Search

Versailles and Giverny

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versailles and Giverny

Hello,
I am willing to visit Versailles and/or Giverny in september.
Could you tell me when it's the best to visit, weekdays or weekends.
I heard about organized tours and saw fcomfrance which is really cheaper than others.
Can someone tell me about this company? Did you try it? and how was it?
Thanks a lot
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM

I too am planning a trip to Paris and want to see Versailles. One thing I have noticed about Versailles is that it DOES NOT allow guided tours inside (evidently there is a requirement of silence inside) so you are basically paying a lot of money for transport (when you can take the train there yourself) and for a tour guide to tell you about it before you get there, and/or about the grounds. Also it looks like if you go on a Tuesday, they have the music or fountains turned on.

Not sure if that information is helpful or not, but I thought I would throw it out there before you purchased a tour and then found out what it entailed.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Personally, I don't think you need a tour guide. The audio tours are very good.

Tuesdays and weekends are very busy at Versailles.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a private guided tour for us and another couple inside Versailles.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 05:18 PM

You do not need a guided tour of Versailles and it certainly is not silent inside! The audio tours are quite good. Weekdays (except Tuesday) are definitely better than the weekend, if you don't mind that the fountains aren't running (the grounds are still lovely).
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 05:50 PM

Odd, just about every tour company I've researched says that they are not allowed to guide you on tours inside because of noise restrictions or something along those lines..."However, our walk ends at the door of the chateau, as all commentary inside the palace is prohibited." - Context Tours, etc.

but I will take the words of people who have already been there! I'm just planning to train there and the audio guide anyway.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM

It is common in Europe to have a rule that says only the guides specifically credentialed for that specific site can lead tours . Many tour companies get you there but their on board guide is not certified for the site itself. There are private guides who do have the correct credentials and this is why they advertise and can deliver private tours. Having said all of that if you don't want the expense the audio guide is very good and much less expensive. Or...you can sign up for a group tour once you arrive at Versaille.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the clarification, chevre.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:16 PM

Hi
i used fcomfrance for a tour to loire valley chateau. it was a wonderfull tour and we visited chambord, cheverny and chenonceau. the tour leader was very nice and help us skip all long lines.
the price is really competitive compared to the other operators in paris.
they offer also tours to versailles and giverny, but not every days.
the website is clear and very easy
www.fcomfrance.com
enjoy your time in paris
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:17 PM

Even to go to Giverny you can take a train from Saint-Lazare to Vernon about 20-26 Euro / person and then from Vernon to Giverny is about 10-15 mins by the bus which will be about 4 Euro / person. Not at all difficult to reach there.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:40 PM

I went to Giverny on a sunny September day when the summer crush of tourists had abated. Enough roses and water lilies were still flowering so I could, ah, get the picture. Lovely spot if you have seen Monet's paintings of those scenes. Easy to do it on your own from St-Lazare.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 01:53 PM

The first part of May we were at Versailles and had an excellent private tour of the chateau itself. This was scheduled the day of our arrival there. When you enter the grounds, there will be a long line for tickets to your left ( I mention this as a point of reference, only-do not want to lose you) Go to the front of the line where you will see an Information flag. Turn to your left and go up a few steps and turn left at the 2nd doorway to the Info center. There you can schedule your tour and they will send you to another office to pay for your tour and entry fee. This worked very well for us (You might want to check the site-maybe pre-reserve) The tour was 7E and well worth it!!The group was divided-we had an English speaking guide and saw a site or 2 that were not open to the public. Then you can get your audio equipment (which is included in the cost of your entry ticket and go thru that tour with it. Versailles is truly a magnificent palace. I am looking forward to returning on a warmer day-to see the grounds and MA's "digs". It is very easy to get there from Paris via RER C. Even us "old FLOlks" made it on our own!!
Have a great time!!!