Vienna: concerts at Schonbrunn?

Jan 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Vienna: concerts at Schonbrunn?

Going to Vienna in April or May.

We were hoping to visit the schonbrunn one afternoon and then stay in the area for dinner and catch a concert at night.
I've read about Schonbrunn concerts on this forum but I don't see details on the Schonbrunn website.

We're not concert goers generally but since we're in Vienna we'd like to get a taste of it.

Are tickets always required for concerts?
Are there outdoor, public concerts that you can hang out for a while and keep moving?
What's the price range?
How about these questions as they refer specifically to Schonbrunn?

Thanks
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:31 PM

www.imagevienna.com has the concert schedule.

The concerts are not very long and they are easy to enjoy. There will be some greatest hits short pieces by Strauss and Mozart, and a little (mediocre) dancing here and there, but it's a harmless way to spend an hour or so, and the concert room is very pretty.
Jan 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM

You will need tickets. For a classical buff, the concerts are touristy and feature the popular pieces by various composers, mostly Mozart, Strauss and some other musical giants of Vienna.

I don't know the schedule.

The last one I went to was held in the Orangerie building which is outside of the main palace near the street.
Feb 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Planning a trip and wondering, what would be most authentic? I'd love to see a complete opera. Do you look by company or concert hall? I'm very overwhelmed by the choices, and many websites don't have schedules for November, when I'll be there.
Feb 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM

sfamylou:

If you are talking about Vienna, operas are performed at the Staatsoper, whose web site is
http://www.staatsoper.at

The schedule for 2006-07 is not available yet. Check back in two or three months.