Vienna Boys Choir concert days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning, everyone. I was under the impression that the Vienna Boys Choir only gave performances on Sundays and another day of the week (Friday maybe?). I'm planning to be in Vienna in late November for 3 days so I'm trying to ensure one of those will be a day I can attend a choir concert.

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:14 AM
lawchick

You need to keep an eye on their website nearer the time, but they often sing a Mass at the Hofburgkapelle on Sundays

http://tinyurl.com/29vdcd

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 02:20 PM

and realize that not all tickets give you a direct view of the choir, but you are in another ROOM with a televison monitor.

very disappointing.

JFYI
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I would make all efforts to see them in Vienna. I saw them in the Brahms Hall in the Musikverein in Vienna and it was phenomenal. I was there mid-October 2004, so maybe their appearances there are seasonal and something will be posted closer to the time. It is truly an experience you'll remember for a long time.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM

If you want to be assured of hearing this choir, plan to be in Vienna on a Sunday. They sing as part of a Mass at the Hofburg Chapel each Sunday morning. This is not a concert but a church service, and as another poster has said, you may not be in a position to see the choir.

They occasionally give concerts at one of the concert halls. You will have to wait until closer to the time of your trip to find out if one of these concerts will take place while you are there.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:11 AM
lawchick

Where ever you sit at the mass (unless you are the priest) you wo'nt see them anyway - but they come down onto the altar for the recessional hymn.

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I was aware of the Sunday performances at Mass, and of the fact that the choir is not seen, only heard. The problem is, I might need to change my dates of being in Vienna and Sunday would not come into play anymore. So I guess the Friday concert is a totally random thing and not something I can count on.

Thanks again,
Sandi

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM

The event database at info.wien.at indicates Friday afternoon concerts at 4 p.m. in September and October. The last date in the database at this time is October 19.