Sagarda Familia --is it worth it to go inside

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One person mentioned it isn't worth the admission price to enter the Sagarda Familia, as the best is the outside. Another recommended not going up in the tower as the view isn't so good. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM

If you have any interest in architecture, it is certainly worth going inside the unfinished cathedral. It is like nothing you have ever seen before! And because of its scale, photos don't do it justice.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:18 PM

We spent hours inside wandering up the towers and had an absolutely great time.

I don't understand when people say "it's just a construction site" -- the most powerful aspect of the Sagrada Familia is that the structure is part of a living, on-going process that is a tribute to Gaudi's vision - how incredible is it to see a work in progress like this? Walking around, seeing the work going on was very powerful and we got into a discussion about how current developers are interpreting the rest of the construction.

If you have absolutely no interest in architecture or if you're a "check off the box" type of traveler, it's something you could skip. But I say, it's totally worth it. A definitive part of my experience in BCN that I won't forget.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM

It IS "just a construction site" BUT like none you've ever seen before and how many "constrcution sites" have you even been able to go inside of?

There's a lot more inside than just constrcution to include lots of photographs, displays, etc.

Worth every penny IMO and definitely get there as early as possible as the place can become extremely crowded, and for good reason.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:34 AM

I can not believe that somebody could recommend not to visit the interior!
It is unique!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I visited in November early in the morning. The interior is absolutely worth the visit. I haven't seen architecture in a church like that before and probably never will again. I think it's the sharp contrast to what you think is a "church" that makes this exceptional. The museum in the basement is also quite interesting if you want to learn more about Gaudi and his style.

When I was there, there was a very narrow perimeter you could walk on the inside, that was it, so I can imagine it does get very crowded as the day goes on.

And with afterthought, I wish I had gone up in the towers. The line at 10 a.m. was already an hour long, and I skipped it. But now, I wish I hadn't!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Wow-an hour long line at 10 am. We had planned to go there the morning after we arrive...hope I can get everyone up and out early. Maybe we'll treat it like Disneyworld at rope drop!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
missypie, I'd get there when they open and head right to the tower. I saw the whole interior first and obviously missed the window of opportunity to not have to stand in line! I'd definitely not miss it though.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Definatetly worth the visit - saw it very recently.
http://stumblebumstravels.blogspot.c...ch-border.html
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We are definitely going inside!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:22 AM

>>>"Another recommended not going up in the tower as the view isn't so good.<<<"

It's really not about the view from high atop the cathedral. The cathedral is the view. This is the best way to see the intricate architecture up close. I spent several hours here. I hope I live long enough to attend mass here someday. There is no cathedral like it.

Larry J
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:23 AM

Architecture overlaps with a previous professional interest of mine.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with those who enjoyed it (but then I didn't care for Barcelona itself). It is this hugely depressing, almost oppressive (so much dark stone everywhere) "building" which reminds me of a very ahead of its time silent film called Metropolis (or something along those lines). I went all the way to the top of the tower and walked down again, the views away from the construction itself are by far the best thing.

You are best to see it from the outside as that is where it looks most impressive. It is a good metaphor for the city itself - flashy on the outside with not much to show on the inside!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:28 AM

I personally do not think it is worth entering.

I have been 5 times over the past decade and back when you could climb the towers to the top and play around, it was awesome. Now, though, there are lines to get in, the paths are narrow and busy, there are more lines to go up some elevator that takes you to the same level as a 4th floor apartment (not worh the view), and there is a lot of petty theft inside the gates (and outside, to be honest).

If you do go inside, you should visit the little schoolhouse museum, which is interesting if you have not see la Pedrera (which is much better done).

I think that if you are going to do all the Gaudí stuff then the SG should be enjoyed from the outside. parc Güell is for running around and relaxing on benches, getting seeing great views, and getting Gaudí insight through a visit to his home. Casa Milà (La pedrera) is beautiful insight (though extremely fictionalized. . . the apartment they have is actually 2 put together) into aristocratic Catalán living at the turn of the century, and the attic has an impressive array of architectural models and such. That is where you see the good stuff.

The SG was totally amazing a few years ago, but now that the construction is getting more and more, and the crowds also, it seems like a waste. Then again, if you feel like you are cheating yourself by not entering, do it.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:32 AM

m kingdom42 wrote: "Architecture overlaps with a previous professional interest of mine."

What is the purpose of this statement? It looks to me as if you are trying to establish credentials as an expert in order to give your judgement extra weight. It is of little consequence to me whether or not you liked the Sagrada Familia: that's for you.

I found it very interesting. And I think interesting is the key word rather than beautiful. If you want pretty, go elsewhere.

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:48 AM

I think it is worth going inside, but not for the same reasons that one would visit any other of Europe's cathedrals.

Most of these great European cathedrals were built over a period of hundreds of years (constructed, extended, rebuilt, stopped, started, redesigned, etc.) but were all completed long before any of us were born.

We admire them with awe, but looking at the finished product it's hard to appreciate the incredible work that went into building them.

That's why I think it's amazing to be able to witness the construction of a major cathedral.

That said, if you are at all claustrophobic, I don't recommend going up the tower, as some of the spaces and staircases are very confined. I didn't like it at all and had to go back down.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:24 AM

I never vist anywhere expecting pretty, the modernist styles that I admire and try to incorporate in my own home would never be described as "pretty".

Gaudi for me fails as an architect, his designs are so "fantastical" that this construction project is still ongoing. I can't imagine anyone entertaining such an idea today. As for the apartments, another disappointment as it's walking around a series of empty rooms. I want to see his interior schemes, if I want empty rooms I can visit any apartment in London. This is why in the UK all our "stately" (i.e. properties you can visit, rather than its stricter meaning) homes etc. are such as joy as they tend to have plenty of original furniture or at least faithful reproductions to create an atmosphere and help one imagine its actual use.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:30 AM

But what does ANY of that gobbledegook have to do with visiting a building under construction. No, you're right. There is no furniture or finished interiors. Duh?
I guess all you've said is you only enjoy visiting finished and furnished buildings? OK, then of course you wouldn't want to visit Sagarda Familia.

I found it fascinating.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:35 AM

Can we move on? The OP has already decided to visit the inside.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:06 AM

m kingdom hates it. I am there!!! (That's proof it's worth going to IMHO.)
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I won't weigh in on whether it is worth it to go inside the Sagrada Familia, since there seem to be two opposing schools of thought (for me it wasn't).

But mk2 mentioned that the Gaudi apartment was unfurnished. If he is referring to the apartment at La Pedrera, it was furnished when I visited in February.

And it is interesting to learn, Claire, that the apartment is actually constructed from two apartments. They must have been rather small then.