Vienna: Dogs in cafes/restaurants?

Jan 27th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Vienna: Dogs in cafes/restaurants?

We've got an 8-day trip to Vienna coming up in March and will be driving in and bringing the spaniel with us. Does anyone know what the default policy is re dogs in cafes/restaurants? We know that in Brussels the normal policy is that they are allowed in most restaurants. When I was in Vienna last year, I made note of specific places where I saw dogs (the cafe at the Liechtenstein museum, for example), but I don't know the general rule. Mostly for lunch and afternoon cafe spots, we'll leave her in her crate in the room for dinner.
Specifically interested in the dogs policy at the Gerstner cafe by the Kunsthistorische (we'll be staying nearby), Cafe Oberlaa in Neumarkt, Cafe Sirk along the Kartnerstrasse, and the Hotel Riviera (a restaurant, not a hotel).
Thanks!
We are getting her fitted with a muzzle so that she'll be able to ride the u-bahn, etc. For a well-mannered English cocker, this is highly insulting!
Jan 27th, 2007, 01:49 AM

As you probably know, Vienna is an "Animal Friendly" city.
I do not know about any fixed policy regarding where dogs may visit with their dining family to my knowledge.Policy fixed by individual places.

The poliicy of a muzzle and line is fixed for public transport and is being enforcd now too regardless of dogs manners although you still see numerous smaller dogs riding without them.
I have a Schäferhund- German Shepherd. Thus my problem is often one of enough space for him rather than a policy of no dogs.
Thus, I rarely take him to city center restaurants.
I regularly take him to heurigers,( easy for him to remain under the table and we often walk in the vineyards before or after a visit ( examaple in Neustift or Nussdorf)normal shopping, except to food markets -you will note places to tie the dog just outside the door and even places like the Dorotheum.

Most cafes accept dogs without trouble - exception was Cafe Central, but I think they even change that now.

A small dog is no trouble at Oberlaa. I never take mine as he is just too big for the usual crowded conditions.

I use the molker rule - the lesser expensive restaurants - Lokals etc. usually accept dogs- even medium priced places also- the more expensive places much less so.

I have been to the Riviera - never inquired about dogs - but did not see any.

On another subject, a newer restaurant not far from the Riviera- The Hollmann Salon is a very nice place.

www.hollmann-beletage.at

Located in the Heiligenkreuerhof - to me one of the nicest Hofs in vienna and not really known to many tourists.

Enjoy your visit.

Jan 27th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Molker! We will check out the new place.
We are going to make poor Raisin, no matter how offended, wear her muzzle on the ubahn. I have noticed in the past many dogs with muzzles just attached to their collars and not put properly over the faces, but we will stick to the rules.

I'm not a huge fan of Cafe Central (or Demel) so we probably won't go there anyway. Might try Cafe Landtmann, though, as I've yet to go there. We won't take her to Meinl, Steirereck, Do & Co, etc.

After we leave Vienna, we plan to head to Salzburg for four or five nights and are hoping to stay at the Friesacher...as you may remember, we wanted to stay there over Christmas but had to cancel due to work commitments. Our hotel in Vienna (the NH Wien) is much less charming, but meets the needs for this trip (dog friendly, central location, parking, not too expensive).
Jan 27th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Hello BTilke:

I forgot to mention that a dog needs a ticket on U-bahn, bus etc. - achils ticke - 0,80 per trip.

Quite often , especially with smaller dogs the muzzle is not on as yaou mentioned or the owner just carries it.

I have both the metal cage type muzzle and a cloth one that keeps mouth closed but is more comfortable for my dog.

Due to his size, I always use a muzzle as some would find him to look menacing due to his breed.

Cafe Landtmann has a temporary entrace on the side towards the Ring as they now build a large wintergarden type room on the front side toward the Burgtheater.Hopefully , it is complete by your visit.
I was by there a few days ago and it looks almost complete.

The Friesacher is always a nice place for us. The garage is especially good for the bad weather days and the dog likes the elevator ride.

If you ever want something different near to Salzburg, the Hotel Schloss Fuschl
Jan 27th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I didn't know she needed a ticket, she rides free in Brussels.
I emailed the Hotel Riviera and they said dogs are welcome, so we'll definitely be dining there at least once.
Jan 27th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Sorry , wrong button
- The Hotel Schloss Fuschl has been completed renovated ( it needed it badly) A fantastic view , but should be at the new prices.
A nice new Spa too.
Service however was erractic.

They are dog friendly except for the restaurant- nice places to walk around the Lake.

Still to me , the Friesacher is a better place for the price. Overall, I think that the food is better also.

Prior post should say childs ticket at 0.80 euro for the dog.
They seem to have more ticket controls lately too.

Strangely, Puls TV lists which lines will have ticket controls on their TV Text Site now.

Jan 27th, 2007, 05:14 AM

I was in Vienna 4 years ago. We had dinner Ristorante Antinori -it is not far from the Graben. A couple at the next table had their dog with them and the restaurant provided a bowl of water and food.
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Don't forget to try Smutny:
http://www.smutny.com/release/index.htm
They even have a listing on the menu Für Ihren vierbeinigen Liebling!
Hello molker! Have you just returnrd from warmer climates? Good to hear that your four-legged companion is still enjoying the heuriger and survived Punsch season.