Day trip.......Paris to Versailles

Jan 25th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Day trip.......Paris to Versailles

Hi all,
You've given me so much help with other questions, I've decided to ask one more.
A guided tour (through something like Paris-Trip) would cost about 80 Euro per person.
I was wondering if that was something my husband and I could do on our own for much less money.
Jan 25th, 2007, 04:46 AM

Are you asking about a guided tour of Versailles?

My husband and I travelled to Versailles by train. It was very easy to get there. Then we did an audio guide tour - through part of the palace. Then we walked around the gardens. We didnt feel like we needed a tour guide at all. "Discovering" the gardens on our own was one of our favorite parts.
Jan 25th, 2007, 04:52 AM

>I was wondering if that was something my husband and I could do on our own for much less money.

It is something that millions of people do every year for much less money. Versailles is served by a frequent suburban train (RER) from Paris - every 15 min or so.
Try to buy your entrance tickets for the palace itself online (I don't know where, but it is supposed to be possible) as the lines can be atrocious.
No lines for the gardens.
Jan 25th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Another piece of advice...
We got there as early as possible. I think we arrived 1/2 hour before Versailles opened to get ahead of the crowds. We only waited in a small line.
We stayed until the early afternoon - and on our way out the lines were horrifically long!
Jan 25th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all.
I think we'll plan to do it on our own...sounds easy enough!
Jan 25th, 2007, 05:17 AM

It's part of the museum pass which makes it easier to walk in. We were told to go into side "A" rather than "C" and you will still see the hall of mirrors. Side "C" is the side that gets long lines. Side "A" is the living quarters. They were right. We walked right in. We also got there fairly early.

Use the restroom at the McDonalds in town before you walk to Versailles. Sometimes they close all the restrooms in Versailles. It happened when we were there.
Jan 25th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip about the restrooms!
So Versailles is part of the same museum pass as the Louvre etc?
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Versailles (the town) is a suburb of Paris.
It is only to expect that the palace is included in the museum pass.
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Hi

Yes, you can do it for a lot less if you go on your own. Check out my trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . My wife and I went to Versailles using the train and we bought a guided tour there for 15 € each. This gave us a standard access to the palace and a tour of the Louis XV/XVI private apartments and the opera house. But one of the best things about this ticket was the fact that we could use another entrance (entrance B) instead of lining up with the rest Feel free to also check out my Google map of Paris on http://gardkarlsen.com/paris_france_map.htm . Click on the markers for more info

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:39 AM

If you don't spring for the Museum Pass, you can buy a "Leisure Package" (Forfait Loisir from any SNCF train station or the RER C stations that serve Versailles. For €19, you get round-trip transportation from any Métro station to Versailles, admission to ALL the venues, audioguides to everything, and dancing girls (I made that up). See:

http://www.transilien.com/FR/TouVers.htm
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:12 AM

I second Robespierre on the Forfait Loisir. I did that last May, and it was the perfect solution. Tip if you do that (or even if you don't): if you go to the Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon, gardens, and the Hameau first and the main chateau last, you're reversing how people normally do it and will encounter fewer crowds.

The forfait loisir, in addition to the things Robespierre mentioned, also allows you priority entrance at all the relevant places. So no waiting in lines!