Search

Virgin Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Airlines

Hey. I posted this earleir but under Virginia Airlines...

Hello. I will be flying Washington D.C. to London-Heathrow on May 24th with a return trip on June 7. My hubby and I have never flown on Virgin-Atlantic or flown overseas. Could anyone tell me if it is worth the extra money (about $250 per way) to upgrade to premium economy? I would only want to psend the money if it is way better. Just let me know. THanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: scosner
Date: 04/10/2008, 01:07 pm
Hello. Sorry, I also forgot to ask if the Virgin lounges in Heathrow are free or if there is some fee. We have about 5 hours that we will be at Heathrow before our return flight (flying into London from Rome-which was cheaper than flying from Rome to the US). Thanks again!

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM

I am not sure if DC-LHR uses the same type plane as we flew on Virgin from San Francisco to LHR. But on our plane I would say that premium economy was not a good place to be. First of all they are the 3-4 most forward rows in the coach section but curiously they look right into the first class lounge which you cannot use. So you are sitting there basically looking at first class flyers drinking at the bar in total comfort but you cannot have what they are drinking and cannot get the service they are being given. It's kind of odd to me.

I had a first class ticket but I don't think the lounge was available to anyone who didn't also have a first class ticket. For first class arrivals at LHR they have a wonderful spa in the arrival terminal called Revival where you can take a shower and have a meal before moving on to your next stop.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Jed

We flew VA with PE seats from EWR to LHR. They gave 6' more leg room and 2 1/2" seat width which made a great difference. If it is $500 RT, I would say it is worth it.

We had a A340. I don't know if you will have the same type of plane, but you can check it on seatguru.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM

We flew from Dulles to heathrow a year ago on Virgin in the Premium Economy section and here is exactly what we got then:

We got to board earlier than the regular Economy folks.

We got a seat with some more legroom that was ADVERTISED as having a "leg rest" which turned out to be nothing more than a foot rest attached to the seat in front of us.

We got a mimosa prior to take off and were given one of the diriest looks on record when we asked if wqe could have another one

We got the SAME food as was served to regular Economy passengers.

This may have changed since that time; whether or not any of this justifies the additional cost only you can decide.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:00 AM

For such a short flight I would not spend the money, but I have to say my experience of getting bumped to premium economy was absolutely fabulous! I didn't sleep at all (usually knock myself out) because I was soooo comfortable. The seat felt like a lazy boy, so I just chilled and watched tv the whole time, enjoying the dozen treats they gave out (popsickles!)
VA is pretty darn good. Premium Economy was grrrrrrreat.
I think even for a first flight you'll be fine, but maybe splurge just one way if you can afford it.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM

They have obviously changed the premium economy sets since we flew...they were NOT in ANy way, shape, or form "like a lazy boy"
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM

Well comparatively of course. But at 115 lbs, I am easy to please. I am pretty miserable in economy too though, mostly due to the seat pitch. The PE had an inflatable lumbar support and a foot rest, rather large arm rests too.