British Airways World Traveler Plus

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone flown in this class on British Airways? It looks like for double the cost of economy you get 7 inches more leg room. Is this worth it?
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:38 PM

We must have been REALLY lucky, because we only paid about $200 pp each way. It was definitely worth that much, but I would not pay double economy fare.

The seats are wider, and you get more leg room, and it is a two seat configuration on the outside of the aircraft, but it ain't business class!

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM

JIMF....DID YOU HAVE TO ACCRUE MILES ON A PARTICULAR CREDIT CARD TO GET SEATS IN THAT AREA OR DID YOU JUST SIGN UP FOR IT?
British Airways does offer an upgrade from Coach...I think its $350.00 each way.
Thanks Starz
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:54 PM

I flew from Sydney to London and used the World Traveller Plus. I think it was about 50% of the original fare more. I thought it was worth it. The extra leg room the wider seats, it certainly isn't business class but I felt at least I had some breathing space. On the way home I had no-one sitting next to me so that was an even bigger bonus, but even going over when it was full I still felt better. Don't pay double the cost, it isn't worth that.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:20 PM

For twice the cost, I'd start checking around to see if I could get a biz class seat at that price (or thereabouts) on another airline.
When I fly on my own dime to the U.S. from the UK, I usually go this class. It's definitely worth it to me. It's nice to be away from the madness of coach, it's usually much more relaxing, the leg room and extra width are much appreciated. You don't get any special privilegs re food or check-in and you have to use the economy restrooms. Also, one thing to keep in mind is that you can't raise the armrests in WTP as you can in economy if the seat next to you is empty. IOW, if you're flying at a time where the plane is likely to not be anything close to full, then economy might be ok, but you're still taking a chance.

One other thing is that on my WTP flights from Orlando to London, I'm usually offered a chance to upgrade to business for about $200.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:23 PM

I flew World Traveller Plus in 2002 with my Mother from Sydney to London and return - seats are wider, bit more leg room, with a foot rest, service and meals and entertainment systems are the same as economy. We certainly didn't pay double the fare, can't remember exactly but think it was around an extra $500-$600 each. One thing that was annoying was the neck/head rest (which was quite protruding) - it couldn't be moved around up or down or taken off (it was stuck on well and truely as far as I could tell) As I'm short, my head leaned on the rest instead of my neck fitting into it. It was quite uncomfortable and gave me a stiff neck. I had to shrink down into my seat, head below the head/neck rest to get comfortable. Apart from this, it was great, I took a walk into 'cattle class' and felt sorry for those people squashed up together.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:19 AM

You do get a little more leg room and a slightly wider seat. You also get offered a newspaper and you get to board sooner than economy class.

You get the same food and drink as in economy class and the same service.

I considered it when I last flew to London (this past September) since I had used Virgin's very similar "class" in the past. The cost was at least $350 more each way but I decided not to.

Since I was on a day flight mid week I got lucky...there were onl;y a few people in economy and I got three seats to myself; the WTP folks were stuck in one as it was pretty much full.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:48 AM

On most services, WTP also gives you power sockets, which World Traveller doesn't.

However, Maxjet seems to offer NYC (or Washington)-LON full business class all the time now at prices not far different from BA's WTP. And as BTilke says, there's any number of business class deals on the web, often via airports in the near Continent
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:19 AM

I'd not pay double the economy fare for it even though it is a lot more comfortable. The last few times we've flown BA from MCO we've been offered an upgrade for $200.00 to Plus or $500.00 to business. Now that was worth it.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have only flown regular coach on BA. the "Plus" did not look enough different that I would pay double fare.

Now if I could get one of the fantastic fold down bed seats way up front...
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Suze - business class may not be as far off as you think. BA allows you to upgrade from WT+ to Business for 25,000 points (NA to Europe). Obviously you have to earn the 25,000 points, but with a BA credit card with a good sign up bonus, it doesn't take that long!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Only flew once in that class because it was offered to us in LAX upon check in.
Very much negotiable , we actually only payed $50 per seat extra for 4 of us. Started at $200. Really think the ticket agent pocketed the money since he refused to take a credit card, only cash.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Unfortunately, MaxJet has already had to cut back their service from Dulles to less than daily so a lot of us are watching that space. Right now it will cost you about $1800 to fly R/T on them...those "low fares" of $900+ that are rarely available are each way.

Power ports are great as long as you have something to plug in and the adaptor that lets you do it.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Watch for specials with British Airways on World Traveler Plus. Last year my husband and I flew to london for only an extra $100 each and worth every penny for the extra seat width and legroom. The trip was actually pleasant. I don't think I could ever fly cattle class again.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:33 AM

BA coach is particularly crowded (though Northwest/KLM was just as bad). World Traveller Plus is a great relief. I'm sure we never paid twice the coach price. This cabin is very popular and books up quickly, so don't delay.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Well, I've just looked at Maxjet to Las Vegas. And the first flight I tried, there were £599 return trips available. Which actually looks less than the best available WTP to the West Coast.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:45 AM

I know several people who've flown Maxjet b/w London and NYC and loved it.

I've gone on BA WTP on miles. It's basically a business class seat with coach service.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
saltymuffin- thanks for the credit card and FF miles tip. i really need to sign up for that. a worth-while goal -LOL!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I flew WTP last year from Vancouver to London and felt it was worth every penny - though I paid only an extra CDN$200 each way (i.e. a total of CDN$400). It was good to have the extra leg room and the wider seat. But I certainly wouldn't pay double the cost of economy. $200 (per flight) seemed about right.

On the return flight to Vancouver, I got lucky and got what they call an "involuntary upgrade" (not that I protested!) to Club Class, and got one of those wonderful folding seat/beds. I suppose that if you have WTP you are more likely to be upgraded than if you have Economy.

Bottom line: for $200 (per flight) it was worth it, but twice the economy fare is, in my view, way too much.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Starz41, this was a BA promotion last spring, I believe. We were in London in April and these tickets were purchased the previous October - November. It was one of those offers to fill up seats during the iffy weather period. I have seen similar offers since then, with WTP offered for anywhere from $200 to $400, pp, each way.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -