Search

Versailles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Karen

Versailles

I am planning a brief trip to Paris (only 4 nights!). My husband and I want to go visit Versailles, but it will be mid-November. Are the gardens still worth it? Is it worth getting a guided tour to the castle itself? I was thinking of just following Rick Steves' self-guided tour through the State Apartments. Also, Could anyone recommend weather its better to go in the morning or afternoon? Thanks so much!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Beth

I can't comment on the gardens in November, as I saw them in June when they were beautiful. However, if you walk through the gardens, you will see the famous fountains and also have the opportunity to see some other residences on the property. I think the guided tours (there are several with different topics) are definitely worth it -- ours was about 1 1/2 hours and we really learned a lot which I would not have gained from a self-guided tour. One piece of advice (even for the off-season): get there early (when the palace opens to tourists). Buy your guided tour tickets, walk through the State Apartments, then take your guided tour -- then if you wish, you can go through the gardens.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Ratbasstad

I never had the slightest desire to visit Versailles but found myself there last April (or late March) on the day they turned the fountains on and had the gardens ship shape. It was poleaxed by the place. It is definitely one of a kind and I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed with it even if they did little more than stroll around the grounds. If you’ve always wanted to see it, enough to spend a whole day of your short schedule there, do it right. Take the grand tour. It was pricey but you’re not going to remember that even a few months down the road.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Patrick

I've been inside Versailles three times. The first time we did a guided tour, but the noise level was so horrible that we really couldn't understand much of anything the guide said. The next time we had a guide book and did our own thing, which worked out better. But the third time we were with friends for their first trip there and we got the audio guides you put to you ear and go at your own pace. This was definitely the best way to go. Putting it to your ear drowns out the other noise and you can really follow what is going on, plus you can pause or replay, or even fast forward if you reach information overload in a particular room. I highly recommend it.<BR><BR>I can't imagine the gardens ever not being worth a visit (unless maybe it is pouring down rain). They really are magnificent and not dependent upon what is blooming.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Karen

Thanks! Actually, I don't want to spend the whole day there, just a morning or afternoon, since my time in Paris is so limited! Does anyone have suggestions as to which is better (am or pm)? Also, If I do take a guided tour, which one do you recommend? Thank-you!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:51 AM
David

I would suggest going in the morning so that when you see how awesome it is, you can change your plans and stay longer!!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Gordon R

We went last November on one of those bitterly cold but brilliantly sunlit days. It was an unforgettable experience that vastly exceeded all expectations. At that time of the year, especially mid-week, there are few crowds - even in the Hall of Mirrors. Further away from the main Chateau, down near the Hameau and the Trianons, it was virtually deserted and the gardens had a really special, almost dream-like quality, in the winter sunshine. My wife, who'd gone before in high summer, said it was far more enjoyable.<BR><BR>Audio guide handsets are available in the Chateau and I thought the commentary was high quality and about the right level of detail.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 01:26 PM
John

Just returned from Versailles. Auto guides are the ONLY way to go. 3,50 euros and set your own pace. Gardens are beautifull even now (Sept)

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Karen

John,<BR>I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! About how much time did it take for you to tour the castle itself?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Lesli

I guess I am in the distinct minority. Although I thought Versailles was interesting enough, and the gardens pretty, I was rather disappointed. During an October visit, it was by far the most crowded place I went to on my entire trip. I may have rushed through it a bit because of my frustration with the bus tour groups (even though I arrived within about 30 minutes of opening time.)<BR><BR>With only four nights, I myself would spend my entire stay exploring Paris. For day trips, I much prefer Chartres to Versailles. <BR><BR>Depends on whether cathedrals or palaces hold more appeal to you. If you decide to do Versailles, I strongly recommend that you aim to be there right when it opens. That will slso best allow you to make the most of your day.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Bob

My wife and I first did Versailles in 1971 and left there not overally awed. Nice, but we had seen some other great spots that were as nice. We then tried it again in 2000 and again left there with same feeling. <BR><BR>I guess it all boils down to how many castles you have seen. We fortunately have visited many as we lived in Germany for a few years while in the Army. <BR><BR>With 4 days in Paris I would skip Versailles and save it for another trip....especially as you will be there in November, not the best time.<BR>Plus, the storms of a few years ago freally ripped out a lot of the old trees. <BR><BR>Just my opinion. Paris is great. Have fun.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 02:16 PM
mary kay

We visited Versailles in late October and the gardens were just fine then. <BR><BR>One word of advice to save you hours of time: purchase the Carte Musee at any subway station window. It is a multi-day discount card and pass that allows you to go to the head of the line (or at least a special entrance) to avoid the hoi polloi in the lines. If you visit more than two museums, you have paid for the card.<BR><BR>Don't purchase it at a museum, because you'll have to stand in t e general admittance line to do so, which defeats the purpose!<BR><BR>I don't recall the cost of the card, but there is a website if you search for "Carte Musees". Don't count on purchasing it online; they never responded to our request.<BR><BR>I agree with previous posters about the audio guide. With that and the Rick Steves recap, you'll be set.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 03:07 PM
amy

Brief visit? November? Heck, on the morning you arrive (I'm assuming major jet lag), your hotel won't be ready. Just drop the luggage at the desk and head for the RER. Buy your musee pass and your RT ticket to Versailles. Get the audiotapes (hint, Wendy Perrin carries an outdated driver's license at all times to hand over as her "security" for rentals), and tour the inside. Still have energy? Nice day? Ok, go for the gardens.<BR><BR>Otherwise,if exhausted, just go back to the hotel, hit the hay until dinner.<BR><BR>Something for your Paris "merit badge" on day one.<BR><BR>