Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Verneuil, Danube, or Grandes Ecoles - WHICH ONE?

Mar 17th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Which Left Bank hotel? They are all charming. Please help us decide!!!
Mar 17th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Hi Virginia4,
we (3 friends) stayed at Grand Ecoles in Juy 2001.
Very charming.
We arrived very late, 1 am on the saturday as our Air France flight Venice to Paris had been cancelled due to a strike!
I rang my husband in Australia and asked him to contact the hotel and tell them to keep our room for the planned 3 nights. Our arrival time was no longer midday Saturday!Arrival time unknown.
Everthing that could go wrong did.We eventually arrived CDG via Frankfurt
at approx 2300 hours..caught the last Air France bus to the Arc Triomphe and then waited in the pouring rain with many others for a taxi.
Eventually caught a taxi, but the driver got confused as Cardinal Lemoine is a way one street..one way and the opposite another!
When we got to the hotel, the gates were obviously closed. No one answered the bell...it was pouring with rain. We "broke" into the garage next to the hotel and left one friend with our luggage to stay dry.
Ann and I removed our Jewellery etc and proceeded to run in the rain through the Latin quarter.
We found a bar which was open and they were very helpful. They thought we had been mugged! They rang the hotel and woke up the night porter and he eventually let us in. My very wet confirmation letter did not impress him as it was hardly readable!
We eventually booked in and went to bed about 0200 hours.
Would stay there again
Mar 17th, 2004, 04:50 PM

Last month I stayed 2 nights at the Verneuil and then another 2 nights at the Danube. I apologize for being truthful about my opinion but I truly disliked the Danube. I realize that alot of people here do like the Danube. On the other hand I had a very enjoyable stay at the Verneuil.

As I stated, this is my opinion only. After 2 nights at the Verneuil in a charming but modern room with totally friendly and helpful staff members I was very disappointed with the Danube. I expected the room to be charming and it was okay but after a while the florals just was too much. Plus the bathroom was too old-fashioned and did not have the amenities as the Verneuil (no soap dishes even).
I could have accepted those things about the room and bathroom but the staff were all pretty cold. This was discussed already and I learned that maybe my visit was a one-off thing with the staff being unfriendly as other guests state they experienced very warm staff members. I don't mean that I expected a buddy just that when a guest arrives, for example, there was no welcome at all. I was not rude to them-gee, I just walked in with my luggage. I noticed the same reaction with another guest asking for directions to the Louvre-just plain cold. Same thing when I asked for the key, it was just handed to me without any greeting.
In short though, the Danube is in a great position as the Verneuil.
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:43 PM
awbaker

I also liked the Verneuil and would stay there again. If you are staying for more than 3 days, though, you may want to get the deluxe room. The standard rooms are small. The standard room was fine with us, but we didn't spend much time in the room. The staff was lovely, as was the decor. Location is fantastic. Grand Ecoles looks charming on the web site, and my in-laws friend recently stayed there. He only had good things to say. This probably doesn't help your decision!

Here's a mention of the Verneuil on Travel and Leisure: http://travelandleisure.com/Invoke.c...B20002B3309983

Mar 17th, 2004, 06:44 PM

I agree with awbaker about the small size of the Verneuil's standard double rooms. They are very small. In general, once you open your front door, the bed is just a few steps away. I cannot imagine how much smaller a single room is.
I, too, second the suggestion of reserving a deluxe double room if you're staying a few days at the Verneuil. It will have a canopied bed and alot more space. Also there are two bathrobes available for your use.
However, keep in mind the rates at the Verneuil are much more than at both the Danube and Grandes Ecoles. But you really get alot for what you pay for.
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Thank you awbaker for the article. I am not sure where I put my magazine that has the article.
I forgot that there is the Therese which is related to the Verneuil. However, Therese is on the other side of the river and much more modern than Vernueil yet it looks nice also.
Mar 18th, 2004, 03:33 AM
awbaker

francophile --

I think our double standard must have been a little larger than yours. We were in a beautiful pink room on the 2nd floor by the street. It was small, and maybe after living in small NYC apartments it didn't seem terribly small, but we still had a nice reading chair by the window and a wardrobe on each side of the bed.

They also showed us a nice green room on the 4th or 5th floor, but I didn't want to rely on the elevator (now that was tiny!!) I thought it was a nice touch that they gave us a choice even though we didn't ask for one.

Mar 18th, 2004, 05:12 AM

awbaker, we were on the 4th floor (room 401-standard double/room 402-deluxe double). Your fear of the elevator is understandable. It can fit two people with no room to spare or one person with luggage.
The one thing to be aware of is that the elevator is up one flight of stairs from the ground floor so you have to carry your luggage up the stairs to reach the elevator.

It's good you got a choice of rooms to select. I didn't think of looking at other rooms as mine was good enough. I'm not sure about the size of the room in comparison with yours. However, I also had a chair next to the window (overlooks the "courtyard") and a desk in a corner next to the window. And there are two narrow closets on either side of the bed.

Will your in-laws be staying at the Verneuil?

Mar 18th, 2004, 09:39 AM
awbaker

franco -

I reserved a "charming" (their word for superior) room for them at Hotel de la Brettonnerie in the Marais after reading about it here, Karen Brown & trip advisor. They both turn 70 this year, and love the arts. Bearing that in mind, I thought maybe the Marais district (hotel is very close to the Seine, rather than further in) might be closer to the musuems (except musee d'orsay.) Grand Ecoles won't take their reservation until June (4 months prior), so I thought I better go ahead and book a 2nd hotel as a backup.

Do you think the Brettonnerie would be a better location for them than Grand Ecoles? They are in good shape to walk, but they still are 70. I don't know the Latin Quarter as well as the Marais of the 6th. Here is the web site: http://www.bretonnerie.com/hotel-sta...?id=26&lang=en

Mar 18th, 2004, 11:02 AM

I haven't walked past the Brettonerie but I always read really good reviews about it. It has no a/c but I doubt your in-laws will need it. I think since the location close to the river your in-laws will be able to walk around comfortably to the 6th and 5th and even the 1st. I visited the Marais once and it's very nice. However, I think you did the right thing in reserving this hotel because the Grandes Ecoles is very strict about their reservation times. Again I haven't gone past the Grandes Ecoles (no a/c also) but if it's in the 5th district that district is pretty busy. But the hotel is not on a really busy street and it's a bit uphill I believe I've read-not really much of a problem.
Mar 18th, 2004, 11:41 AM
awbaker

I was worried about the hills for them. My father-in-law is in great shape, but they will probably bother my mother-in-law.

BTW, I just received the nicest email from Slvie de Lattre at the Verneuil. She wanted to offer an upgrade to the superior room, but just couldn't because they (my in-laws) are going at the height of fashion season in Paris. I wish they could stay there, but their "charming" room at the Bretonnerie is 145E, and over 11 nights they would save almost 500E by not spending 190E/nt at the Verneuil. Hope that made sense?!

Franco -- I would love to pick your brain on my italy itinerary since we seem to have similar tastes on hotels in Paris. Would you mind terribly emailing me? [email protected]

Mar 18th, 2004, 01:46 PM

We stayed at the Grandes Ecoles for 5 nights in September and were completely satisfied. Our room was small but not tiny, and had a balcony overlooking a quiety, leafy alley. The bathroom was small but adequate. We were in the main building. The hotel is on a quiet street and the only "noise" we heard was the children singing in the school nearby. The staff was very friendly, especially when my husband wanted to iron his shirts. They were very impressed with that and even bought a new ironing board when they saw how he had to bend over to iron! It is an uphill walk from the metro to the hotel (about 2 blocks)--not a problem for us but we are in good shape. Have a great trip to Paris!
Mar 18th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Amy, I think your in-laws will like the Brettonerie. The difference in rates is quite alot-just think what they can do with the savings. For sure, it would have been great to have them stay at the Verneuil but not at 190 euros/night for 11 nights.
I've contacted Brettonerie about a year ago to inquire about rates and the woman who replies to the emails is very helpful and friendly just like the staff at Verneuil.
Mar 18th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. At least I have narrowed it down to Verneuil vs. Grandes Ecoles. Both seem to be liked by everyone. The Verneuil is bit more expensive but is incredibly well located. Can anyone tell me whether Grandes Ecoles is convenient? Is it possible to walk from there to St Germain? To the Louvre? Again thanks.
Mar 18th, 2004, 07:32 PM

Hi Amy, I sent you an email. I'm not sure if you received it by now.
Mar 18th, 2004, 07:45 PM

Virginia, I don't think it'll be a problem to walk from Grandes Ecoles to St. Germain as the 5th and 6th districts are next to the other.
But if you can afford it I think you'll like the Verneuil. I don't know the Grandes Ecoles other than what I've read and seen in picutures, however, I can tell there is a big difference between the two hotels.
Grandes Ecoles reminds me alot of Hotel du Danube in decor and furnishings. At Verneuil the rooms are individually decorated. They retain the original look of the building such as the beamed ceilings and there isn't an overabundance of frills and florals. Also the bathrooms at the Verneuil are very modern (marble with modern hardware and very large shower heads with great water pressure). The bathrooms at Grandes Ecoles look a bit outdated in comparison.
If you really want to stay in St. Germain then you should choose the Verneuil.
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Virgina, which hotel did you choose?
Apr 12th, 2004, 10:10 AM

You can certainly walk from the Grandes Ecoles to both the Louvre and St Germain, depending on how much you like to walk. There is no need to, you could take the metro. Saint-Germain is a large area, so you can walk to it, but I wouldn't want to walk from it all the way to the western edge of St-Germain. You could, though. The hotel is right near the Cardinal Lemoine metro stop which is right on the metro line directly to St-Germain. It's not difficult to get to the Louvre by metro from there, either, just change at Jussieu.
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

We chose the Verneuil simply because of location & it was a great choice. We loved the area & we loved being walking distance from the Musee d'Orsay, the Louvre & the Seine. As described, the hotel was absolutely charming, small but pleasant rooms with beamed ceilings, & marble, well appointed bathrooms. Our room, 404, faced the quiet street & was sunny & light, while our children's room, 405, faced the rear courtyard & was rather dark. The staff was delightful & most helpful.
Apr 12th, 2004, 08:30 PM

Virginia, at the Verneuil my and my aunt's rooms were across the hall from your rooms. I had the standard double, room #401, and my aunt had the deluxe double next to my room, #402.

Strange that the bathroom was almost as large as my room itself. I even had a bidet in my bathroom while in my aunt's room-even though a deluxe room-did not. She got a bathrobe though.