Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which area in Venice would you prefer to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of the following areas would you prefer your hotel to be in?

. San Marco
. Dorsoduro
. San Polo

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Hi again Maire, personally I prefer San Polo. It is more relaxing and yet close to the Rialto Bridge, Piazza San Marco etc.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I have stayed in Cannareggio and Dursoduro.. In Sept. I am staying in San Polo. I loved the first 2. I cant imagine not loving the 3rd.
To be in Venice is what is important...
I wouldnt stay in the Lido.. too far away..
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Out of those three, I would choose Dorsoduro or San Polo. I wouldn't care to stay in San Marco.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM

I guess I could have explained myself more. Dorsoduro and San Polo are not as crowded and full of tourists as San Marco. They are a bit more away from the hectic part of the city, yet both still close to all the major sites.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I appreciate your help.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:25 AM

That said, if you are more than a couple of streets away from Piazza San Marco the crowds aren't bad at all...

First trip we stayed in a hotel called Violini d'Oro and though it's not far from the main square it was certainly not overly crowded in our opinion. Not an incredibly quiet backwater either but certainly we didn't feel as though we were mobbed by people everytime we came out of the main door.

This time we're staying in San Polo, just where it meets Dorsoduro and very near the San Toma vaporetto stop. I think this will be a great location as the vaporetto will take us to our starting points for our various meandering walks and we're lovely and central too.

Old May 10th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kavey. May I ask which hotel you're staying in?
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pensione La Calcina on the Dosoduro
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM

I was a few streets back on San Marco (Dona Palace) and I really liked the convenience. I also thought the area right next and across from the train station wasn't bad at all. I would consider this location next time so I won't have to schlepp my bags on the vaporettos.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM

I love both San Polo and Dorsoduro because they both feel like a collection of little neighborhoods, where going to the cafe or little ristorante means rubbing elbows with Venitians, and not (as much) with fellow tourists.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Venice is so small and walkable that I've generally focused on the specific hotel, rather than the neighborhood.

My first couple of trips I chose to stay in areas a bit away from the bustle. This time, we're rather close to San Marco (near the Bridge of Sighs), and I'm hoping it's far enough off the beaten path for me.

http://www.leonbianco.it/ (Cannaregio)
http://www.gaffaro.com/ (Dorsoduro)
http://www.cadeidogi.it/ (Castello)

I'd happily return to either of the first two places. But my boyfriend really liked the decor at the latter and it gets great reviews, so we're giving it a try.

I can let you know what I thought about the location next month!
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Of course! Al Campaniel... it's a simple guest house, nothing fancy, but the reviews I've found are ALL excellent and mention excellent service from the hosts, good maintainence and clean rooms and excellent location... We had a low budget so it fit best for us.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

Suze - I wrote La Calcina a few weeks ago; they never answered, but tried again today.

Kavey, Cammci and Lesli - I'll check out those hotels-- thanks for the links. I look forward to hearing about the hotel and your trip, Lesli. Hope you have a great time.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Lesli, I just checked the Gaffaro hotel. It looks really nice, the rates are good, and they have vacancy. Is it on a little canal? Are there views? And what were the showers like (curtains, enclosed, overhead shower, etc.)?
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:50 PM

I would stay near San Marco...because that's where Locanda Orseolo is located, and I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else!!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:06 PM

I had the attic room pictured on the Gaffaro's website. My "view" was of rooftops, rather than a canal. Am pretty sure I had a stall shower. (It was definitely enclosed in some manner.)

Venere has some different photos - one shows a tub with partial glass barrier.
http://tinyurl.com/eook8

Expedia has some as well - links to both from tripadvisor's reviews.

Some rooms have views of the lovely garden where breakfast is served. The hotel is not directly on a canal (though you walk by a very nice small one to reach the entrance), so you will not have water views at the Gaffaro.

The owner and his son are very nice, and I liked the location.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bean, I'll check it out. Does the Orseolo have canal views? How were the showers?

Thanks for the info and link, Lesli; I contacted them today.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:30 AM

Yes -- certain rooms at Orseolo have views over the Orseolo canal. You will have to specifically request a canal room.

Our room had a separate bathtub and shower. The shower had a hand held wand that also attached to the wall. There was an accordion door on the shower.

Frankly, I would shower with a bucket if I had to as long as I could stay there. Please check out the reviews on TripAdvisor. Everything you hear is true, and it's even better in person.
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Bean. I just got a quote from them for canal view, $210, which is a little high for me, darn it. They also have a 10-day cancellation policy which doesn't give me too much flexibility in case I have to change plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -