Recommended restaurants at Vienna

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended restaurants at Vienna

I am going to Vienna in the summer and I wonder if anyone has eaten at a restaurant called "Immervoll" at Weihburggasse 17 before?

I also wonder if anyone can recommend a good Sausage stand (Wurstelstand) or other places to get fast-food? I heard that bagel is invented in Vienna as well. Where can I get some good bagels?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:24 AM

Hello;
When I was last there (Aug-Sept 04) I ate several lunches at the Immervoll. It is owned by the same person who owns the Kleines Cafe around the corner on Franziskanerplatz 3...he is quite a character. Immervoll had very good food, while we ate there the first time I struck up a conversation with a local businessman who told me that this is one of the few places where the local inhabitants come for food and the excellent wine. For bagels, I would recommend sampling from the many bakeries that are in the city and judge yourself, Anker has spots all over...try semmel rolls as well, that was one of our staples for breakfast in our apartment before we went out and began our days of exploration. Same advice for Wuerst, try the many around you will see and enjoy the taste testing!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM

Forgot to add that on our site we list many other places to eat in Wien:
http://austria.starkeconcepts.com/
How long do you stay in Wien?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
ira

Hi Z,

> I heard that bagel is invented in Vienna as well.

Maybe.

>Where can I get some good bagels?<

As noted, just about anywhere in Vienna.

The best bagels in the world are in Prague. 2nd best in Montreal.

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.
I will be spending 7 days between Vienna and Salzburg. I have not really decided how long to spend in Vienna. I guess the food that I can find could be factor. I am thinking of spending 3 days in Vienna and 4 days in Salzburg. Is that well-balanced or should I spend more time in Vienna?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We enjoyed a casual restaurant called "Centimeter" on the west side of Vienna, east of the Westbahnhof perhaps 4 blocks. Their feature was a one meter long wurst of excellent quality.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 11:26 AM

Vienna should get the bulk of your days; we have been numerous times and still find new things to discover. From Vienna you can take a train to Salzburg and spend a day and night, that should be good enough. Vienna has so much to offer and so much more to do and see. Do you have an idea of the type of place (price/location) you wish to stay in while their. What--other than food--are your interests?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:17 PM

Zhhoo - having lived in Vienna and having been to Salzburg about 4 times, you would be better splitting your days in Vienna & Salzburg at least 4-3, better still 5-2 in favour of Vienna as there is so much more to do and see there. Salzburg isn't a big place and only merits a couple of days really, though that might depend if you're a Sound of Music lover who wants to take the organised tour into the mountains!

On the Vienna restaurant front, more generally, there are a host of good Wurst stands in Vienna. Too many to pick from. A place I love is Ruffino's, an Italian on Josefstaedterstrasse (48) near a small theatre. Get the J tram from the opera house to get there. Magnificant pizza.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM

We went to Ristorante Antinori in Vienna- Italian, of course, and owned by the Antinori family who have vineyards in Tuscany. We thought the food was superb- and the wine. Can't remember the street but it is off of the Graben and they have a website.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

I have not really done much research about Salzburg, hence I have yet to book my accommodation there.

For Vienna, I have booked my accommodation at Quisisana which claims to be very close to the city centre.
http://www.quisisana-wien.co.at

Maybe they would not mind me extending my stay for an extra night or so if they have any vacancy left.

I am thinking of visiting the following places at Vienna:
1. Schönbrunn Palace
2. Schatzkammer
3. St. Stephan's Cathedral
4. Kunsthistorisches Museum
5. Wiener Staatsoper

I would probably be going around to take photographs of the other nice buildings as well.

I heard the Beisl is the traditional eating place at Vienna. Any recommendations for any particular Beisl?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:29 PM

Reinthaler's Beisl is good:
http://www.wien.info/article.asp?IDArticle=12753
Also good for food are the many Heuriger found on the outskirts of Vienna in Sievering, Nussdorf, and Grinzing (although Grinzing is a bit touristy).
Another good spot is Fischerbrau:
http://www.fischerbraeu.at/
Great beer and food with a nice outdoor garden area to enjoy. When you plan to go to places like Schoenbrunn etc. get there either before 9:30 am or after 4 pm, otherwise you will be mobbed by tourists that come on the buses. Schoenbrunn has magnificent gardens and the Kunst. will overload you will fine art. Your lodging looks to be in a reasonably close area...walk over to Burgasse and find the Spatzennest...best traditional fare I've found there at a very reasonable price.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM

I agree with advice to spend 5 days in Vienna and 2 days in Salzburg.
I really think 1 day is enough in Salzburg, and I would hop on a train the second day to visit a couple of small mountain towns within a couple of hours travel time.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM

I will also add that I have yet to find a bad Wurst from a street-vendor in Wien.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:38 PM

Forgot to mention that there are many great old village like buildings to photograph out in the Nussdorf area...take the D tram from the ring all the way to the end and walk up into the area from there...I spent about 6 hrs a day for 2 days photographing around there...Spittleburg district (near where you are staying) has some of the oldest original buildings standing in Vienna as well. Make sure to buy a 72 hr transit pass which will give you unlimited access to all of Vienna's excellent public transit (Bus, Tram, U-bahn, and S-bahn). it is the only way to get around.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM

hi zhhoo,

for food sightseeing in Vienna:

Naschmarkt. A quite impressive market, snacks available.

Meinl am Graben. A quite impressive delicatessen, see their homepage.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for replying to my posting.

I wonder if Vienna is a walkable town? I have been to Rome and found no need to use the public transport there. I found Paris to be quite big though, and have to rely on its Metro.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:48 AM

For wurst in Vienna- most all places are good as mentioned above.
However, in my opinion the following are above the others:

The stand at the corner of Albertinaplatz - just behind the State Opera.

The stand on Irisgasse( the shortest street in Vienna) between Am Hof and Naglergasse.

Freddy´s Wurst Stand next to the Bank at Schottentor.

Vienna is a city for walkers- many sights,museums, parks, shopping, and restaurants are in the First District( City Center) You can walk from one end to the other in 15 -20 minutes.

Still buy a transport ticket. Not expensive and reaches everything in the city.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:37 AM

molker: Good to see the expert is back and posting. I hope the Count is enjoying the winter on his new estate. How is the goat cheese suppe this year?
zhhoo: As molker has said, it is a wonderful city for walking, you can also rent a bike as the Ring and many other streets have a seperate bike lane (complete with stop lights). A transit pass is a good idea so you can get to some areas like Nussdorf or Grinzing which are farther out, plus taking the trams are also a great way to relax and see the sights, when you see something you like you can hop right off at the nearest stop.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:53 AM

Operaman:
Just returned- temperature -11 C now

The count likes it as still snow in the country.
Much news but will e-mail
Very good advice on your posts!