Reload this Page >

Venice transportation with early AM Sat flight

Notices

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight is at 7AM, and I'm wondering whether to stay in Venice or perhaps Mestre (to save $$) our last night. I understand the water buses don't run at 4 or 5 in the AM, and the taxis are outrageous. No idea how much it would cost from Mestre to Marco Polo, but thought we might save on a room there. Hate to spend so much on a room just to arise at 3 AM and probably miss breakfast, and get gouged by water taxi. Any advice?
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:43 AM

So much depends on how many are in your party, where your hotel in Venice is, how much luggage you have, etc. I'll just tell you that our group of 7 women, with all the luggage many women will bring along, arranged for a water taxi and were picked up at 4 AM for a 7 AM flight.
I usually like to stay at the airport for a very early morning flight, so much less stres, but I don't have any info on Mestre or how much that could save you. Then there's the whold commotion of changing hotels. And of course, you have to check out of Venice hotel and could lose part of your last day. The hotel might hold your luggage if you wanted to remain in Venice until later in the day.
It has been two years since I was in Venice, and we were a larger grop, so I hope others with more recent experience will post. And if you give a bit more information, that would get better responses.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:52 AM

I would just take the water taxi. I know it is expensive, but at the end of the day schlepping your stuff around to change hotels wont be worth it. The water taxi to the airport is about 20 minutes.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. Here's a little more info....it's just my husband and I, late fifties. The trip is total 10 days, so we're packing light, one piece luggage each, and at the moment, hoping to book dorsoduro at under 225 (US) per night. Plan would be to stay in Venice and enjoy as late as possible and take the last water bus. Also, unless someone has info I haven't found, there hardly seem to be any hotels near the airport, and the Courtyd is going for 255.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM

You can either take a water taxi or walk (depending on where you are staying) to Piazza Roma (located across the canal from the train station) and then take the Venice Express ground bus to the airport. This bus is only 3 euro and starts running at 5:00am, which will get you to the airport at 5:20am. I don't think the airline counters open any earlier than this.

You might consider staying at a hotel or apartment which is within walking distance to Piazza Roma. The apartment I always stay use is Palazzo Foscarini, located in Dorsoduro and still within walking distance to Piazza Roma. I highly recommend it-

http://tinyurl.com/canalg

Here is a good link for help-

http://tinyurl.com/azdcpe

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM

Even packing light, there are bridges up and down every few blocks, which make the walking more arduous. I am sticking with my water taxi suggestions.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:42 PM

hi giftnurse,

I'm with ellene on this. you're giving yourselves loads of angst for the price of one meal in Venice, when you're staying 10 days. repeat after me: "I am going on holiday".

the water taxi will cost about €90. no need to tip. you would miss breakfast in the hotel at Mestre as you would have to leave by 5am. you would also miss your last night in Venice.

start saving now!

regards, ann

PS - I just thought of the alilaguna service - here's the link
http://www.alilaguna.com/funzione=1&...alore=8&modo=6

the blu line goes from san Marco to the airport every hour from 3.54 [i think - check the timetable]. so if you accommodation is anywhere near san marco, you could catch this - the fare is ? €12 each.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help. I had read somewhere that the Alilaguna wasn't available that early...perhaps wrong..but I took action today and did the whole thing. I booked 3 nights at La Calcina, plan to spend that last day enjoying, having dinner, and heading for the airport by 9. Booked one night at the Titian, after reading many good reviews, for a great price..including early breakfast and a very inexpensive shuttle to the airport. BTW, found discount codes for Venere online. Now to plan excursions and museum reservations for Florence.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM

I think you made a good decision. Water taxi arrangements can be interrupted by bad weather, as I have posted here before, and the stress isn't worth it.

You should contact your airline on arrival. The gate for our 7 AM flight wasn't even open until 6, so we got up and then stood around the airport for an unnecessary hour. Again, don't believe me. Check with staff at the airport itself, easy if you are flying in.