Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Versaille Worthwhile w/o Hall of Mirrors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On this trip to France we'd planned to finally visit Versaille. We understand that the Hall of Mirrors is closed for renovation so we're wondering if we should just pass on Versaille for this trip and include it next time. For those of you who've been there, how big of a deal is it that this piece is unavailable?
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM

it's still a helluva place. I'd go.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM

I have been there with and without mirrors. You might check the website, but I thought I read somewhere that they are almost finished with the hall. But, having said that, yes, if the history interests you, I certainly think it's still worth a visit. I had enough time this last trip to go out into the gardens and see the Petite Trianon and other buildings. There is scaffolding on the back of the building right now, for refirbishment, but I didn't find that it got in my way.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM

We went last March and 1/2 the hall was open. Completely worth it IMO. We loved our tour with Fat Tire Bike Tours. We got to see so much more on bikes than we would have on foot. Highly recommended!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM

I agree. With or without being able to see the Hall of Mirrors it's still an awesome place.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM

It's been a very, very long time since visiting Versailles. But, when I went, I only toured the gardens. Even though I missed out on the palace, I had the most memorable time walking around the gardens.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Is the whole hall closed? I saw it with half the hall and still thought it was impressive, plus there are so many other worthy rooms ... and of course all of the gardens, museums and other sights (the trinons, etc.) there. We had a very full day, rushing around to so many things, and still missed out on lots. So yes, it is worth it IMO.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:57 PM

The official Versailles website says only part of the hall is closed off.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM

I went to Versailles in 2003 and while the Hall of Mirrors was open, it was so croweded, I think I only spent 5 minutes in that area. I had planned to spend a 1/2 day at Versailles and I spent the whole day so in my opinion, it is still very worthwhile.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:48 PM

We loved the hall of mirrors, but I must say we also loved the gardens. In fact we pretty much enjoyed the whole darn place. There is so much to see. If you have the time take a long walk out around all the gardens and to Marie Antoinette's Village. So in my opinion, I'd go.

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

I really had to dig to find the stuff about the Hall of Mirrors on the official site. It's a link that looks like it's about the company that is doing the restoration, not about the restoration itself. Anyway... I figured out that indeed one half of the hall is done and open and the final half is having the scaffolding removed in March and the whole thing is scheduled to reopen in May 2007. I'm guessing that one can experience enough of the hall with the oppen half! Thanks for all your input.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:10 PM

My first reaction is GO to Versailles, even if you see only some of it.

If you go, I strongly recommend that you spend a little time reading about the history of Versailles as well as reading about some of the momentous events that have taken place there.

My wife knows little of French history, and I found it frustrating to go through the palace with her. Her reaction was that it was "too much;" and she saw it only as an ostentacious display of vulgar wealth - nothing more. I could not fully point out to her that she was looking at representations of the terrible climate of affairs that culminated in the French revolution, which in turn led eventually to the empowerment of Napoleon.

Of course I was a history student in college and two of the many events that took place in the Hall of Mirrors were drilled into me: The Treaty of Versailles that concluded WW I and the official proclamation of the unification of the new German nation was proclaimed there in January, 1871.

I feel very strongly that without some knowledge of the French monarchy, the Revolution, and other world-shaping events, just viewing the chateau as a monstrous extravaganza misses the essential purpose of the visit.

Without seeing Versailles, I don't think one can fully understand the vanity and ego of Louis XIV or appreciate how the isolation of the royal life kept the monarchs and their henchmen unable to cope with the mounting bankruptcy and increased taxes that ultimately induced the Third Estate to revolt.

The warning signs were there; the monarchy was just too disinterested in ruling, and too limited in vision to see what was going to come.

So YES. I think a visit to Versailles is required if one is to understand the history of France, and essentially that of Western Europe.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Didn't I read just last week that the renovations are through - they are doing the clean-up and that the hall will re-open in all its new found glory...I think they said June

Next trip I gotta go see this place.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:09 AM

IMO it is still well worth a visit with the Hall closed, but it sure is a lot more impressive with the gardens in bloom. I have been twice, once in March and once in late April, and I was much more impressed with the later trip. So, if you are sure you will see it eventually, I would think about seeing it when it is leafed out. We are following you guys in the area a few days later, but are going to pass this time and try Fountainbleau.

Rick
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Yes, go - the Hall of Mirrors is but one of many things to see, and when we were last there (June) part was on display with informational displays posters set up.
Also, think about the <<forfait loisir>> that provide round trip transport, admission and the headset for the well done audio guide, at a bit of a discount and the added bonus of not having to stand in line, all in a little souvenir wallet. You purchase in advance at the Transilien booth at an SNCF station (we got ours art Gare du Nord) Info in English is at http://212.99.40.193/web/site/accuei...ailles/lang/en
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM

There's a Hall of Mirrors?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Sorry Klompen, do you have any idea of the magnitude of Versailles? The halls of mirrows is of course fascinating and you can picture Louis XIV and his court in there, etc. but take a little time and read about Versailles,the genius of Le Notre, Le Vau and others ,its many pavillions, and so, so ,so many rooms and apartments , etc etc. and I am sure you will take by yourself a common sense decision, GO. Have a
great trip,