Premier Economy on British Airways

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone flown in the upgraded economy class on British Airways (World Traveller Plus, I think)? How is it and is it worth the extra money over regular coach? Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:31 AM

I flew it from the UK to Chicago and back in December 2003. Yes, I think it's definitely worth it (but I did't pay for the ticket). It's much quieter in premium economy and the seat is better (though not as good as business class, of course) and you have aignificantly more legroom. I took a look back at the "regular" economy cabin and was very glad I wasn't there! Checkin and food service for PE are the same as regular economy. However, when I asked the FA for a Bailey's and he said they were available only in business class, a few minutes later he popped back with two mini bottles for me.
I understand that Virgin's premium economy is better than BA's, with separate checkin, welcome champagne, etc., so you might want to check if Virgin covers your route.
Whether it's worth the extra money to you, though, is a question only you can answer. If paying the extra money for PE means you have to cut back elsewhere on your trip, then it's probably not worth it. But if it won't put a serious dent in your vacation budget, then you might want to go for it. Do a search on premium economy in the airlines forum for other opinions.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:12 AM
P_M

I was recently upgraded to premium economy on BA on my flight from Houston to LGW, then business class on the flight home. I always enjoy a free upgrade, but personally I would not pay too much more for that. Yes it was a nicer seat with more legroom and a footrest. However, I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would be. Others may disagree, but if it's more than $100 or so for the upgrade (which I'm sure it is) then I wouldn't do it. However, if you are a tall or large person, unlike myself, there might be more value in it for you. Now business class in BA--that's total airplane nirvana!! But not something I could ever pay for.

P. S. If you're wondering how I got all those upgrades for free, it's because of a pretty scary situation. If you are interested, click my name and read about the emergency landing in Houston.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:43 AM

I flew World Traveller Plus to London in March and I have no regrets that I did. In fact I'd find it hard to go back to regular coach. Amongt the befefits we had on our aircraft were a 2-4-2 seat configuration (while economy behind us had 3-4-3); I had a full 18 inches space between my seat and the window, as well as lots of space between me and the seat in front, a remote control/phone that came off the holder into your hands instead of permanently embedded in the armrest, a small cabin atmosphere since there are usually only about 5 or 6 rows, enclosed by curtains at either end. Since you're right behind Business class, you get to use their washrooms (with roses) and see what slobs they are that sit in those seats !
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:28 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Anything for more room on transatlantics. WT+ is definitely a superior product compared to WT or coach on most other airlines (the possible exception being AA's 777s); the extra inch or so of seat width and the extra 3 or 4 inches (or more) of knee room is very nice.

One note, however. The tray tables in WT+ are like those in biz - they're in the armrest, hence you can't raise the arm and stretch out if you happen to have an empty seat next to you, unlike coach.

Although very low in probability, on a 4-class BA flight, if anyone (non-elite FF) is going to get an operational upgrade ("op-up&quot to business class, it's likely to be people in WT+ before anyone in WT. It happened to us on a London-Seattle flight in May, and the biz beds were gratefully employed.