Venice - which neighborhood to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're making our first trip to Venice in October and I can't sort out where we should stay. We'd like all the major sights to be accessible on foot, but we'd also like to avoid touristy places. Neighborhood recommendations MUCH appreciated!!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM

I recommend the Dorsoduro or San Polo areas. However, I last stayed in Cannaregio which is the farthest away from most sites and still found it a convenient location, not to mention very local and away from the crowds. Venice is really easy to get around either on foot or using the vaporetto since it's quite compact.

Since this is your first trip, I think that Dorsoduro or San Polo would be a good choice since you will be a bit closer to the main sites than in Cannaraegio. Save that area for a second visit.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM

I agree with Statia. I'm most partial to where Dorsoduro meets San Polo, but really, you can get away from mobs of tourists in many parts of Venice, and it's almost all pretty walkable if you have the time. Walking in Venice is a joy.

Have fun.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Another vote for Dorsoduro. I have also stayed in Cannaregio and like it. But Cannaregio is farther away...not that anything is really that far from anything. One area I did not care for was the San Marco area. Nothing really wrong with San Marco, I just felt more at ease and at home in the other two. You can't really go wrong anywhere you stay. It's all Venice!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:18 PM

I love the San Polo area too klta.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM

We stayed at Ca Bonvicini in Santa Croce and loved it.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM
MaureenB

I'm guessing October won't be packed with tourists (I could be wrong). We visited Venice for the first time this past May, and stayed a couple of streets away from San Marco. It was perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as Venice is small and you will be walking all over. I'd just look for the best hotel and best price, with a canal view if you can find one. After all, where else can you get a view of a Venetian gondola gliding by??

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:16 AM
AllyPally

We went to Venice during Carnevale and didn't find the crowds as annoying as everyone makes out - guess it depends on what you're used to. We stayed at Locanda Orseolo (San Marco) which is hidden away in its own courtyard. Can be difficult to find but that very fact becomes a good thing in terms of getting away from everyone.

We adored Dorsoduro and will stay there next time. We used the traghettos to get across the canal. So much fun!

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dorsoduro is my favorite.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM
ira

Hi K,

Venice is a small city and easily walkable.

What's your budget?