versaille/giverney

Search

versaille/giverney

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
versaille/giverney

My family and I will be going to Paris in August and we would like to spend a day touring Versaille and Giverney. Is it possible to go from one to the other in the same day?
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM

It is possible, but I wouldn't do it. There is so much to see in Versaille, that to rush it would be a shame.

However, my style of traveling is to pick a few things and then try to really experience them. I know that others like to see "highlights."
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM

I think you'd end up being disappointed. They are not close together. There is some perhaps some touring company that would you spirit you from one place to the other, but I can't imagine they'd show you more than what you'd see if you turned the pages of a picture book -- and possibly less.

If you end up giving up on one, I would suggest you see Versailles, provided it is not 100 degress in the shade (there's not much shade in Versailles).
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Possible? Sure. Advisable? No.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Ny husband and I planned a day for each of these beautiful places. We started off as early as we could. When we returned we were still fresh enough to do other "in Paris" activities such as a stroll down the Champs-Elysees. Don't rush to do them the same day, you won't see it all and you will be wiped out with fatigue. Both require train rides as well as a lot of walking. I hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for advice. We are only going to have 2 full days in Paris, so we wanted to see as much as possible. Not sure when we will return.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you only have 2 days in Paris, you might want to skip both. I don't think you can see even the "highlights/must-sees" of Paris in 2 days.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM

Ditto what Jean said. You'll be overwhelmed -- happily overwhelmed -- by the sights of Paris. You won't feel cheated to skip Versailles and Giverny.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM
a1139a

Definitely skip the excursion. And if you only have two days, skip the Louvre too...just wander around and pick out the things you want to do on your next trip when you have more time.

www.hereinfranklin.wordpress.com

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM

Both Parisvision and Cityrama (the 2 largest tour bus companies in Paris) offer Versailles and Giverny combos.

However, if you have only 2 days in Paris and you have not been before (and spent much time there) I would not leave the city to visit these places....unless it is some lifelong dream to do so. There is way too much to do in Paris IMHO.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM

I second skipping the Louvre (unless it's raining)... I waited until my third trip to Paris to go inside and was underwhelmed. I found the Musee D'Orsay and Centre Pompidou (if you like modern art) much more interesting.

If you're definitely set on going to either Versailles or Giverny, let the weather decide.

NICE WEATHER: I'd pick Giverny. Monet's garden is spectacular in the sun, and you can even ride there on a bike from the Vernon station (about 5 km, I think) rather than taking the bus. I did it, and it's a totally heavenly escape from the city.

BAD WEATHER: I would pick Versailles. Granted the gardens are HUGE, but you can still enjoy looking at them through the windows of the chateau.

I would never do both in a day, though (and I'm an extreme traveller).