot on refurbishing the old town, and at Christmas the light displays are gorgeous.

Grasse seems to get a bad rap, and I'm not sure why. There are a number of good restaurants, of which our favorite is Lou Candelou--excellent food at reasonable prices. Shop prices are good, the rose garden in bloom is magnificent, and the public facilities by the bus parking lot below Fragonard are beautifully maintained.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Put me on the list of those unimpressed by Grasse. This would be especially so if I was travelling by public transport from Nice and had only two days in Nice. There are much better alternatives much closer to Nice.