Italy help - Cities and small towns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a longtime poster, I know the best way to plan: Read past posts, other sites, etc. Doing so, I've changed my mind many times about the best way to go about our fall trip and now I'd like your input on the best way to accomplish our goal of some city time/some small town time.

Preface: I've been to Rome twice (last time was about 10 years ago) and Florence once (same time frame). DH has not been to Italy at all. We travel to France twice a year (on average) and have also been throughout the UK many, many times. NOTE: We are not wealthy, but I enjoy the challenge of finding a good bargain

Set in stone:
October 28: Arrive at CDG 11:30
November 8: Back to Paris to spend 10 days in apartment.

No reservations (flight, train, hotels) yet for:
October 28 - Nov. 8 in Italy

Seems that flying CDG into Venice on 10/28 and Rome to CDG on 11/8 is the best way to go from a financial standpoint.

Also realize that train reservations aren't necessary, but we can go point-to-point in Italy.

I want to see Rome and Venice. How much time would you allow for each of those cities and where would you stop on the way to and from?

What we like to do:
Museums
walking around town, people-watching, lots of stops for cafe outdoors, evening strolls, good local food and wine.

Need to keep in mind that we don't wish to rent a car this trip so towns need to be accessible from train stops. We enjoy our Harley, however, and have tossed around the idea of renting scooters in the towns (NOT ROME OR FLORENCE).

I've looked at various towns that seem lovely, but I'm not sure if they are viable for this trip and how much time we need to just absorb some of the atmosphere. For example: Cinque Terre, Venezia, Padua, Montepulciano..

Totally open to other suggestions, options. Many thanks for your consideration of this. I look forward to your suggestions.

Mel
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM

Looking forward to reading the replies. Bookmarking.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM

For your time frame, I would put the thought of motorcycle travel into the category of "let's see what the weather is like when we get there." -- and after you've seen how Italians drive their motorcycles!

I would just divide my time between the two cities with stunning day trips if you feel like it.

For Venezia, if you also want to get beyond the tourist throngs (which will be smaller n your time frame), I would research day trips to Torcello, Treviso, Verona (especially for its art museum). Definitely see the Accademia museum in Venezia. Think about staying in the Dorsoduro, or the Arsenale, and in general try to scope out your quiet corners so you can return to them. Don't stay in San Marco, partly because it's the only place you risk morning floods in your time frame.

In Roma, research day trips to Orvieto, Tivoli, Ostia Antica, Tarquinia (for its world class Etruscan museum) but mainly get into those atmospheric corners of Roma itself at your leisure, and enjoy the museums, the strolls and the piazzas, like around the Portico d'Ottavia or the piazzas in Trastevere. If you really don't mind a bit of extra walking, book yourselves into Trastevere.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM

PS: Your biggest problem with "good local food" will come in Venezia. Its defenders will howl at me for saying so, but it's just tough to have the same kind of good food experiences one has elsewhere in Italia. If good food and wine is really key to your enjoyment, you might think about basing yourself in Treviso (mmmmm -- ever eat those beautiful long red cabbages from there? You're going in just the season). From there you would be day tripping to Venezia -- and you'll lose something of the experience of Venezia.

If you want good food in Venezia, you're going to have to study in advance.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM

One more thought:

If a longish stay in Venezia doesn't appeal to you, despite its staggering amount of art treasures, more than can be seen in a week, you might put Ferrara into your itinerary, with side trips by train to Ravenna and Bologna, and eat, eat, eat.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, mel,

how exciting. you've got 14 days [if i've got my maths right] to spend between Vencie and Rome.

my usual idea [works well for us] is to divide a trip into three, preferably different sections. that works well if you count Venice and Rome as sections 1 & 3- but what to put in the middle?

if you were prepared to have a car, I'd suggest a stay in an agritourismo in tuscany or Umbria; as you aren't how so you fancy a walking or cycling holiday? there are several companies who do these [headwater is one that springs to mind] and that time of year would be great as it wouldn't be too hot for activity.

given you've already been to Rome, you could do 4 nights in Venice, a week's activity, and then 3 in Rome.

if that doesn't appeal, you could do worse than renting an apartment for a week in each place. WE spent a week in Venice at easter with our kids [for my trip report click on my name] and filled every day very easily.

good luck,

regards, ann
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM

You could easily spend all of your time (as already pointed out) in just Venice and Rome. But to experience smaller towns would be nice, too!

I would say that the Cinque Terre area is too far out of the way for the trip you have in mind; also, not the best time of year for that locale.

We considered visiting Padua on our last trip to Italy, but it didn't fit in - it sounded very appealing, though. You could visit Padua and Vicenza (Venezia is the name in Italian for Venice) as day trips from Venice, or spend the night in either place (also consider Ferrara and Verona). We LOVE Bologna, but we drove there - I'm not sure of the train routes from Venice to Bologna to Rome. You could visit those other cities/towns from Bologna as well.

Montepulciano is a beautiful little town, but I think it might be a hassle to get out and around there without a car.

Another town to consider that would be easier to get to is Orvieto.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:25 AM

>>I'm not sure of the train routes from Venice to Bologna to Rome.<<

You go through Bologna (and Ferrara) to get to Roma on the train.

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM

Here is an idea: fly to venice, stay 3 nights. take the train to Verona in the early morning and stay 1 night (you'll have 1.5 days to tour around); take the train to Florence late in the day, stay in Florence for 4 nights; pick up a car and drive through Tuscany enroute to Rome. I'd stay again in Montalcino, see the area vineyards, S'Antimo, Sienna, etc for 2-3 nights. Drive to Rome and drop your car at the airport - take public transportation into Rome. Spend your remaining time there. The larger rental car agencies have counters in or very near the Florence Train station. I wouldn't attempt to drive anywhere near Rome proper. And, while we may be very directionally challenged...I'd recommend a navigation system for the car. If nothing else, you may need it to get out of Florence!
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM

I think OP didn't want to rent a car, right?

I agree I'd break up the trip a bit, but maybe not so much. You could do something like:

Venice 3 days
Bologna 1 day
Sienna / Montepulciano 3 days
Rome 3 days (fly to Paris from Rome)

Not sure about how much time I gave Bologna... Zeppole would know better.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM

I'd suggest keeping in mind the November 1 holiday (All Saints Day)and adjacent weekend when planning your time.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

You guys are the BEST!! I'm finally getting excited about this trip now!

I love the idea of Bologna--forgot how much I wanted to go there.
Ravenna, Verona, Vicenza (that's what I meant when I said Venezia-sorry!)and Orvieto sound great.

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM

If you love the idea of Bologna, try to base there, because it's a great train hub and you can easily enjoy nearby smaller cities, while coming "home" to eat a fantastic dinner after dark. And you can easily visit
Ravenna, Ferrara, Faenza, Parma, Modena... even day trip to Firenze if you feel like it. All depends on your interests.

Be aware if you daytrip to Vicenza by train that some of the most prized Palladian sights are only reachable by car, but tours are available.

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM

in bologna the trains are good and so are the buses for local travel. personnaly i would stay in bologna for 2-3 days and enjoy that area. wonderful food and a grat old section to exp[lore and stay in. try the hotel roma its right in the center of the old section and friendly staff.