vienna suggestions

Search

vienna suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vienna suggestions

I will be in Vienna for three days and was looking for some thoughts on things to do/check out while im there.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 05:00 PM

With only 3 days in one of the grandest cities in Europe you will barely have time to scratch off the Top 10 from any list you can find on the Web.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>>With only 3 days in one of the grandest cities in Europe you will barely have time to scratch off the Top 10 from any list<<<

The trouble is staying awake any longer. Just kidding.

No idea where your interests may lie, but I'm planning a short visit to the city to visit a few museums, the Kunsthistorisches most prominently. There's another of those ridiculous European palaces to visit, if your taste runs to imperial kitsch. Music, music. Do you like John Irving? Many of his novels have Viennese scenes, and of course there is the zoo. Spanish riding school if you like horses, wine taverns . . .
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 06:47 PM

hi, so what are your interests and when will you be there? Vienna is a great city with much to see/do. Great art museums, lovely churchs, great coffee houses, I loved the Spanish Riding School next to the Opera House, with the big white Lippizaner horses, need to get tickets way ahead or for a training session if of interest to you.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 10:22 PM

The Kunst is an awesome museum! Climbing to the top of the tall tower of St Stephen's is well worth doing. Besides the views, you get a closeup of that awesome tile roof.

​​​​​​If you love music, consider Mozart's house. As a day trip, Klosterneuburg Abbey is lovely.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 10:55 PM

First define your interests -- art, music, gardens, castles, churches, outdoors? Tons of info on-line once you define your interests. I was there 2-1/2 days last Sept, my itinerary reflecting my own interests was as follows:
Sunday afternoon arrived from Budapest, walked around the old city, attended evening chamber music concert in one of the churches
Monday morning, walking tour of the old city, afternoon chose only one museum to focus, the Belvidere, then a little more wandering and a beer on my way back to hotel
Tuesday, day trip to Melk Abbey and the Danube river cruise (package tour thru OBB, the Austrian railway). But closer in to the city and accessible by public transport is Kahlenberg or the Donauturm (Danube Tower) for city views.
This was my second visit to Vienna so i had already seen some of the other sights.
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 04:46 AM

Barber, the Spanish Riding School, Hapsburg Palace, St Stephens and the Vienna Opera House are all close to each other. You could walk this area easily. St Stehens has a gorgeous tile roof, and the church was seriously damaged in WW II.
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! we re not super artsy but are wanting to check out some castles and maybe local markets with hopefully some octoberfest festivities somewhere in there!
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 06:51 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Basically, any Internet listicle will offer you plenty of ideas for what to check out.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but there are no castles in Vienna. I'll presume you mean the big palaces like Schloss Schönbrunn, Hofburg Palace, and perhaps Schloss Belvedere?

Vienna's version of "Oktoberfest" is called Wiener Wiesen, and runs from 27 September to 14 October.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 07:57 PM

I wrote a trip report for Vienna - hope it helps you get some ideas: http://fanofblank.blogspot.com/2017/...nd-vienna.html
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 08:50 AM

After visiting St. Stephen's, stop at Demel's for a wonderful pastry and excellent coffee (and hot chocolate, too).