Reload this Page >

Versailles Tour?

Search

Versailles Tour?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Mark Vaughan

Versailles Tour?

Will be in Paris next month and was wondering if Versailles would be better to see on a tour or on our own? I'm not real big on being scuttled around like a herd of cattle, but if the tours take you places that you would not see on your own, I might consider it. Any suggestions for this day trip?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:51 AM
ryan

Don't waste the money to take a guided bus tour to Versailles. (My parents are almost 70, they almost always use tour company's when they travel. They were even able to do this one on their own!) <BR><BR>It is very easy to get to by train. Take the RER "C" line which runs along the Left Bank waterfront. Just make sure you get on the one going to Versailles as the C line has two end terminals. At most, it is 30 to 45 minutes from Central Paris.<BR><BR>From the train station, it is maybe a 7 to 10 minute walk. <BR><BR>Once in the Palace, there are 2 different tours. Both should be taken as they go to different parts of Palace. <BR><BR>One tour is essentially self guided as you are given a CD player that provides commentary as you walk along. I believe this is called "The Apartments Tour."<BR><BR>The other part of the tour does have guides. However, I think you can join one, by language, once you get to the starting point.<BR><BR>There is also a separate tram tour that takes you to various points of interest on the grounds.<BR><BR>This is definately one location where you are wasting your money by going with a tour company.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Tammy

Versailles is definitely an easy day trip to do on your own. Make sure you take the "V" RER C train. This is the one that lets you off near the palace. The general price of admission covers the main apartments. For an additional fee, you can have a guided tour of apartments that are not open to the general public, Marie Antoinetts apartments, the opera, etc. If you can, make sure and go on a day that the fountains are running, usually Sunday afternoon. The fountains are spectacular. Have a great trip.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Sharon

We were at Versailles a few years ago while on a tour on Sunday at the end of April. I'm glad this was prearranged because the lines to get in were unbelievable and we walked right in. Also, I believe on Sundays they play classical music outside and it is really beautiful to hear while walking through the spectacular gardens and fountains--this is the best time to tour Versailles. Inside Versailles I found it to be a little warm so dress light!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:15 AM
firas

Would you know how much the RER fare and the Palace admission be? I also heard that the gardens are not free anymore. How much time does this day trip take? 10 to 2 roughly? Is there anything else in the town besides the palace?<BR>Thanks

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Book Chick

The RER fare is about $5.60 USD. Admission to the chateau is about $7.20 USD, and if you do the "promenade" with the music, about an additional $4 USD.<BR><BR>BC

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Heather

I actually booked a tour through Evan Evans. I even e mailed them about pick up from my hotel and they were very nice. Just will be nice to have a day to kick back and not have to worry about finding a place, just hop on the bus and go.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Heather

Oops. I was thinking about my tour in London. Nonetheless, this is my first trip to Europe so I feel more comfortable going on some pre arranged tours.<BR>