Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Urgent - Paris Hotel question - area to stay

Urgent - Paris Hotel question - area to stay

Aug 12th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Urgent - Paris Hotel question - area to stay

Paris Hotel Question - Urgent PleaseHello,
I found a couple of very nice hotels that meet our needs (clean, modern, accessible - son on wheelchair , AC and elevator) but they are in the 16th astartment (section ) - I know I butchered that.

Is that too far from the city center? we would be going via Uber or taxi to sites given the fact that my son is on a wheelchair anyways. Too difficult to use subway and push him through.

I plan on just getting dropped off at the sites.

sites I thought my 11 yo would be interested in were --- ET, Notre Dame, Louvre, Giverney, Champ e lyse

Any information or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Aug 12th, 2018, 02:11 PM

Giverny

Is a long way from Paris - Uber or taxis will do it but not sure about worth of it as getting around the gardens, often mobbed, may not be easy - I'm not sure a typical 11 yr old would be that interested for all the hassle and huge expense of getting there. Can you son walk at all?

Not much to see on Champs-Elysees really - a drive thru could suffice - lots of theaters and fast-food places but except Arc de Triomphe not much there - but nice to go up in Arc and then see Champs from above. I'd do a Seine boat cruise too.

16th arrondissement is on far west of central Paris and a nice area - with Uber and taxis fine.
Aug 12th, 2018, 02:35 PM

It is not a long way from Paris, it is IN PARIS. Anything in the 20 arrondissements is part of Paris. It is a large area as many are, no one can say how far it is without you saying what hotels you are talking about. It is a common thing on here for people to ask about an entire arrondissement as one area, which is pretty much only true for a couple in the center that are really small. I quite like the Passy area in the 16th, and the area around Trocadero is obviously quite close to the ET. Not mention the north part borders the Champs-Elysees. any hotel in that area would be just as convenient as many others poeple stay in, but I suspect the hotels you found aren't there. I could be wrong, though. so why don't you say.

The 16th has some nice wide streets, though. But reall, just look on a map and you can see, if you Google the name of tghe hotel,k you can see on a Google map how far it is from notre Dame which is the dead center of Paris. Hotels closer to Notre Dame would thus be closer to the center of Paris, of course.
Aug 12th, 2018, 05:12 PM

>>It is not a long way from Paris, it is IN PARIS. Anything in the 20 arrondissements is part of Paris. It is a large area as many are, no one can say how far it is . . . <<

Christina: Read what PQ wrote: >>Giverny

Is a long way from Paris - Uber or taxis will do it but not sure about worth of it as getting around the gardens, often mobbed, may not be easy - I'm not sure a typical 11 yr old would be that interested for all the hassle and huge expense of getting there. Can you son walk at all?<<

In that part of his post he was talking about Giverny!!
Aug 12th, 2018, 05:26 PM

I should have been clearer - I did not mean that arrondissement was longer from Giverny than others just that Paris in general is a long long way - from any arrondissement.

If taking Uber or taxi don't matter what arrondissement distance-wise you're talking about really - and that area is as close to ET and ChEly as many areas of Paris. Good as any and if going to Versailles closer than any other part of Paris. Great tip from janis about transport chair - looks more easily foldable and transportable.

Last edited by PalenQ; Aug 12th, 2018 at 05:41 PM.
Aug 16th, 2018, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
>>It is not a long way from Paris, it is IN PARIS. Anything in the 20 arrondissements is part of Paris. It is a large area as many are, no one can say how far it is . . . <<

Christina: Read what PQ wrote: >>Giverny

Is a long way from Paris - Uber or taxis will do it but not sure about worth of it as getting around the gardens, often mobbed, may not be easy - I'm not sure a typical 11 yr old would be that interested for all the hassle and huge expense of getting there. Can you son walk at all?<<

In that part of his post he was talking about Giverny!!
I read this exactly as Christina has responded. OP does not even mention Giverny until 4 or 5 sentences after the question It is not a long way from Paris?

Hotel selection should never be urgent unless you have some last minute cancellation and a quick reference to a map can tell you exactly where the 16th arrondissement is in relation to the areas you want to visit.

The métro is not accommodating for those in a wheelchair but buses are and you should consider using them.
Aug 16th, 2018, 06:13 AM

Google Maps can help the original poster answer the original question. Enter the hotel address, click on Directions, enter the destination. GM will show the distances, duration and routes by foot, car, and public transit. Click on Nearby to see other things around the destination such as restaurants. I can't provide a link since the home page depends on what country you are in.

The arrondisement system is awkward for visitors since it is not a simple grid. Instead, its parts are arranged in a clockwise spiral (like a snail shell, Wikipedia notes.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrondissements_of_Paris

The 16th is bordered by the 15th and 17th, but also by the 7th and 8th, so it can be hard to visualize for those of us who think in 90-degree angles. The 16th is also one of the largest,by area so, there are bound to be differences within its terrain. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrondissements_of_Paris

Another helpful tool is the website of the municipal transit system, which contains a route planner and also has comments on accessibility: https://www.ratp.fr/en
Aug 16th, 2018, 11:49 AM

Gee was only saying that Giverny was not in Paris as it was grouped with those other sights in Paris! Yes not pertinent to OP's question but appeared OP thought it were in Paris - not a factor in hotel selection and IMO not a great day trip for OP with 11 yr-old in wheelchair - tons of money for Uber and think that age would prefer something else.

Cheers!
Aug 18th, 2018, 10:48 AM

I do not know your son, but in general, unless he is a combined huge, huge, huge Monet/Flowers aficionado, I would not recommend Giverny.
Besides, in any tourism trip, time tends to be the commodity that should be most critically managed. I assume (and making assumptions is always risky) that since he is in a wheelchair, getting from one place to another takes a bit longer than average. Therefore IMHO, do not spend a large chunk of time at Giverny...or, for that matter, walking along Champs.

Pick out clusters of interesting sights that are near each other. Get to the area by bus or taxi or Uber (if possible), and walk/stroll from one to the other.

Self-guided neighborhood walks are always great, and there are lots of them to be found in tourist books.

ssander
Sep 10th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your amazing advice, we used it there and it was very helpful. The reason for the urgency was I was a day before the trip and according to advice from a family member I had cancelled the 16th arrondisement area hotel to try to find something closer to city center, but whatever I found was sold out or only available for part of our stay. I was searching so much and couldn't find much availability. We finally found something in the first district but it was really really pricy, but due to time constraints we had to stick with it and even had to change rooms there as the suite we had was booked for part of our trip.
As mentioned due to our overloaded schedules (both health care professionals), the wedding and my son breaking his foot I fell very behind with travel plans. Not having a decent travel agent in our town doesnt' help either.
Thanks again for all your guidance.
Sep 11th, 2018, 08:43 AM

The 6th or 4th arrondissement is probably the best area to stay for you.
Sep 11th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by thierry_paris View Post
The 6th or 4th arrondissement is probably the best area to stay for you.
thierry_paris: The trip is over and the OP and is reporting about what they did..
Sep 11th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes we are back home now ... Thank you so much
Sep 11th, 2018, 11:01 AM

Did you get to Giverney?

Search this Thread