Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is "World Travel Plus" on British Air?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend is trying to book something called "World Travel Plus" on British Airways. That is a new one to me. She claims it is somewhere between tourist and business class. Any of you know about this?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
World Traveler Plus (or WT+) is BA's "premium coach" product. Seat pitch (space between rows) is around 38 inches vs. 31 in "World Traveler" (coach), the seat is around an inch wider, and has more recline and comfort controls. Tray tables are in the armrests, so the armrests don't lift (so no stretching out over adjacent seats.) Food service is the same as in the back. On 747s the seating is 2 x 4 x 2 (vs. 3 x 4 x 3) so couples together can get the window/aisle seats rather than middles.

The cost for WT+ is typically around 50% over that of WT. Club World, BA's business class outside Europe, is typically around 300% more than coach. The WT+ fare qualifies one to join BA's frequent flyer program, which discount economy fares don't.

It's near impossible to book WT+ on any websites except BA's (meaning Expedia, Orbitz etc.) and even BA's site is extremely clunky. Best to phone.

I think it's a good product especially for long overnight flights, and usually the WT+ sections are pretty full. Nothing like CW (with flat beds and other major bennies) but way better than steerage. Whether that's worth the extra money is a call one needs to make oneself.

Virgin has a similar product, as does SAS and (sort of) UA. SAS and UA tend to block their "economy plus" seats for elite members of their FF programs and/or those spending more for their tickets than mere plebes.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM

WTP+ is a separate class between economy (World Traveller) and business (called Club World), and is available on long-haul flights (e.g. across the Atlantic or Pacific). WTP+ seats are in a separate cabin, usually in a configuration of 2-4-2 in the large planes. You get a much more comfortable seat: 1) a better designed seat; 2) about 38" pitch - the distance between your seat and the one in front - versus 28-32" for economy seats on BA and other airlines); 3) a little wider (maybe 2" wider). I think you might get better entertainment options. Meal service, check-in at the airport etc are economy class (e.g. the same long line as all economy passengers in most cases). No access to the lounge.

Have a look at:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...v/public/en_ca

WT+ makes for a much more comfortable long-haul flight, at a fairly reasonable price. If, for example, an economy ticket from North America to the UK was priced around $800-900, a WT+ ticket might be priced around $1300 (if you're lucky) to 1500.

Except in limited circumstances, you can't join British Airways frequent flyer plan (Executive Club), unless after you've flown at least one trip in full-fare economy, or in WT+, Club World or First (although I can you can get retroactive credit for that first trip). So, if you're not already a member, a WT+ ticket (even if it's on sale, I think) will allow you to join the frequent flyer program.

The other thing I've found with WT+ is that the odds of being upgraded are much higher than in Economy. I've never been upgraded from WT to WT+, but I get upgraded about 1/3 of the time from WT+ to Club. (I think this is because there are only about 48 seats maximum in WT+, so the odds of being upgraded if the plane is full are better than in WT, where I'm competing with hundreds of passengers.)

Virgin also has a very similar product, called Premium Economy. I think it's actually a little better than BA's WT+, because Virgin treats its PE passengers a little more like "Business Class Minus", instead of "Economy Plus".

Overall, I think WT+ or PE are worth the extra few hundreds of dollars. If you don't want to spend that much, though, the other option to consider is flying American Airlines, provided that it serves the route you want with one of its "more room in Coach" planes. This will give you a few extra inches of leg room, although no other perks.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:21 AM

It's a separate cabin from coach that has bigger seats and more room between them than coach seats. Other than that, it's the same as coach (food, etc.).
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:22 AM

I think what you (or she) menas is World Traveller Plus. It is a travel class slightly better than World Traveller (economy) but less than Business Class. I've flown it twice and found it worth the extra $. Fewer seats per row, more leg room and in a small seperate section of the aircaft. Go to the British Airways website and see for yourself.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Gosh, I really need to proofread before I post: "although I can you can get retroactive credit for that first trip" - what the heck was I typing? I meant "I think you can get retroactive credit ..."
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Wow. I gues all 4 of us posted simultaneously ! Now thats surely a first.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Kate Kate Echo Echo
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:40 AM
P_M

I have only flown BA's World Traveller Plus once. I did not book WT+, but I got a free upgrade due to a very strange set of circumstances. On my return flight BA very graciously upgraded me to Business Class, also due to these strange circumstances. WT+ was OK, but personally I would not pay much more for it. However, Business Class (aka Club World) was fantastic, but out of my price range, so I am grateful for the free upgrade. That will probably never happen again.

Note: I am a short and thin person. For a tall or large person, WT+ might be money well spent. But for a tiny little shrimp like me, coach isn't too bad, therefore WT+ would not be worth it.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM

You didn't ask, but...
I think it's worth the extra money for the comfort and service at a price point much lower than business. The upgrade potential is much better too! I've gotten the bump into business once (and took my husbands bump into first class another time).
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM

P_M, Wow, lucky you!

Like everyone else said, WT+ is basically an economy plus product. I haven't flown BA's version but have flown in Premium Economy on Virgin and agree with those that say it's worth a reasonable surcharge over regular economy. If VS also flies the same route, your friend may want to look into that. VS offers a few extras like separate check-in, priority boarding/luggage handling, that I don't think BA does. Also on routes where VS uses a 747, there's 2 x 2 PE seating upstairs right behind the small Upper Class section. It's quieter up there and the service is attentive.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM
P_M

Well, Patty, I was sorta lucky, sorta not. Here's what had to happen in order to get those freebies. I am very lucky to be alive.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...rgency+landing
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Oh my gosh... what a horrifying experience! I'm not sure if I could have dealt with it as well as you did. I have issues with feeling like I can't get enough air on a plane under normal circumstances. I guess you were very lucky, just not the way I meant it. Glad you made it OK.