Vienna/Dec 23 to Dec 24 2019 church/music

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2019, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am trying to decide whether to get tickets for Stephendom concert or Peterskirche concert during this period. I think Stephendom might be the best choice, any suggestions on this. Also, is it very cold in this lovely but also very large stone church in Vienna in late December? Thanks for a response.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 08:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Entirely my opinion, but Peterskirche's gilded interior is prettier, and more intimate than Stephansdom. If you are unsuccessful with either, consider Annakirche; we have enjoyed several performances there over the holiday season, though none on either 23 or 24 December.

Yes, Stephansdom will be cold in December. You will be surrounded by hundreds of people, though, so that might take the chill off, a little.
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi Fourfortravel, After reading more about Peterskirch, I think that might be the best bet. i like the smaller interior for music. thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

I am going to get tickets for a Christmas concert at Peterskirche in Vienna. Can someone suggest a very close restaurant to catch dinner before an 8 PM concert? Thanks. Also is there a reliable and perhaps lower cost internet site to purchase tickets for Vienna for museums/concerts.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 05:28 AM

There is a wide range of restaurant options for all budgets, but I will only offer those at which I have dined, or have had to dine. At all but Türkis I would suggest securing a reservation.

In the chicy-mhicy but worth it category if the pocketbook needs lightening:
Do&Co (both the food and the views)
Zum Schwarzen Kamel (sophisticated Austrian)

In the always-happy-to-drop-in-category:
Beaulieu in Palais Ferstel. French Bistro in a beautiful setting. One can never go wrong with a Gris Blanc, the Baguette Parisienne (shared if you're not hungry), plus any torte. Or the shared Moules à la Mariniéres (plus any torte.)
Restaurant Beim Hofmeister. Family owned, like dining in your Austrian Tante's house. DH and I drop in so frequently that we are not even offered a menu any longer (the Mr. just informs us of any specials), and the Mrs. brings our beverages without asking.

Others:
Cafe Central in the same Palais as Beaulieu. But really, who wants torte with the cafe's logo on it?
Esterhazykeller. Classic Austrian in a wine cellar.
Figlmuller. If you simply must have a dinner plate-sized Schnitzel.
Türkis. A well-done chain. The quality and service at the restaurant is the same whether I attend with or without Turkish friends, although the Kunife seems to taste better when my Turkish friends order it.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

four forTravel I do have some knee issue and will be using a cane, can you give me some idea which of these restaurants would be in close proximity to Peterskirche, Thank you, perhaps all of them?
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:08 PM

According to Google Maps, all are under a 10 minute walk in various directions from Peterskirche.

Do&Co, Zum Schwarzen Kameel and Türkis, 3 minutes

Beim Hofmeister and Esterhazykeller, 4 minutes

Beaulieu and Cafe Central (both in Palais Ferstel), and Figlmüller, 7 minutes
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, appreciate it. Sue