harrington halll family room or 2 doubles at the Rembrandt

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to London for 4 days in july with my husband and two children ages 10 and 12. Thanks to this forum I decided I would like to stay in South Kensington and have narrowed it down to Harrington Hall and the Rembrandt. Harrington Hall would be a family room with a king and a sofabed, breakfast and VAT included for 200 pounds which I think is a little steep but I would like your opinions out there. Unfortunately, the Rembrandt doesn't have a family room but can offer 2 standard doubles for $85 pounds each, without breakfast and Vat. i checked the landmark as well but was quoted $241 pounds without breakfast, a little out of my league. The truth is the harrington is more than I wanted to spend but would do so if I felt it was worth it.I would be interested in any other recomendation for S. Kensington fo less $$$ but only if it was as highly recommended as the others. Thanks to all of you.........
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Have you tried the Millenium Baileys or the Millenium Gloucester? There's also the Montana Hotel (www.montanahotel.co.uk).

Have you thought about renting a flat or apartment?
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Hi!!!

Funny you should ask about Harrington Hall...I just stayed there for 2 nights last week and I was very impressed. We normally do the self-catering thing, but, this was a package deal for a concert we were seeing in London and I was more then happy with the place. The room was much larger then I expected and the service was great! It was just a short walk to the Gloucester Road Station. Though I have never stayed at the Rembrandt myself, other family members have and they liked that as well.

Of course, renting a flat for the 4 days is another option, as Kayb95 suggests, and very affordable. Check out London Serviced Apartments...
http://www.londonservicedapartments.co.uk/
They offer 3 price ranges...Economy, Mid-Range and Luxury and have rentals all over London. We stayed in one of their Economy priced flats in the Earls Court area this past October for 3 nights. It was a 2 bedroom (one twin, one double), 2 bath flat with a full kitchen and living room, one block from the Earls Court Station!

Good luck!!!
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. I will check out the Millenium Baileys and Gloucester and the Montana. I was also happy to hear another good review for the Harrington. Do you think though that it is worth $200 pounds a night?
Thanks again.
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:21 PM

I had a neighbor who was a flight attendant and they always put them in Harrington Hall. She loved the hotel, we love the neighborhood..it is quite close to the flat we rented in So Ken.
My daughter stayed at the Rembrandt a couple of years ago and she was treated very well, and loved the hotel. She took a Triple room.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:22 AM

It depends on what you expect for 200 pounds a night. It's a four star hotel and it was very, very nice...rooms were big and clean...had a tv, trouser press, iron and board, tea/coffee making facility, and a hair dryer. Service in the restaurant and lounge downstairs was great too! Personally though, for that kind of money for 4 nights, I would rent a flat!!!! Our 2 bedroom, 2 bath flat even had a washer dryer in the kitchen!
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Wow how prices have changed since our stay at the Rembrandt in 2000. We spent about $125 US $ for a nice room for two with full English breakfast. we have returned twice to london since then and decided the R was too expensive. The location is great.
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Stayed at Harrington Hall in March and the price was nowhere near 200 pounds per night. It was a big double room and I don't remember exactly but around $150.00 per night.
Are you sure it is 200 dollars a night and not 200 pounds?
Loved the Hotel, the bkfast, the concierge was great. The room was spotless and kept very clean. Would stay again for sure.
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. I too was a little surprised at the price of $200 pds a night which is why I didn't book right away. But of course the room has a king bed and a pull out sofa for the kids, breakfast included and the VAT tax. I am still thinking about it, I am also going to inquire about a smaller room.
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:21 AM

We stayed at the Rembrandt for 3 nights in May 01 and it was not good. The A/C never worked (it happended to be very hot for some reason in London at that time), and worse, the management staff acted way to casually about this problem (took at least 3 complaints to get someone up there). They finally comp'd me one night's stay, but that was after several calls to their parent company. Caveat Emptor!