Venice Water Taxi Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be disembarking from a cruise in Venice. I would like to take a water taxi to our hotel. Am I correct in my understanding that water taxis are different than vaporetto (which I understand to be the mass transit in Venice)? Will we be able to get a water taxi at the port where our ship is docked?

Thank you!
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Hi OT. I have never taken a cruise that involved Venice so cannot answer that question but I would think your cruise line would know.

The difference between taking a vaporetto and the water taxi is the same as taking a public bus versus a taxi. Have a fun cruise and visit in Italy
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM

We took a short cruise out of Venice.. and when we returned the woman on the ship's desk called a taxi for us. (It was a small ship... less than 100 people.) We shared the taxi with 2 other couples (who went to different hotels) which reduced the cost. If you're on a big ship I'd investigate early.
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Make sure you find out from your hotel where the taxi should stop - and let them know exactly when you're coming - so if it's more than a block or so they have a bellman waiting for you. Otherwise you will have to drag your luggage through the streets.
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Good advice. However, if your hotel has its own landing.... no problema. Be sure to check. (As I recall our trip cost about $90 total... worth our $30 since we were splitting. Have dragged enough luggage thru Venice! -
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:19 AM
ira

Hi O,

>Am I correct in my understanding that water taxis are different than vaporetto (which I understand to be the mass transit in Venice)?<

Yes.
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! Our hotel, Hotel Galleria, is just at the foot of the Accademia Bridge and a vaporetto stop. I just didn't want to use a vaporetto because of the amount of luggage I anticipate we will have. Last time we were in Venice it was difficult using the vaporetto to get us to our hotel because of the luggage issue. I just wanted to confirm that a water taxi would be available and that it wasn't the same thing as the vaporetto.

We will be docking in Venice in exactly 3 months ... WOO-HOO!!!
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Water taxis are different that the vap which is like a big city bus. The water taxis are smaller, pretty boats that are much more expensive than the vap and the gondolas are the most expensive..(just using that as a comparison, I know you weren't asking about gondolas).