Search

Shuttle Service from Heathrow to the city

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shuttle Service from Heathrow to the city

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good shuttle service from the airport to the city? I want to avoid taking a cab, if possible. I will be in London next month.

Thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:00 PM

There is no shuttle like we think of in the states.

Are you arriving at Heathrow? If so...

Depending on where you want to get to, catching the Tube might work; it's the cheapest and not that slow, but if you have lots of luggage or would still have long walk from an Underground/Tube station, that might not work.

In two weeks when we arrive we are having justairports, a car service, pick us up. You can google them and see if that would help.

There are trains that run from LHR; they seem to be very expensive and to only go to a train station in London from which you would most likely still have to walk, catch a taxi, or ride the Tube.

People here on the forum will want more details about your arrival (time and airport), people in party and destination to help you better.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM

We've used Justairports for 2 UK trips (following a recommendation from these forums) and found them reliable and good value. The value aspect does depend on where in London you will be going to/coming from ie whether you need to add a taxi fare to your Tube/LHR Express fare.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM

I would suggest Justairports as well. Very reliable and the price is fixed. I too, used them after a recommendation here.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. Sounds like Justairports is the service to use.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM

If you pay cash (vs credit card) for Justairports, there's a discount as well.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:00 PM

We used Justairports a month or so ago, It was cheaper than the HEX and a cab, the driver was waiting for us in the designated area, carried the luggage, well wheeled it!, and delivered us right to our door. On return he was there 10 minutes before we asked and took us right to the correct door for our departure gate. We paid cash, . The total was 55 GBP, 30 paid coming in and 25 paqid going back to airport. Unfrtunately from Gatwick the price is quite a bit higher, but when we next fly into LHR i will book them
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:19 PM

I booked with Justairports and they said no credit cards. 30 pounds plus parking from LHR to Bloomsbury.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Cadmom: Justairports is great -- but ONLY if you are asking about Heathrow. A car service simply doesn't make sense from Gatwick. Not only the cost as avalon mentions - but the time. LGW is 30 miles south of London and driving in takes <u>forever</u>.

So - if you are landing at LHR Justairports or Ray Skinner at http://www.london-transfers.com/ are both good choices.

If you are landing at LGW, then the train makes much more sense.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Heathrow Express has a 50% discount for parties of two or more until September. Although it goes to Paddington, that is pretty central so a taxi from Paddington to final destination may be cost effective.

Worth checking the prices against the cost of a car.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Fashionista: The HEX really doesn't make sense (even at 1/2 price) unless one is staying right AT Paddington, which isn't very central.

A cab from Paddington to anyplace central (Covent Garden, South Kensington, Victoria, Bloomsbury - wherever) will cost nearly as much as justairports all the way in from the airport. Plus it is door-to-door w/o schelpping bags to the train and to the taxi stand.

Reilygee: Justairports does take credit cards - maybe not the one you were offering. If you are going to use a cc you have to phone them for pre-approval. They do discount for cash though.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:12 PM

janisj I think we have a different perception of central London!

Paddington is just a short stroll from Marble Arch seems pretty central to me.

For two people the train is 16 quid return each.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Yes - it is only £16 return each when you get the 50% discount. And yes, Paddington is 'central' since it is inside the circle line. But Paddington is not where most visitors would want to stay (unless they had no choice) and is not central when compared to other/nicer neighborhoods.

Even w/ a 50% discount the HEX + a cab to wherever the hotel is will cost more than justairports door-to-door. And w/o the 50% the HEX alone costs more than just airports.

Plus if you arrive in the AM like most transatlantic flights., you have to wait out a long taxi queue at Paddington. Unless one is staying right AT Paddington (and that wouldn't be such a great idea) the HEX almost never makes sense
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM

Cadmom: Just noticed the thread's title where you are definitely asking about LHR. That info wasn't in the body of your post and I completely missed it . . . .

sorry for the (my) confusion.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM

I have stayed in just about ever area in London and really don't mind the Paddington area. I have had hotel stays from Lancaster Gate to Sussex Gardens. Really not bad, however, if I could afford it I would opt for Mayfair. Speaking of which on are very first trip, free, we had four nights at the Intercontinal. Afer being spoiled we then had four nights at the old Bonnington.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM

It's worth pointing out that in London "the city" (spelt 'the City') means the financial district: the Roman settlement at the extreme east of central London.

The English for the American-Irish term "the city" is "central x". It's not clear which dialect the poster is using.

If you want to know how we travel into central London, the answer's the tube: I've rarely used any of these car companies and really don't see the point - especially after overnight flights, which generally get you in just in time to get stuck in rush hour traffic if you use a car.

Heathrow's not terribly convenient for the City (Gatwick, Luton, Stansted and London City airports all have tube or overground train connections into the City), but the least hassle way of getting there is usually the Heathrow Express or Connect train service to Paddington, then the eastbound Circle Line tube from adjacent to Platform 14. Not recommended at rush hour with cumbersome luggage, though.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM

True -- if the OP means the 'city'. But the VAST majority of visitors mean South Kensington, or Victoria, or Covent Garden or Earls Court ???