Search

Vienna in december

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna in december

Hi,

I was intially planning to do all italy during my honeymoon, now on late thoughts(actually its just a month or so now before we leave) I am rethinking on adding vienna and swap it with sorrento/ac.

Only thing I am worried about is weather/temp. Second what all can we do in that weather.
Given we are finally flying out of vienna, it would save us travel time.

Please advice.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 04:28 AM

Amalfi Coast will be nasty in December. If it is rainy, foggy or just overcast the coast loses its charm.

Vienna is wonderful in December. There is a Christmas Market, the gothic City Hall will de decorated for Christmas, and there are lots of warm places like Cafés and Beisls and Museums.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

I am mainly worried about the weather because being from India I am used to temperature in the range of 10 to 45 degress C.
Even in winter only in extreme northern region it snows , otherwise it is cold but not chilly.
would vienna be crowded during the week before christmas or just local natives would be there.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Vienna is visited by hundreds of thousands in December -
Not just the Christmas markets - they have no problem with cold weather .
Cultural sights - museums- opera, operetta, concerts -
palaces to visit -

Many are clustered in a small city center area - short walks between them so if you dislike cold temperatures - you can choose to spend little time outdoors.
Inside it does not matter about weather .

But dressing in layers, hat and gloves - you can easily stay warm-
cold a good excuse to visit a cafe sample a hot drink and some pastry - a good way to sample the living culture of the city.
Vienna is always crowded with tourists , but with so much to see and do they are spread over many things to limit things.
Seems to be as many visitors than locals.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Viena is on the central european plain and in Dec you will have winter weather (think similar to NYC). You can expect cold and probaly some rain/sleet and possibly snow. vienna in a great city in winter since there ar os many wonderful palaces, museums an dchurches to explore as well as the Xmas market, lots of music options = and the Lippanzer programs.

The AC IMHO is a very poor choice in winter - many hotels and restaurants are closed, the ferries dont run, you may not get to see Capri and a beach resort in winter is not a lot of fun. (It won;t be as cold as Vienna, but high could well be about 50 - or even less.)
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Sorry - in DEc the averge high in Vienna is 3 and the average low is -1, C, not F)
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM

If you want warm weather and that is your main concern, Vienna is not the place. It is however, a great place for winter activities if you enjoy culture, museums, Christmas markets and more, all in a city that is easy to navigate.

I have been in mid December and it is a popular time to visit, so yes, there will be more people than just the Viennese there, as there would be in any other world class city.

I agree that the AC is s poor choice for December.

If you choose Vienna, pack the proper clothing and expect it to be cold, possibly rain and possibly snowy. These do not detract from the experience for us when visiting Europe and we live in a tropical climate year round. We enjoy the Advent season in Austria and Germany quite a lot as is very different from home and that is one of the reasons we travel.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

how safe are night trains from venice to vienna.
How about air berlin , any reviews
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Night trains are perfectly safe but do not expect to sleep soundly on night trains.

Air Berlin is Germany's second largest airline, very reliable - a really good airline. I fly them often. Book ASAP, they sell the cheap tickets first and then the expensive ones.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

just another querry regarding my return, I was trying to check with the austrian airlines.
Actually I have a return ticket from Venice to Mumbai with a stopover at vienna.
So suppose I don't board the flight in venice and inform them I would be boarding from Vienna directly , would it be ok.
Has someone done this before
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:54 PM

You place this same question elsewhere - look there
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM

Flew Air Berlin two weeks ago from Salzburg to Berlin - direct flight - excellent service - and good price.
We were able to arrange seat allocation in advance as well.
We found their website to be very user friendly.

Night trains are not particularly restful in our limited experience.

Check carefully about your plan to miss the Venice - Vienna section of your flight - get a response from the airline in writing.