Vienna, 2 days, June 06, the must sees?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I will be in Vienna for 2 full days in June 2006. I have booked a seat at the Spanish Riding School for a performance on the Sunday morning, but I have Sunday afternoon and all day Monday to explore some of Vienna. What attractions would be on top of your list? I am interested in the history of the cities I visit, the 'main attractions' and great food!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:00 AM

Enter Vienna in the search box on this forum and you will get a lot of information.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM

The Schönbrunn Palace is a must. If you like museums, Vienna has a number that shouldn't be missed, particularly the Fine Arts Museum; it has a wonderful collection of paintings AND a wood rather than marble floor, which allows you to appreciate what you're seeing. St. Stephen's cathedral would also be high on the list, and you might like to see the opera house.

Here's a useful web site:

http://www.aboutvienna.org/sights/sights.htm
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM

VIsit the heurigen (wine taverns/gardens) in teh outer neighborhoods of Vienna. We visited Grinzing- it was easy to get to via subway, then a bus transfer. One of the best experiences I've had in Europe. We spent an evening going from place to place. GOod luck.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the ideas everyone, it is really appreciated
Happy travelling!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
MaureenB

You are lucky to get seats for the Lippizzaners! We saw their 'morning exercise with music' last June and loved it. The winter riding school itself is a beautiful arena, and I think it's the largest unsupported coffered ceiling in Europe. It's beautiful with the plasterwork, chandeliers and fireplace.
We toured the stables, too, which you might be interested in doing. They are not especially fancy, but interesting if you're a horse person.
Also right there at the Hofburg complex is the imperial apartments, which are beautiful to tour, and would make sense for Sunday afternoon, since you will already be there.
Enjoy Vienna!

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM

The tour of the opera house is lovely.

In June, just walking to see the architecture and stopping at outdoor cafes is a wonderful time.